Stoked about the new Gofast camper

Zkrob

We're moving into the giant new shop this weekend. Start building next week, so expect lots of photos soon.

Awesome! Just placed my order, stoked to see some final design pics! Curious on the Colorado/ZR2 version in more detail, specifically the roof to tent clearance and interior lighting options (I currently have bed lights, but the switch is inside the cab). Might be easier over email; idk. Also, the bed is higher up than Tacoma's, so hoping that is taken into account to maintain a more compact profile; if you need measurements I took some a while back and can relay those. Can't wait for photos!

chmura

Adventurer
Sorry if this has been answered before.

Can you install a mini flat roof rack in front of the GFC camper similar how the Xoverland guys did on their tacoma? I think doing so would be a big benefit.

If there enough room for this??

12994511_1271614176183810_1457064971019263992_n-jpg.992768

slowtwitch

Adventurer
I wish someone would do a monocuque/composite structure.. would take care or so many of the design compromises and be lighter. More $ to tool up though...

chmura

Adventurer
I noticed all these new popup campers that are coming out do not having a locking mechanism on the struts to put some tension on the fabric after deployment. I think this is important in windy conditions and very cold temperatures as the strut will not operate well.

Autohome, James Braoud etc all have locking mechanisms on their struts. After you deploy these tents you lock the struts into place and they won’t budge.

inv3ctiv3

Adventurer
I noticed all these new popup campers that are coming out do not having a locking mechanism on the struts to put some tension on the fabric after deployment. I think this is important in windy conditions and very cold temperatures as the strut will not operate well.

Autohome, James Braoud etc all have locking mechanisms on their struts. After you deploy these tents you lock the struts into place and they won’t budge.

I camped in 40mph winds no problem with it and the guys at GFC are based out of Bozeman Montana where it's pretty much freezing all the time and have yet to experience a problem with the struts in cold temps but who knows maybe they'll update it.

aaen

Adventurer
That is a good point about the struts. I’ve had numerous start to sag in the cold. Would make a lot of sense to add ina physical lockout, similar to whats on the hood of heavy equipment

On a side note, how are the rails suppose to be used to attach an awning to it? The strut seems to be in the way? Guessing you would have to build a mount to hold the awning out further so it clears the strut?

Thinking about jumping back on the wagon, as sleeping in a cabelas deluxe cot for the last week in Death Valley was great, but i miss being up high, that and I do not envision the cot lasting more then the summer.

Sadly, the alucabs gen 3 are out, met a few people whom said to avoid then if you live in the PNW or are their frequently due to heavy condensation. Which makes sense considering they are made out if metal, shame as they are really nice tents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Runt

Adventurer
The Vagabond Camper has a locking mechanism & I think the go fast roof is so light it may not be required.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
I'd still want a lock out mechanism. As the gas struts age they tend to get weaker/less effective. Even with my lightweight Columbus fiberglass top I've used the locks in windy conditions.

Awesome product, thanks for bringing it to the market. The design is impressive and the pricing is very reasonable considering cost of campers and RTT's. My only concern is that the translucent roof may not hold up well in a hail storm, but I've never seen one up close to gauge it's strength. Is the roof fiberglass? Can it be repaired easily?

inv3ctiv3

Adventurer
Awesome product, thanks for bringing it to the market. The design is impressive and the pricing is very reasonable considering cost of campers and RTT's. My only concern is that the translucent roof may not hold up well in a hail storm, but I've never seen one up close to gauge it's strength. Is the roof fiberglass? Can it be repaired easily?

The roof is a thick honeycomb it's very sturdy there's no way a hailstorm is gonna mess it up.

kalieaire

Observer
I mean they use epoxy resin over glass fiber over cellulose honeycomb on a lot of standard camper shells and that stuff is plenty robust. It's a neat feature if you like having the sun wake you up. But if you want a bear cave, just cover it up with some black out cloth or 45c/sq ft carpet from your hardware store.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles