...so, I meant to start this build thread about 3 years ago. 1992 RRC SWB overlanding

TxEddie1111

Observer
Long story short (as I can make it).

I've always loved the look of the Range Rover Classic and planned long ago to restore one as my daily driver. About 4/5 years ago I purchased a 1992 RRC from an eBay seller. The vehicle was in really good shape so to make it my daily driver, I planned on a color change and interior refresh. I imagined the project would be completed in a year or less.

At the time, I drove a Wrangler Rubicon and planned on passing it to my daughter when she graduated college (about two years later) and drive the Classic.

Fast forward about 1 1/2 years and the RRC was nowhere close and my daughter's Exterra was falling apart.

"Daddy, maaaybe I could get "RubiC" a little early..." I was ok with this but had no car myself.

Plan B. Buy a late model RR Sport, pass RubiC to my daughter, complete the RRC resto, sell the RR Sport, drive the RRC daily; all good.

She got the Rubicon, RRC wasnt done until a year later and I kinda liked the supercharged Sport.

So, fast forward and now I had the RRC and it looked beautiful. What to do...Overlanding vehicle build!

The earliest pictures I can find are: (after color change and at the upholstery shop. "OEM" at this point):

611.jpg610.jpg607.jpg608.jpg609.jpg

Years ago I restored a 1976 HJ45 (thread in the Landcruiser section) and will add as many pictures I can find to this thread to show the journey of this build.

End result spoiler:

1726.jpg

aek50

Adventurer
Wow, from what you posted that look very nice. Curious to learn more about what you did for re upholstering as I have not seen anyone go to that length on RRC at this point. Did they redo all the carpeting or just the door panels? Looks factory fresh! How was the body re. rust?

TxEddie1111

Observer
I did replace all the carpet and added new leather to seats and panels. I'd planned on this being by daily driver for many years so I figured I'd "do it right". I was inspired by the work on the Kinglseycars website (the white one).

There was no rust on the car (other than minor surface rust underneath) except a small area on the passenger side floor-pan at a seam. This was cut out and new metal welded in.

A few pictures of the finished interior: (3rd picture shows back AND after I took the back seats out and began adding expedition "stuff". In the grey box is a 120v inverter and amp for music)).

874.jpg873.jpg1539.jpg875.jpg

Challenge: this project took so long, my pictures are scattered on three computers...

TxEddie1111

Observer
...a few shots of the (first :oops: ) engine.

Original 3.9, fully rebuilt and refinished (powder coated; black and clear) on the outside (note lower right hint of ARB compressor):

876.jpg877.jpg878.jpg

TxEddie1111

Observer
It's the original front end but all restored.

Here are a few pictures of the underneath.

At this point, the suspension was "stock" with the addition of ARB air lockers, front and rear:

807.jpg826.jpg822.jpg814.jpg827.jpg819.jpg813.jpg812.jpg811.jpg838.jpg

TxEddie1111

Observer
...a few shots of the console area before modifications. I thought I wanted a build in navigation unit so that was the plan; (pictures to come soon).

889.jpg891.jpg

And this is basically what the Classic looked like after the "it was going to be my daily driver" restoration:

870.jpg871.jpg872.jpg

TxEddie1111

Observer
The first additions were to add air lockers, remove the rear seats and add drawers, fridge and sound system/navigation.

Aux battery and C-Tek D250S and Smartpass and solar were added. I can't say enough about this system. I've had several others and this one, genuinely keeps everything at peak. (It's a little tricky to see in the pictures. If interested, I can take better pictures)

A cubby was built and added to the dash for the Pioneer Apple Carplay unit and the air locker/compressor switches were installed where the original radio head unit was located.

1537.jpg1538.jpg1540.jpg1541.jpg1542.jpg

FrontRunner roof rack, AluCab roof top tent and Shadow-awn up next.

LtFuzz

Explorer
Looks beautiful, like something ECR would do.

I don't know about that giant in-flight entertainment box sitting on your dash though........ what is the deal with that?

TxEddie1111

Observer
Exactly...That...was a mistake. I thought I wanted/needed built in navigation as well as a really good sound system and the in flight (love that name) was the result.

I did get navigation and a really good sound system. Fortunately because of the high vantage point in the RCC, driving sight was fine. But, first decent trail (black gap road in Big Bend), the weight of the unit mounted that way caused it to shake until it was loose and floppy. This was not going to work. It ended being an expensive mistake and had to be addressed.

I made many expensive mistakes along the way. I guess that’s what I got breaking the “begin with the end in mind” rule from the very beginning.

LtFuzz

Explorer
Exactly...That...was a mistake. I thought I wanted/needed built in navigation as well as a really good sound system and the in flight (love that name) was the result.

I did get navigation and a really good sound system. Fortunately because of the high vantage point in the RCC, driving sight was fine. But, first decent trail (black gap road in Big Bend), the weight of the unit mounted that way caused it to shake until it was loose and floppy. This was not going to work. It ended being an expensive mistake and had to be addressed.

I made many expensive mistakes along the way. I guess that's what I got breaking the “begin with the end in mind” rule from the very beginning.

I gotcha. It's a beautiful project, man.

I was a broke *** teenager when I got my first Rover. Back then I always dreamed about building the "perfect" RRC. Looks like you're doing exactly that. What a wonderful color choice.

Question for you: obviously you're investing a great deal in ensuring this build is Rover correct -- and while I'd agree that the 3.9 is probably the best pre-LR3 V8 option -- can you share your thoughts on motor choice? Why not a 300tdi, new Cummins crate, etc?

While the 3.9 is arguably the best NA-spec Rover EFI V8 of that era, it's still a dog**** motor. Why not put something more interesting in there?

Howski

Great job thus far although I would echo comments on the massive on dash navigation contraption. Looking forward to seeing then next steps

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne