...so, I meant to start this build thread about 3 years ago. 1992 RRC SWB overlanding

David Harris

Expedition Leader
While the 3.9 is arguably the best NA-spec Rover EFI V8 of that era, it's still a dog**** motor. Why not put something more interesting in there?

There's nothing at all wrong with a well-maintained 3.9. There are many with 200-300K miles. You don't need anything else to go around the world. Just take care of it and don't mess with it in my opinion. It's a perfect match for the vehicle. If diesel were preferred, just go with a stock 300 Tdi swap.

DailyJeep

Adventurer
I gotcha. It's a beautiful project, man.

I was a broke *** teenager when I got my first Rover. Back then I always dreamed about building the "perfect" RRC. Looks like you're doing exactly that. What a wonderful color choice.

Question for you: obviously you're investing a great deal in ensuring this build is Rover correct -- and while I'd agree that the 3.9 is probably the best pre-LR3 V8 option -- can you share your thoughts on motor choice? Why not a 300tdi, new Cummins crate, etc?

While the 3.9 is arguably the best NA-spec Rover EFI V8 of that era, it's still a dog**** motor. Why not put something more interesting in there?

I believe we will soon find out it is no longer the motor in the Rover. In the picture thread, the post title mentions LS motor.

TxEddie1111

Observer
Thank you for the comments. I hope some of the next moves don't cause too much contention!

So the in flight entertainment module had to go but that was a bit later; I had other things to deal with first.

As this started a restoration (hence the 3.9) and later evolved in to an overlanding vehicle, so much of what I'd done for the restoration was, well, a waste because of the direction I took. And, some of you have already figured out, I had trouble ahead as I added the next things, the roof top tent and shadow awn.

After lengthy research (and considering about 20 years of genuine backpack camping), and that this almost 60 year old body was less enthused about setting up tents (we almost chose the Oztent) and sleeping in sleeping bags, a rooftop tent won the decision. There are several good choices but for us, the Alu-Cab RTT and Shadow Awn won. First a Front Runner slimline rack was installed then the tent and awning.

I have to tell you, a bit over a year later with considerable use, we LOVE both of these products. Setting up and taking down is really as easy as advertised. The quality is first rate. And the sleeping experience is just another level. I'm a bit over 6' and my wife is 5'10". Plenty of room and the mattress is, well...awesome. This was a huge win. We knew the weight on top was going to be a concern and were assured by a suspension supplier that the weight could be dealt with if needed.

so for now, a few pictures of the vehicle at that point (I only have a few pictures at this stage; of the first camping trip to try out the set-up.)896.jpg895.jpg

Notice the squat of the back tires (something a smarter person would have anticipated). And, while I too like the 3.9 and planned on that motor lasting as long as I will...more about that later.

(For clarity: the in flight was added just after this first trip so the pictures and story are a tiny bit out of sequence)

TxEddie1111

Observer
...obviously, (as most of you probably guessed), a new suspension would be needed. Add to this the need for a spare tire (rear bumper with swing spare tire mount) and a winch (front bumper), skid plate and diff guards, rocker skids, and probably a few other odds and ends I don't recall, and we have the next revision. These upgrades led me to Hill Country British in San Antonio; can't say enough good about these guys.

Below are a few pictures:

1543.jpg1530.jpg1544.jpg1545.jpg1551.jpg

Last edited:

TxEddie1111

Observer
...nice side shot:

1797.jpg

At this point, we took the vehicle on a run to Big Bend. Man did it take awhile to get there and gas mileage was really low (if i recall 7-8 mpg). Something had to be done about power...oh, and the rear stabilizer bar mount was sheared on Black Gap road. We heard all kinds of "noise" underneath; didn't see anything until we got it back to the main road and discovered the broken mount. I remembered the sway bar disconnect from the Rubicon and how useful that was. ...did they make a disconnect for a Range Rover...? And, a spring became dislocated on a pretty big drop...got it back in but cone dis-locators were on the list.

Oh, and the in flight needed attention...

Last edited:

TxEddie1111

Observer
A few shots from the Big Bend trip:

1725.jpg1726.jpg1728.jpg1730.jpg

Up next (when I have a moment to take some current pictures) are the results of an engine swap to address the power need and mpg improvement, sway bar, sound system and a few other modifications

TxEddie1111

Observer
Wow, how time flys, sorry it's taken so long to post. I had a friend create a website with a TON of shots of the RRC including some drone shots. The pictures show how the vehicle is currently equipped INCLUDING nice shots of the LS motor.

and, on the website, I have my other RRC, a 1978, completely restored LHD two door. www.mannprovisions.com

Both vehicles are for sale if anyone is interested.

I'm on to another build! I've discovered I love the builds as much as using them.

TMBUK2

Wow, how time flys, sorry it's taken so long to post. I had a friend create a website with a TON of shots of the RRC including some drone shots. The pictures show how the vehicle is currently equipped INCLUDING nice shots of the LS motor.

and, on the website, I have my other RRC, a 1978, completely restored LHD two door. www.mannprovisions.com

Both vehicles are for sale if anyone is interested.

I'm on to another build! I've discovered I love the builds as much as using them.
Tremendous builds!
Specs, pricing on the 1978 2 door? What shop(s) did the build?

modernbeat

Jason McDaniel
Any details on the LS swap? Is it adapted to the Rover transmission, or did you swap in a GM transmission also?

TxEddie1111

Observer
Any details on the LS swap? Is it adapted to the Rover transmission, or did you swap in a GM transmission also?
The transfer case is Land Rover but the transmission is a GM.

Hill Country British in San Antonio did the swap. Land Rover dedicated shop with super people, super skills and super experience.

TxEddie1111

Observer
Tremendous builds!
Specs, pricing on the 1978 2 door? What shop(s) did the build?

I bought the '78 from a serious collector: Marco Gandino www.classicteam.it (he founded this club and has stuff about him all over the internet) in Italy who had the restoration done. Somewhere I have emails, pictures and a bunch of stuff from when I was making the deal. Supposedly a "famous" shoe designer also owned the car. I had Hill Country British do a few things once it arrived: change the AC to the new Freon, convert the dual carbs to fuel injection, rebuild the transmission, change the headlamps to something that shines light, and a few other things (Of course I kept every single thing removed should a future owner want to go back original; nothing was cut or modified that can't be put back in order).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier