Charging Trojan T105s w/ 75A charger

Step-Hen

Observer
Can I charge a Trojan T105 battery (actually, I'm talking about 2 T105s in series, but that doesn't matter for this discussion) with a 75A charger without damaging (shortening the lifespan of) the battery? If I call correctly, Trojan says to limit charging current to 12-13% of the Ah rating, but I haven't seen any chargers with adjustable current limiting.

Joe917

Explorer
Charger voltage and the battery's internal resistance determine how much amperage a battery will accept. (this is why wet cells bulk charge at higher voltages than AGMs, higher internal resistance of wet cells).
Set the charge voltage too high and you will boil the battery, set it too low and you will undercharge the battery.
Battery manufacturers provide a charging profile that is best for the battery, set your voltages accordingly, this will prevent pushing too many amps.
Its 2 ways of saying the same thing, too many volts=too many amps.

john61ct

Adventurer
I thought you were asking if 75A is too low!

Relative to 225AH, that is just right, would barely be enough for double that in FLA.

But for quality AGM, higher would be better.

No such thing as too high really, far as a lead bank is concerned, the chemistry's resistance makes it self-limiting.

There are several chargers out there allow the user to derate, dial down the current, but that is used to protect the upstream supply, not usually wrt the bank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles