In search of a co-driver for the 2019 Baja 4000

MuleShoer

Adventurer
Ok so here the current plan:
We are in process of building up my 2005 TJ AEV Brute. New R2.8 Cummins, New 6 speed transmission, new differentials new long arm suspension and a host of other up grades in preparation for expedition travel in north America. I will post details but it will be race prepped for this effort
Entry will be in the race rally class not the touring class, almost the same except 8 special stages
Baja 4000 Rally date is early January 2019
I am looking for a co-driver, cost is half the entry fee ($600) and personnel expenses, I will cover all vehicle cost including navigation gear and comms.
This is a 10 day rally, leaving LA, running both cost of Baja and ending LA
I would prefer some one with strong experience in baja travel mexican/spanish language a plus, Must be ok with dirt sand dust and marginal food for 3-4 days without a shower we will bivouac nightly until the halfway point lay day. In other words no whiners.
This is a charity raising event as well for the children of Baja
Being well prepped should help assure a lot of fun

Pete

wheelie

Wheelie
Pete,

I may be your guy. I have Pre run Baja on KTM's at speed. I am also an old Trials rider,Ice racer, Hare Scrambles, Rock Crawler and more, so picking a line is important. Especially in a road legal TJ, which has it's limits, even if it does have a long wheelbase.
I would be out of my element in a trophy truck.....Because 160mph on a dry lake bed is above my prior toy budget.
But I am the guy that people want to bring along when Macgyver skills are needed. Just ask?

Let me know if you need Baja specific references to further the conversation.

I might even consider using my Tiger CX 4x4 Duramax for a chase rig, depending on levels of support allowed. The only thing I am not qualified to do on the trail
is Internal Cummins engine work.

MuleShoer

Adventurer
Wheelie thanks for the reply.
If you haven't already take a look at the Bamako Baja 4000 website. It is a points rally not a timed event. By eliminating the timed portion you reduce speed and the critical skills become navigation accuracy. Also there is no support other then medevaic incase of emergency. to finish is to win as 1st pays the same as last.
Regarding the Brute you can follow the build in the jeep section which I just started. Also the suspension is essentially a full race coilover system, currie is building the housings, King is build the coilers and Axis is building and installing the long arm and tuning so it will be the least of my worries... The Rally is meant to be a fun and challenging adventure PM if your interest peaks further

Judoka

Learning To Live
Way too tempting! Ha! Honestly the rig is far too built for my personal tastes in this type of event, so I would be a bad candidate. Now if you were running a stock Kia Sol in the race I would be jumping at the chance! All silliness aside, I hope you have a great race. I am considering getting in on it as well, but running a much less capable vehicle for the challenge. I have run several adventure races on my Honda XRs in Baja, and I feel like it is time to try it less equipped. If I do and get an earlier start I will be waiting for that gentle tap from your TJ telling me "Get out of the way".

MuleShoer

Adventurer
HaHa overbuilt???? more like way overboard.. my philosophy is capability ready and hope you don't need it. The suspension is design for comfort on crappy roads.
we are about two weeks from completion. I will update the build this weekend after I install the expo gear. then its a bunch of road test time before I head up to the ROAM west rally in june
I did get a co driver, young strong marine, I need the extra energy. If you sign up let us know so we can tag up before the start

Judoka

Learning To Live
I sure will ! It should be a wonderful time indeed. I got some news today which might make this a greater possibility for me.

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
Baja 4000 is pretty much a endurance TSD Rally, not stage rally or desert race/rally NORA event. Its very much like Alcan 5000 but in sand not snow. I'm considering running it in 2019. I retired from Stage Rally in 2014

MuleShoer

Adventurer
2019 Route has been posted, looks great. this time it will be counter clockwise going into Baja through Tecate and coming out through Tijuana and ending in LA, 3000 miles later!!

Last edited:

Judoka

Learning To Live
Where in Kentucky are you? I thought dueling Banjos was tennessee / alabama..lol

Oh trust me; Kentucky is every bit as backwards as either of those two states! I call Knoxville Tennessee Home, but I spent most of my adult life out West, so I know what I am talking about there. Think about it for a minute really. Banjos are predominantly a BLUEGRASS musical instrument, Ever wonder where the name Bluegrass might have come from? That is what the area surrounding Lexington Kentucky is called. I just say "Dueling Banjos Kentucky" because out where I live is almost like something straight out of Deliverance!
:eek:

I live in a farming community in North Eastern KY. My place in particular is in the "bad" farmland area of the county, so folks are not very blessed financially and have been making due for generations. That may mean eating Possum and catfish from a polluted river, and growing what grows best in the rocky soil of the steep slopes of the ridges and deep in the holler. Basically anything from tobacco to Blackberries to.... Weeds seem to grow tall out in that area as well they say. So I have to monitor my property closely to make sure that those weeds don't take root anywhere on my land. Can you hear those Banjos playing now? HAHAHAHAHA!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles