battery performance numbers for Dometic CFX-65DZUS

jk6661

Observer
For those considering whether to buy a fridge vs. a cooler, I thought I'd post some preliminary data on how long my new Dometic CFX-65DZUS lasts on a new 100 ah deep-cycle battery. I plugged the fridge into 120v ac and cooled it to 25 deg. F. I then connected it to the fully charged battery and left it running in my 68 deg. living room. I opened the fridge three times a day for 30 seconds each time to simulate real-world use (at least for me). After 72 hours, the battery voltage had declined from 12.75 to 12.2.

Caveats: I haven't used the fridge in the wild yet, and obviously hotter/colder outside temps, a warmer/colder fridge temperature setting, and opening it more/less will affect performance. Ditto if you're charging the battery periodically with solar or an alternator. But for what it's worth, there you go.

Last edited:

kerry

Expedition Leader
For comparison purposes, here are the results of my test of a Unique 60l posted in my thread on that frig:

Temperature was over 90 degrees yesterday. Frig was on a 35ah battery for 45 1/2 hrs and used 60% of the charge in that time. (battery was at 11.94 volts when I disconnected it) If my math is correct that means it used about .5 amps per hour over that period. Frig only had 6 small water bottles during that time and they were already cold from running it on 110 volts.

TwinStick

Explorer
If the fridge is full & everything was already cold, it will cycle less than an empty one. 3 days is good I think. I will be doing this soon myself. We have an 82 & 50 qt ARB. Just ordered a Cabela's X-900 Gp 31 tonight. I will fill them full of water & beer & do the same test. Hope the new batt does good.

jk6661

Observer
If the fridge is full & everything was already cold, it will cycle less than an empty one. 3 days is good I think. I will be doing this soon myself. We have an 82 & 50 qt ARB. Just ordered a Cabela's X-900 Gp 31 tonight. I will fill them full of water & beer & do the same test. Hope the new batt does good.

The fridge was empty for my test, but you're correct that full is better for minimizing cycling.

dcg141

Adventurer
I ran mine for a 3 day weekend using a Goal Zero Yeti 400 chained to one of these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BKY05MC/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?th=1. I used a 100 watt portable panel during the day. I never really drained the system beyond 60%. Make sure you put the battery threshold on low. Mine came set on high and would shut down with 80% battery still left. I get the unit cold empty then load already chilled food.

KSL22

Adventurer
Went to hard wire my CFX65DZ and cut off the cigarette lighter end before confirming pos / neg. Any one know which wire is which? One of the wires is stamped with wording and the other is blank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles