Stoked about the new Gofast camper

socalktk

Saw this first on Tacomaworld and IG. It looks like everything I want in a camper shell and hardshell RTT with it being way more lighter. I already have a deposit down too. Can't wait to see the aluminum panels on the frame, and on the truck!

JDaPP

Adventurer
Yes I know, I have one. This looks like it might be a little more modular/could be combined with jscherb's convertible top modifications to make it something that comes on and off easily at campsite

gmacmt

Adventurer
Yes I know, I have one. This looks like it might be a little more modular/could be combined with jscherb's convertible top modifications to make it something that comes on and off easily at campsite

The dimensions are 94" front to back, so it would likely fit the roof of a 4 door, but too much for a two door. Not familiar with Jscherb, but happy to answer any questions you have if you can give a bit more context.

JDaPP

Adventurer
Thanks for the follow up. Jscherb is the forum Jeep inventor who created a way to modify a Factory hardtop to come apart in 4 pieces (Top, back, 2x sides). http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/160775-Converting-a-factory-JK-JKU-hardtop-to-modular/page46
I have the ursa minor J30 top and it is awesome in every regard except taking it off for short period of times.

If I am understanding your design, the Tent portion is supported by a frame. What I would be looking for is if you would be able to do something similar to that for the Jeep (perhaps using rollbars?) that would allow use of the factory hardtop + allow you to enter from inside the jeep like the ursa minor top. What I am trying to accomplish is essentially a modular ursa minor top that I can take off in pieces. Hopefully that description helps?

nocean

Adventurer
Stoked on this as well, I have my deposit it, its what I've been wanting for years but didn't exist until now.

Cheers!

gmacmt

Adventurer
Partway through the panel design, got the shapes lasered and edges broken last week. This panel will get bead rolled to stiffen it up and more holes made for the dzus fasteners. And we started working on the hinge to make these sides operable, its been a big request so we are pushing the production forward a bit. It’s a real challenge to make the hinges work with our seal and tube placement and still clearing the camper bits, but it's looking like we’ve got it figured out with a pretty trick 8-bar linkage hinge...

Probably going with .080 5052. Should be plenty stout once beadrolled to maintain the seal, and is nice because its so formable. It's also got a really good corrosion resistance and with .080 skin will hold up well to branches and impacts.

Mocked up...

24819142278_edac0e7084_z.jpg

From the interior. Looking like a race car.

38659789782_761be057cb_z.jpg

24819146518_b6dac83431_z.jpg

gmacmt

Adventurer
Thanks for the follow up. Jscherb is the forum Jeep inventor who created a way to modify a Factory hardtop to come apart in 4 pieces (Top, back, 2x sides). http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/160775-Converting-a-factory-JK-JKU-hardtop-to-modular/page46
I have the ursa minor J30 top and it is awesome in every regard except taking it off for short period of times.

If I am understanding your design, the Tent portion is supported by a frame. What I would be looking for is if you would be able to do something similar to that for the Jeep (perhaps using rollbars?) that would allow use of the factory hardtop + allow you to enter from inside the jeep like the ursa minor top. What I am trying to accomplish is essentially a modular ursa minor top that I can take off in pieces. Hopefully that description helps?

Sorry for the delayed reply, missed this before.

I see what you mean. I think that's probably a little bit too specific for us in the near future, but a jeep top may not be out of the question down the road.

Looks cool and well designed... but they "stopped short"... meaning I wish they had it flip all the way open 180 degrees like the FlipPac.... THEN you'd really have something I'd be interested in :)

gmacmt

Adventurer
Looks cool and well designed... but they "stopped short"... meaning I wish they had it flip all the way open 180 degrees like the FlipPac.... THEN you'd really have something I'd be interested in :)

There are pluses and minuses to both designs. With the GFC you get a solid roof that wont leak, less fabric to flap in the wind and stay wet when stored, lighter weight and stronger structure. With a flippac style opening you get more space, but if you want to carry anything on the roof (surfboards, skis, bikes etc) you have to take them off before opening the camper.

WillBeck

Adventurer
There are pluses and minuses to both designs. With the GFC you get a solid roof that wont leak, less fabric to flap in the wind and stay wet when stored, lighter weight and stronger structure. With a flippac style opening you get more space, but if you want to carry anything on the roof (surfboards, skis, bikes etc) you have to take them off before opening the camper.

not to mention the flippac/AT Habitat already exists. This brings alternate options to the market which is good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles