Looking for a locker

SD_Montero

Observer
Figure worth a shot. Anyone selling a 4.63 gear ratio third member with the factory locker. I have a 96 gen 2 LS and really would like to add a locker. Needed it a few times in sand and snow lol.

Would a limited slip be a good alternative or would be so expensive...ie not worth it?

Thanks

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

nckwltn

Explorer
I want to say that you would need the complete rear axle assembly, not just the 3rd member.

sounds about right... LS's came with smaller ring gears front and rear, as well as smaller axles in the front (probably rear too).... the housings might be the same, but I'm guessing that everything has different splines.

On the plus side, if you can find a gen 2 in the junk yard, it is a bit of work, but not too difficult to drop the front axle housing, grab the axle shafts with CV joints, pull hte 3rd member from the rear and slide the axles out as well.

Not sure if you're pre-wired for the locker though... I do know that '00 without the locker is pre-wired for the airpump and switch...

again, not too difficult to get to all of these components, but will take some time to pull them out and put them back in the LS

SD_Montero

Observer
sounds about right... LS's came with smaller ring gears front and rear, as well as smaller axles in the front (probably rear too).... the housings might be the same, but I'm guessing that everything has different splines.

On the plus side, if you can find a gen 2 in the junk yard, it is a bit of work, but not too difficult to drop the front axle housing, grab the axle shafts with CV joints, pull hte 3rd member from the rear and slide the axles out as well.

Not sure if you're pre-wired for the locker though... I do know that '00 without the locker is pre-wired for the airpump and switch...

again, not too difficult to get to all of these components, but will take some time to pull them out and put them back in the LS
Could I leave the front alone and just swap out the entire rear axle assembly?

SD_Montero

Observer
Yes, as long as you dont change the gear ratio

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
Thanks. Hopefully I luck out lol. Other wise would it even be worth it to buy say a third party locker and have someone install it ?

nckwltn

Explorer
Thanks. Hopefully I luck out lol. Other wise would it even be worth it to buy say a third party locker and have someone install it ?

That sounds a lot more expensive than a trip to the junk yard and dropping the entire rear axle and going home with it... (And the pump and the switch that goes in the cab)

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Deshet

Adventurer
I have looked at some reviews of the china4x4extreme stuff and it looks to be the same as ARB. I almost wonder if they are made in the same factory in China.

Do you guys have any experience with them? They even use the same part numbers as ARB.

I have no direct experience. I have spent a lot of time in Asia and know that they can reverse engineer anything.

Thanks

plh

Explorer
If the LS is a 3.0l, it would most likely have a 9" ring gear. It might be possible to source the 3rd member and axles from a '92 or '93 SR which also had 3.0l engines. The '94 and later SRs had 3.5l engines and 9.5" rear ring gears, they don't interchange unless the entire wheel to wheel housing assembly is swapped.

plh

Explorer
I have looked at some reviews of the china4x4extreme stuff and it looks to be the same as ARB. I almost wonder if they are made in the same factory in China.

Do you guys have any experience with them? They even use the same part numbers as ARB.

I have no direct experience. I have spent a lot of time in Asia and know that they can reverse engineer anything.

Thanks

Chinese copy is different than reverse engineering.

SD_Montero

Observer
It's pretty cool how the LS is already wired for a locker. Wish they would've made them the same ratio as the SRs though lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles