SMB vs other 4wd systems

Myvanisbetter

Observer
Looking to replace my recently stolen 05 E350 Clydesdale conversion and have come across an 04 SMB with the Atlas tcase. Not sure what suspension components or axle is under the van as I am waiting on a request for more pictures.

That being said, how does a SMB compare to a van that has been converted with a Ujoint kit? or a Quigley?

This van is out of state for me and I would like to get a feel for what I'm getting in to before flying 1,300 miles for it.

Thanks!

Pic of the stolen van for views!

6phNBNX.jpg

torqluvas

Observer
Both Ujoint and SMB use the tried and true leaf spring approach although Ujoint is now also offering a coil conversion kit. Ujoint sources truck axles and SMB specs a dynatrac prorock 60 on the front. SMB uses an arguably overkill Atlas transfer case and Ujoint prefers the NV271. A Quigley is... well a Quigley.

Some relevant info in this thread: http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/f10/conversion-costs-3250.html

Sorry about your loss.

I thought smb uses dynatrca rear too?
ujoint been using the mg coil kit.

Sorry about your loss indeed, clean van you got there.

TomsBeast

Atlas cases have a good reputation for sure, fitting of a new $110k SMB 4x4 Econoline. But Atlas T cases aren't cheap, the only downside I see.

SMB matches the rear 8 on 6.5" lug pattern with a Dana 60 front axle with some high quality propriety parts. The downside as I see it is this can make front brake rotor and I think wheel bearing/hub replacement, much, MUCH less convenient if you break and need something now.

Ujoint uses more 'off the shelf' Ford Truck parts in their conversions, the T case and Dana 60 front axle sourced from a Ford truck, used in unmodified form (other than manual Warn hubs) for instance. Ford truck 8 on 170mm lug pattern wheels (different from Ford van pattern of 8 on 6.5", by about 3/16", uh...) Van to truck steel rear wheel adapters can be used without fear, if your van came with a full float Dana 60. If it came with a semi-float, you're better off sourcing a rear axle from the same truck that the front axle came out of.

I don't see a downside to either

stormlover

Adventurer
I thought smb uses dynatrca rear too?
ujoint been using the mg coil kit.

Sorry about your loss indeed, clean van you got there.

SMB included a Dynatrac Prorock80 rear axle as un upgrade. Otherwise, most of the vans went out the door with a D60 semi-floater. Not ideal for a 10,000lb van.

Atlas cases have a good reputation for sure, fitting of a new $110k SMB 4x4 Econoline. But Atlas T cases aren't cheap, the only downside I see.

SMB matches the rear 8 on 6.5" lug pattern with a Dana 60 front axle with some high quality propriety parts. The downside as I see it is this can make front brake rotor and I think wheel bearing/hub replacement, much, MUCH less convenient if you break and need something now.

I don't think there is anything proprietary about how SMB is (was) doing the front end. Hubs are Warn and bearings are Timken. Axle shafts and ball joints are Dana Spicer. Tie rod ends are Moog. Brakes are OEM. Rotors are 95-98 Ford F350. The ABS sensors, however, are GM. It doesn't vary much from year to year but bigger brakes did come on the 2008+ vans.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles