so with the FCIIs gone, whats the new hotness for A/T with epic winter performance?

VisionxOrb

Observer
As most know, the ******** Cepek FCII were AWESOME in the winter. I have GY duratracs on my mega now since the FCIIs were discontinued when I put new tires on in 2013. Having ran both on the same truck I can say with out a doubt, my old FCII would walk all over my duratracs in snow/ice.

So as per the title, is there any A/T that works as well in the winter as the FCII did?

VisionxOrb

Observer
Those are on a short list, I've read a couple places of people that ran both and noted the maxx was not as good as the FCII on packed snow/ice. Haven't been able to find and real use info on the new fun countries either. The new falken at3w are also on my list. I'm most likely going to put a set of those on the wifes 07 yukon once I figure out why here brakes periodic lock up and wont release unless you let it sit all day. I'm thinking bad ABS module.

kayadog

Adventurer
I really like my Hankook ATM’s in winter conditions. I’ve had then for years in Northeastern MA and can’t remember ever losing traction or getting stuck.

TriBeard

The Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws are mountain snowflake rated. I just had mine put on and they've done great in the wet and on the beach, but I haven't had a chance to try them out in the snow as of yet. Great tire though so far and a 55k mile warranty.

MOguy

Explorer
The Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws are mountain snowflake rated. I just had mine put on and they've done great in the wet and on the beach, but I haven't had a chance to try them out in the snow as of yet. Great tire though so far and a 55k mile warranty.

I got a set of these not to long ago. The do better on wet streets and wet grass then my Super Swampers did. They ride great.

TriBeard

I got a set of these not to long ago. The do better on wet streets and wet grass then my Super Swampers did. They ride great.

Yeah, they've been an upgrade in every way to my cooper at3s. Maybe slightly more road noise, but even that's debatable.

SnowedIn

Observer
I really like my Hankook ATM's in winter conditions. I've had then for years in Northeastern MA and can't remember ever losing traction or getting stuck.

I like mine in snow as well. They have really deep siping that does well on cold packed snow and ice.

The only thing they're pretty bad at is deeper wet/slushy snow on any sort of incline. I've ended up in a few ditches on logging roads that way. It might even be a matter of the wet snow cleaning out too easily and not packing into the treads.

Hartigan

Let's go!

I ran mine in 6" of new snow on top of hard-pack a few weeks ago up in Eldorado National Forest, and they did really well. So far I've only got good things to say about the AT3Ws, I'm really impressed. :)

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
GY Duratracs- For lighter trucks. It's a bit soft for log roads and heavier trucks. Wiggly when new.

Cooper ST Maxx- Heavy duty MT carcass, hybrid tread pattern. Excellent snow traction. You can't beat this tire for a snow AT that is tough and can be used all year long.
DiscovererSTMaxx_full.png.aspx

Cooper STT Pro- While a mud terrain tire, and outside the scope of this thread, they have siping and good snow performance in Ohio snow and ice. Handy, because if you make a mistake and slide off the road into mud........

Interco IROC- It's what the local fire departments use on their F350 brush trucks which see beach and heavy snow use as well. Tax $$$$ helps as well:
15-IROK_RADIAL_600x600.png

1stDeuce

Explorer
I'm a Cooper guy all the way, but if I was spending YOUR money, and I wanted excellent snow and ice performance in a non-winter specific tire, I'd buck up for a set of the newer BFG ATKOMark2.0 Redux tires, or whatever they're calling them these days. A few years ago, I heard from a Cooper engineer that that tire was one of the best performing non-winter tires they have tested on snow and ice...

On the downside, real world feedback says that while they are excellent when new, once you wear off the shallow siping, they are not good at all... So sell them when they get that low and buy another set. :)

FWIW, I have AT3's and STMaxx's on our vehicles. They both are pretty good, with the AT3's doing better on ice or packed snow, and the Maxx's doing better in loose or deep snow. Cooper also as an ATW that's more of a winter tire that can be run all year... Not enough winter here to try them, but if I lived in the snow belt, they'd probably be my go-to instead of AT3's.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I would look at the Cooper Discoverer XT/4, it was designed for Canada, lots of full-depth siping, great in the snow.

GoinBoardin

Observer
I ran mine in 6" of new snow on top of hard-pack a few weeks ago up in Eldorado National Forest, and they did really well. So far I've only got good things to say about the AT3Ws, I'm really impressed. :)

I'm most impressed with the braking traction on packed snow/ice. The acceleration traction is nothing special in an empty pickup in 2x4 but the braking is the best I've found. The siping really does well in that regard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles