AEV Outpost II Wrangler

Keyne

Adventurer
Hmmmm are they going to open the cabin at SEMA? I have been checking but haven't seen pics or video.

TheCatman

I wouldn't be surprised if the cabin isn't finished yet. Maybe just the exterior for now and they'll finish the interior for EJS?

rubicon91

Explorer
Looks like Dave at AEV is starting to show off a tad bit more. Love it looks like a national Luna with the AT overland slide and stove combo.
2e6f8ca46fe55ce27e8ac6b8d37ff6ee.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
On Facebook AEV said the interior is not finished, and they won't show it until it's 100% done.

Also mentioned this is to showcase their new "high capacity" suspension systems available in the coming months.
(High capacity meaning good for heavy JKs)

-Dan

Jurfie

Adventurer
This Jeep looks nice but I think it would be easier to replace the bed on a pick-up then cutting the body of a Wrangler.

This has *got* to be AEV's prototype for the JT. Just gauging interest before investing in the R&D so it is ready when the JT hits the dealerships. They need a Jeep flagship now that the Brute is redundant. This with a diesel? Heck yeah.

toddz69

Explorer
Also mentioned this is to showcase their new "high capacity" suspension systems available in the coming months.
(High capacity meaning good for heavy JKs)

-Dan

They had some 2.5" diameter Bilstein bypass shocks on display in the booth so I'm guessing they'll offer them as some sort of upfitting option in the future, perhaps part of the 'high capacity' system you mention?

Todd Z.

toddz69

Explorer
He was also told the colorado stuff is in the works. My question was (and something he said they didn't answer) according to the press release the concept shows "Multimatic DSSV spool-valve shocks" but later says they are "re-tuned" So either they got their wires crossed from the race development truck press kit or AEV is possibly doing something extra to the MM shocks that come std on the zr2? I wonder if that means they are making them somewhat adjustable so one could add a couple of inches which would totally sell me.

When I saw the Colorado concept in the GM booth, things all started clicking for me. Word on the street is that Fiat is playing hardball with the JL and not releasing info early to the aftermarket to develop suspension kits and other accessories to be ready when the vehicle is launched like most manufacturers traditionally do. So the ZR2 platform makes sense in a lot of ways because it looks to be a cool platform with some development potential available and it's another manufacturer for AEV to partner with since Fiat isn't being friendly.

As for the re-tuned Multimatic shocks, the PR for the AEV release had the same words as the GM chase/works truck next to it that has most of the same bits as the Halls' race truck on it. A friend/engineering colleague of mine has done most of the development work on the ZR2 suspension and in a conversation later that day, he noted that they had done some additional tweaking/refining to the shocks above and beyond the regular production items; we didn't discuss the specifics. The shocks were part of the GM Performance prototype kit displayed on a display board behind the AEV truck: shocks, rear anti-wrap bar, hydro bumps (SPC-formerly Light Racing pieces), skid plates, revised leaf springs and shackles, etc.

Todd Z.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
This is the best view you'll get of the interior for now :(. Took this shot Thursday at SEMA.

Outpost6_zpslnvmvsdj.jpg

haven

Expedition Leader
This has *got* to be AEV's prototype for the JT.../QUOTE]

I think Jurfie has it right. The Wrangler pickup has a longer wheelbase (similar to Tacoma and Colorado),and higher carrying capacity. The JT will be easy to convert to camper duty, no suspension upgrade or surgery to the cab necessary. If AEV doesn’t offer this sort of camper for the JT, then its competitors surely will.

And many thanks for the reference to the custom camper designed by Sönke and built by Markus at www.offroad-schmiede.com
back in 2007-8.

here’s a link to the finished project
http://www.offroad-schmiede.com/images/sampledata/karosserie/IMGP1043.JPG

And here are links to the build thread on ExPo

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/20822-Sönke-s-hard-side-popup-camper?p=307012#post307012

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/20822-Sönke-s-hard-side-popup-camper?p=305741#post305741

sologeek

Observer
"Crosses all fingers and toes" that this might become real and available in the US at an affordable price ................. ya, I know.. that will never happen. :/

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador
"Crosses all fingers and toes" that this might become real and available in the US at an affordable price ................. ya, I know.. that will never happen. :/

Define affordable lol. People thought we were nuts for paying 120k for a 6.4 brute. Honestly can't see aev offering something like that for anything less than 150k. And in a limited run which would prob add 5-7k to omg super rare factor.

$$$$

That is always the problem, these are great looking probably incredibly fun to explore with but who among us can afford a $150,00 or even a $100,000 jeep. NO there has to be a better less expensive way. don t get me wrong the innovation is terrific and I Had a lot of $$$$$$$$ then I would buy one, but for me as wells probably for many of you it is nothing more than a pipe dream.

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador
That is always the problem, these are great looking probably incredibly fun to explore with but who among us can afford a $150,00 or even a $100,000 jeep. NO there has to be a better less expensive way. don t get me wrong the innovation is terrific and I Had a lot of $$$$$$$$ then I would buy one, but for me as wells probably for many of you it is nothing more than a pipe dream.

I talked to a guy this weekend that does custom fab work in the race industry in Nc. We talked about the aev concept and what's currently available. He said to do a ute canopy on a current JK going off what mfgs like patriot, ute top, norweld, etc currently offer wouldn't be hard - just expensive as **** to adapt. He said he would do a canopy with one large top open door on one side, two doors that open independent of each other on the other side, each holding sliders on both sides for storage, fridge, stove, plumbing for gas, water, electrics then adding a ladder/roof rack for a RTT or gear, spare tire provision, on the back etc. He had a really interesting idea for running awnings too. Then reworking the rear of a 4 door JK, electrical hook ups for batteries, oba and so on he rough estimated around 40-45k and would take six months. Not sure on lead time for companies that build these canopies currently but I would assume with shipping to CONUS it's got to be at least 3 months for the existing platforms so I don't think he's off base on time or price for that matter considering it would be a one off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles