Mastodon motors?

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
The owners of Mastodon Motors, Tim Golden and his wife, have filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy protection in Alabama. See here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/63a341tf8trmfdk/018135438787.pdf?dl=0

I hope not too many folks have lost their deposits because of this.

He is now doing business as Golden Garage in Alabama, which is a long way from all of his creditors in Colorado. Caveat Emptor!!

Last edited:

Daurie

Well after almost two years I finally got my truck. I'm not sure what to think. I'll pretty much need a donor vehicle to complete this project. I don't have the title yet and I'm hopeful but not too hopeful on that. No keys so short of having one made somehow without the title, or disassembly of the steering lock, for now I cant turn the wheels. (Open to suggestions on the key situation). At one point the truck had some really nice re-covered seats front back and jump seats. Those are missing. No seat boxes or hardware. Shift linkage and door handles and trim are all missing. Clearly once things took a turn, the truck was scavenged for all it's useful parts, and then some. The shell is good, the carpet and most of the interior paneling is good. It has a rebuilt OM603 that's just sitting on wood blocks and the sway bar, held down by a ratchet strap. No motor mounts. Many engine accessories missing. All the A/C equipment aside from the lines are missing. Intermediate shaft from the trans to the T-case is missing. Which I hope is the correct unit. I haven't looked too close.

It's one of those deals where I don't know if I want to get another truck and swap the good from this one or cannibalize a donor for the multitude of missing bits and pieces. Sorry some of these pics are upside down or sideways. BTW the wheels were mine to begin with. I didn't expect to actually get the truck so I'm thankful (I think) to have something, but a project like this that's missing so many pieces borderlines on a burden. Sheesh.. where to begin.. I'll jerk the motor out first and I guess start looking for a donor.

Attachments

• IMG_1636.jpg
    IMG_1636.jpg
    575.3 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_1637.jpg
    IMG_1637.jpg
    545.3 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_1641.jpg
    IMG_1641.jpg
    538.5 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1638.jpg
    IMG_1638.jpg
    521.2 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1644.jpg
    IMG_1644.jpg
    557 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1652.jpg
    IMG_1652.jpg
    591.2 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1654.jpg
    IMG_1654.jpg
    600.5 KB · Views: 81

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
Daurie,

I'm really sorry that he took you to the cleaners so badly; and I doubt if you'll get anything out of his bankruptcy settlement.

The missing parts are probably mostly available, but at a very high cost to make the truck right.

All the best with it.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Hey everyone, just an update. Expedition Portal broke ties with Mastodon last month and removed them from our partners section. We appreciate you bringing these issues to our attention, and we're truly sorry that so many people have been taken advantage of. We try our best to only work with quality companies with proven track records, but occasionally one will surprise us. I hope that everyone caught up in this mess can be made whole through the bankruptcy process, or at least be compensated for some portion of what they've lost. Please let us know if we can do anything to help.

Reactions: A&F

Daurie

Hey everyone, just an update. Expedition Portal broke ties with Mastodon last month and removed them from our partners section. We appreciate you bringing these issues to our attention, and we're truly sorry that so many people have been taken advantage of. We try our best to only work with quality companies with proven track records, but occasionally one will surprise us. I hope that everyone caught up in this mess can be made whole through the bankruptcy process, or at least be compensated for some portion of what they've lost. Please let us know if we can do anything to help.

Thanks for the clarification. As a listed creditor, I did call their bankruptcy lawyer to ask some questions and got a phone call back. Being that they are filing chapter 7, no one should expect to get any type of monetary reimbursement. He did however tell me that the titles to any vehicles that had money put toward them were not going to be claimed as property of Mastodon. I'm guessing at some point I'll receive the title to this $20k parts car I received. I guess we all live and learn. Sorry if I sound jaded and brash..

imjustdave

Daurie

I don't have any first hand knowledge but on the + side you obtained something out of them, not saying your value is 100% there but I'm sure others walked away with much much less. Having been in buisness before I understand the ups and downs of buisness but honestly in this economy there was obviously some questionable actions and things going on..

So lets move on. What is your end goal? I see some nice wheels :) What can we do to help you out?

-David

Scott Brady

Founder
Yes, it is important for everyone to know that we have no association with Mastodon. They engaged with an advertising package and as soon as we were made aware of the wrongdoings, we removed them from the site.

This is an unfortunate situation that affects many, including us. We had our G320 painted by Mastodon and now have no warranty support. The hood and headlight surrounds needed to be repainted due to discoloration and we had to pay a local shop to do it...

We appreciate everyone's input and in particular the forum members that advised us of the situation and provided sufficient evidence of the wrongdoings.

Onward...

Reactions: A&F

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
We appreciate everyone's input and in particular the forum members that advised us of the situation and provided sufficient evidence of the wrongdoings.

Onward...

Scott, As the member who advised your management team member about the problems with Mastodon, I have to say that the whole advisement process would have been a whole lot easier if you had some way to contact the EP management team listed somewhere on the forum. As it worked out in this situation, I was first contacted by one of your team to tell me he was not happy with one of my posts in another EP forum. But for his contacting me first, it had been impossible to advise your team about Mastodon. I know this because I tried more than once to find contact information prior to being contacted by Chris.

Glad you finally took out the trash!

DUTCH

Scott Brady

Founder
Scott, As the member who advised your management team member about the problems with Mastodon, I have to say that the whole advisement process would have been a whole lot easier if you had some way to contact the EP management team listed somewhere on the forum. As it worked out in this situation, I was first contacted by one of your team to tell me he was not happy with one of my posts in another EP forum. But for his contacting me first, it had been impossible to advise your team about Mastodon. I know this because I tried more than once to find contact information prior to being contacted by Chris.

Glad you finally took out the trash!

DUTCH

We will look into this. Maybe a way to provide contact details to members that is not visible to the public (and spambots)

Again, we sincerely appreciate your advisement on this situation.

Wow so sorry to hear this
I'm a local to golden and know where they were storing their stuff after moving
I will try and go there to see if by chance anything is laying around their yard
Not sure that can help but I feel so bad for you
I bought several sets of tires from him for my old land cruiser

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
The owners of Mastodon Motors, Tim Golden and his wife, have filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy protection in Alabama. See here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/63a341tf8trmfdk/018135438787.pdf?dl=0

I hope not too many folks have lost their deposits because of this.

He is now doing business as Golden Garage in Alabama, which is a long way from all of his creditors in Colorado. Caveat Emptor!!

Dude is renting a nice house on the lake, he has money coming in, no doubt all the old customers will get the shaft.

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
Well that's a shame when people get burnt like that, maybe they can leave some helpful information on the Google reviews of the new business to try and warn the next crop?

Drove there tonight and nothing left at all
Can't post a picture but it was empty
I have his cell number as well and sent him a text and he never responded

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles