Stoked about the new Gofast camper

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The LB trucks one idea I like is the bunk bed cot system down stairs parents ip stairs in the pent house idea. The SB trucks have such a tiny bed.

HONDO Garage

Wish I'd invented Airwolf
The LB trucks one idea I like is the bunk bed cot system down stairs parents ip stairs in the pent house idea. The SB trucks have such a tiny bed.

As long as the kids aren't taller than 5' the SB could work. With a platform over the wheel wells, and under platform storage drawer, and a storage box on the roof rack, you'd probably have enough room to sleep two kids downstairs, two adults upstairs, and enough gear storage. Once they're over 5' they probably don't want to be sleeping in the truck with their parents anyway :)

dman93

Adventurer
Question for @Hondo Garage ... will you offer lower frames and skins for both longbed and shortbed Tacomas (5' and 6')? And, will the upper pop-up portion be the same? I currently have. DCSB but have considered eventually going to a longbed, just curious about upgradabulity. Thanks.

HONDO Garage

Question for @Hondo Garage ... will you offer lower frames and skins for both longbed and shortbed Tacomas (5' and 6')? And, will the upper pop-up portion be the same? I currently have. DCSB but have considered eventually going to a longbed, just curious about upgradabulity. Thanks.

Yes, we're building to fit both LB and SB Tacomas. Here's the list of the trucks we'll be supporting right away:

• 1995-PRESENT TOYOTA TACOMA: ALL MODELS EXCEPT FOR 1ST GEN STEP SIDE.
  • 2015-PRESENT COLORADO/CANYON: ALL MODELS.
  • 2009-PRESENT F-150 (RAPTOR INCLUDED): 5.5' AND 6' BEDS ONLY.

We do plan to offer the lower frames and skins separately. And the upper frames are the same size, so you could swap it out. I designed the whole system to be modular. So if you bought an SUV you could even sell the off lower and mount up just the upper as an RTT. And we'll be offering the lowers on their own as light weight toppers.

gmacmt

Adventurer
Hey all, I am one of the other GFC guys with the background at AeroContinental. Figured this would be a good thread to update as we made some parts over the weekend.

Welded up a couple of Tacoma long bed lower frames. Unlike the square tube on the early test mule, these are 1.5" round mitered DOM tubing and made to the final design specs. We'll be skinning these in bead-rolled .090" aluminum this coming week.

Looks like we will have options for fixed and operable aluminum sides made of .090 5052 Aluminum. Operable is where the two side panels are hinged to lift off the structure and create a cabana style space in the topper, or to access things from the side.

Rear panel will be a glass hatch like a modern leer or ARE, and the front "bulkhead" panel will have an optional view window (likely non operable) to be able to see whats going on in the bed from the cab.

37652379624_ed2d694dd9_z.jpg

37652373954_d8c23c7852_z.jpg

37652376334_a1f8fbd190_z.jpg

It's going to be a pretty burly structure. Will continue to update as we have content.

-g

Last edited:

TommyG

Adventurer
Watching with interest. We base camp out of our travel trailer a lot. I would like to have something simple and light to get further out of bounds and stay for a few days when possible. This may fit the bill.

Hummelator

Adventurer
How long is the floor/sleeping area going to be? Any chance it could be made long enough to sleep a 6' adult and still leave out a panel for easy access to lower level?
At first when I saw this I wasn't overly impressed but the design has grown on me... especially the fact that they will be an insulation kit available...

HONDO Garage

How long is the floor/sleeping area going to be? Any chance it could be made long enough to sleep a 6' adult and still leave out a panel for easy access to lower level?
At first when I saw this I wasn't overly impressed but the design has grown on me... especially the fact that they will be an insulation kit available...

The upper floor interior is 90" long. If we make it any longer the whole thing gets heavier due to the larger cantilever and the need for beefier extrusions. Since our primary focus is weight reduction and durability/repairability, we won't be making this model any longer than that.

However, if you just need to sleep one 6' adult, the removable floor turns sideways so you can run it as a bunk with one half of the floor removed and still have the full 90" for one person.

Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 10.06.12 PM.jpg

Last edited:

Runt

Adventurer
1st off....great idea! I'll be keeping a close eye on seeing how you fellows progress with this.

2 ..... will there be a price & availability for the Roof Top Tent / sleeping system only?

3 ...... is there access to the RTT via a ladder / opening in sides or rear?

4 ..... will the tent fabric portion be removable for cleaning / replaceable to a winter insulated unit?

Last edited:

Hummelator

Adventurer
The upper floor interior is 90" long. If we make it any longer the whole thing gets heavier due to the larger cantilever and the need for beefier extrusions. Since our primary focus is weight reduction and durability/repairability, we won't be making this model any longer than that.

However, if you just need to sleep one 6' adult, the removable floor turns sideways so you can run it as a bunk with one half of the floor removed and still have the full 90" for one person.

View attachment 425208

How wide is the panel?
Also, what are the next models of trucks you will be expanding the design to?

HONDO Garage

1st off....great idea! I'll be keeping a close eye on seeing how you fellows progress with this.

2 ..... will there be a price & availability for the Roof Top Tent / sleeping system only?

3 ...... is there access to the RTT via a ladder / opening in sides or rear?

4 ..... will the tent fabric portion be removable for cleaning / replaceable to a winter insulated unit?

We will be making the tent part available on its own. No firm price but somewhere in the low $3k range.

That version will have a ladder, solid floor, and side doors in addition to the rear door on the camper model.

And yes, we're making the fabric super easy to remove for cleaning. We will eventually release a winter-weight option.

HONDO Garage

How wide is the panel?
Also, what are the next models of trucks you will be expanding the design to?

The panel is 25" wide. And although it seems counterintuitive, everyone we've had test this (including my 6' 4" self) has ended up preferring to sleep with their heads toward the front pivot. It's more cozy and affords a nice view out the rear door. And I can still sit up with plenty of headroom from that position. Point being, if you lay that way, there's plenty of shoulder width in "bunk mode".

As for future truck models. We'll support any truck with at least five orders. We've gotten a lot of requests for 1st gen tundra, so will most likely be supporting those soon. We're gathering requests via the form at the bottom of this page: https://www.gofastcampers.com/faq/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles