How is this poor mans battery bank?

Wanted

I can't afford Lithium batteries, or even quality batteries for that matter. In fact I'm happy to replace these batteries in a year or two if they're stuffed and when I've recouped some funds after my buildout. But for interests sake, I'm wanting to put together a large battery bank capable of running at 1000w (max 1600w) induction hob and boondock for days on end, so 600AH+. Will have 600w of solar panels. Have to resort to batteries available here in Europe;

6x Trojan T-105 6v (c20) 225AH batteries, wired in 12v = 675AH, 168kg/370lbs. Cost= 950 euro/ US$1100

Will these cut the mustard for a couple of years? Thinking of mounting over the right wheel arch in a 3500 T1N Sprinter van

john61ct

Adventurer
Yes, in fact they are a global standard for reliable but not too costly true deep cycling.

Break them in properly, make sure charging is within specs, keep checking their water, equalize monthly, don't draw below 50% often, try to get back to true 100% full as per endAmps as often and soon as possible

They can last over 6 years if coddled

Wanted

Yes, in fact they are a global standard for reliable but not too costly true deep cycling.

Break them in properly, make sure charging is within specs, keep checking their water, equalize monthly, don't draw below 50% often, try to get back to true 100% full as per endAmps as often and soon as possible

They can last over 6 years if coddled

What about 8 batteries, for an extra 130 euro it could be possible to have 8 in total, bringing the capacity up to 900AH, for an extra 56kg too..

Joe917

Explorer
We have run 4 T145's. 260AH X 6v = 520AH 12v bank
Largest load was microwave about 150 amps(12v) for 10-20 minutes intermittently over the day. Bank typically drawn down only to 70%.
630 Watts solar, almost always back to 100% each day. Only twice hit the 5 day without full charge warning. Equalized every 60 days.
Batteries lasted 4 years(full time use). One battery has started using excessive water and overheating on charge so we are down to running off two batteries and generator for large loads. I had expected more, Crown batteries will be next bank.
6 batteries is a lot of weight to add to a Sprinter.
I also would be very hesitant to use flooded batteries inside the living space.

DLTooley

Observer
Flooded lead acid are still the best value choice. In the US Trojan now has competition. For occasional heavy loads a generator may be a better choice than a large bank. Starting small also has less learning curve financial risk. Hopefully competitive lifepo4 batteries are not that far off. Lead acid does off gas but only under charge. Not a sleeping risk.

john61ct

Adventurer
What about 8 batteries, for an extra 130 euro it could be possible to have 8 in total, bringing the capacity up to 900AH, for an extra 56kg too..
Yes lot of weight. What makes you think you need that much, you using 150AH per day average? On what loads?

Charge sources to keep them full is critical, or they won't last long.

john61ct

Adventurer
In the US Trojan now has competition.
now?
Since founded more like. At least half a dozen, and most better quality, Trojan's been slipping IMO.

Hopefully competitive lifepo4 batteries are not that far off.

Long term already can be.

If you mean just on initial cost vs lead, never will be - demand will outpace supply, and rare earth minerals are permanently rare.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke