Stoked about the new Gofast camper

Brost

Ya trade off between maneuverability with the truck mount vs the luxury of hardwalls and more room.

Which trailers?

Clutch

<---Pass
Ya trade off between maneuverability with the truck mount vs the luxury of hardwalls and more room.

Which trailers?

I mainly base camp. Use dirt bikes, mountain bikes, and hiking boots for back country exploring. After years and years with a truck mounted camper, having everything tied to the truck gets a bit annoying. IIRC, had a Wildernest on and off for about 10 years now. So I know the plus and minuses of that style camper. Doing less exploring with the truck now, and more with other means. Really only use the truck to get to the trailheads, and slightly off the beaten path.

Just a plain cargo trailer. Then I'll insulate and do a small build out myself. Don't need to many much amenities. Simple countertop and a few cabinets at the nose. Just enough to toss a camp stove on. Leave the rest open for bikes, and a cot for sleeping.

Like I said earlier, those wedge style campers are nice, but you don't get much square footage for the dollar. And since they don't open to the side like my Wildernest I would be loosing space if I bought one. Might work if I only used the truck, but riding moto, have a lot of gear that I take with me.

Seem to be looking at 6X12 trailers currently, as a Tacoma should still be able to pull it if you don't overload it. A dirt bike is 7' long tip to tip. That gives me another 5' for a kitchen.

$4000 vs $10'000? $4K for more space makes more sense to me. Plus gets all the weight off the truck, and since I already have a Wildernest...doesn't make much sense to buy another camper similar to it.

https://www.trailersplus.com/Idaho/...r74eJjmMUPI90ApBMrqQNUY4in7LhmeqNtGwcN0Ntan1s

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
So how are people handling bugs with their setups? Tailgate down, upper door up to get in or out (or just upper door up and crawling over the TG). I can see mosquito's being a nuisance anytime the whole setup is opened.

With my Wildernest if you leave the back open, it likes to attract bugs of all sorts...even the occasional humming bird. Do have a separate screen door for it, but never use it. Just have to remember to keep the back closed up...which I never do...

The screen looks like this.

a89a928bce0190b5a51835bdcc8ad2b8.jpg

shade

So how are people handling bugs with their setups? Tailgate down, upper door up to get in or out (or just upper door up and crawling over the TG). I can see mosquito's being a nuisance anytime the whole setup is opened.
We were just discussing this in a future owner's thread.

Rather than internal screens attached to the GFC canopy frame, I'm considering making a net skirt that would attach to the lower GFC tent frame and drape to the ground, with enough slack to allow the canopy door to be opened with the netting still reaching the ground. I like the idea of having a little space around the truck bug free, and access inside the canopy wouldn't be complicated with needing to reattach a screen. A few small anchor points could be added to the tent frame if the shock cord wasn't able to sufficiently support the net by nesting into a perimeter slot.

aaen

Adventurer
Just get a thermacell turn it on 20-30 mins before you go to bed and voila zero bugs. I've been doing this in the mtns of BC arou d lakes with my drifter now for the past cpl of trips. I'd love to have a mesh room but that is another thing to carry and setup and remember.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

shade

Just get a thermacell turn it on 20-30 mins before you go to bed and voila zero bugs. I've been doing this in the mtns of BC arou d lakes with my drifter now for the past cpl of trips. I'd love to have a mesh room but that is another thing to carry and setup and remember.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
Good to know. I've been wondering about how well those work. Do any bugs seem less impacted by it?

aaen

Adventurer
not in my experience, they all run out of the tent when I turn it on. Again do not sit in the fumes, I imagine they are not good for you, and on a windy day, I highly doubt it will work at all. My plan is to make screens for the back of the drifter, but knowing how well the thermacell has been working I highly doubt I will be now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles