AEV Colorado ZR2 concept just went live

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
You know what might be a nice balance is a 34" tall tire, like a 285/75R 17. About an inch narrower at the tread, but almost as tall.
Playing in the big rocky trails out here I like as tall a tire as possible, and am used to seeing the big doughnut look. :)

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
No question the truck looks bold.

However I have few concerns:

1) given the size of the tires I am sure they have re-geared the original axles. I doubt that the original 3.5 axles can handle 35's.

2) How reliable the body lift is in long term abuse?

3) Do we really need 35's in overladning. Overlanding does not always mean offloading. I would be happy just with 32's knowing that the axles wouldn't have to take so much stress and the fuel economy.

4) chevy should make two types of ZR2's now on.

A) One for desert running - the current ZR2
B) One for overlading / long distance expeditions - more similar to this truck, but more emphasis on fuel economy and driving comfort. 32"s instead of 35's

calicamper

Expedition Leader

1) given the size of the tires I am sure they have re-geared the original axles. I doubt that the original 3.5 axles can handle 35's.

3) Do we really need 35's in overladning. Overlanding does not always mean offloading. I would be happy just with 32's knowing that the axles wouldn't have to take so much stress and the fuel economy.

B) One for overlading / long distance expeditions - more similar to this truck, but more emphasis on fuel economy and driving comfort. 32"s instead of 35's

The stock out of the box zr2 did the Rubicon, which isnt easy. I dont think it needs much other than an ice box with beer and someone with vacation days to go places other than to the office.

Nomad_K

Adventurer
Great concept and I would like to see some additional parts coming to the market for the Colorado!

With that said, someone mentioned the lack of currently available parts and while the aftermarket isn't anything like what you can find off the shelf for a JK or Tacoma, - there are already some nice parts available from some great fabricators and companies. A few examples... 589 fab has a great low profile bumper and winch mount, SuperSkidz has some solid looking plates, the factory sliders are not half bad, King and Fox have some quality shocks ready to go, Icon has a mid-travel setup, and Baja Kits/Brenthal have a really, really nice long travel setup.
If Eaton or GM would sell the factory lockers, I would be very tempted to build a diesel Colorado with a Baja Kits kit.

Back to the AEV concept though, it is great to see the interest in the vehicle and I hope that AEV brings some new parts to the market.

TwinStick

Explorer
Your truck also weighs significantly more, comparing a midsize to a fullsize is apples to oranges. While I own two fullsize trucks, this ZR2 would absolutely fill a needed void in most truck owners lives. Let's be honest, how many people driving around fullsize trucks, really need them?

Why can we not simply appreciate what it is, a great platform to enjoy the outdoors in that fits many peoples needs.

I do appreciate it for what it is. I believe I said 2x that it is a sharp looking truck. Yes apples to oranges in size but NOT the price. That's the point. I just think that it is pretty silly to charge as much (or close to it) as a full size when you are getting nowhere near the full size capability. And, if we lived in a society where we were only allowed to have what we need there would be a LOT of unhappy people. I have been to East Germany & East Berlin, when they were only allowed to have what they need. Not one person i talked to was happy. They all either wanted to go to America or destroy America. Nothing in between. Most need a "jack of all trades" truck because they can not afford to have one of each. If you want to pay as much for a mid size as a full size, hey, have at it. They will take your money. I only have 1 full size truck. Takes us hunting, fishing, off-roading & camping with the trailer. It does everything I need to do. I have actually been looking hard at a stock CC ZR2 diesel, as a replacement for our PW. After all, it is kinda like a mini-power wagon, with the lockers f & r. It sure would be nice to get 25 mpg empty & 15 mpg towing vs our 8-10 mpg no matter what I am doing (empty or towing 10,500 lbs). I get about 9 towing our new 18' 3500 lb camper. But it is paid for so, there's that.

On Cfans forum, one of the guys says he talked to AEV at SEMA and they basically said it's a show truck and the 35s are not functional due to clearance issues. 33s were what they raced with, so that's probably the practical limit without really going nuts.

mccustomize

Explorer

There is no reliability issue with a body lift, it's a simple spacer between the frame and body mounts. While you might not need 35s on your rig with a longer wheelbase tire height is always great for breakover angles.

Chevy is not making this truck, this is a collaboration with AEV used to display the potential of the ZR2.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
What is awesome is that people have choices.

Choices that could mean warranty coverage.
Choices that could mean being the cool mom or dad when dropping the kids off at school
Choices that could mean going somewhere more difficult, than a person would otherwise be comfortable with
Choices that could mean less stress and fatigue for the occupants when traveling on the trail
Choices that could mean less damage to the trail
Choices that could mean financial ruin
Choices that could mean total frustration from reading too many forum posts... like this one.
:elkgrin:

Dalko43

Explorer
What is awesome is that people have choices.

Choices that could mean warranty coverage.
Choices that could mean being the cool mom or dad when dropping the kids off at school
Choices that could mean going somewhere more difficult, than a person would otherwise be comfortable with
Choices that could mean less stress and fatigue for the occupants when traveling on the trail
Choices that could mean less damage to the trail
Choices that could mean financial ruin
Choices that could mean total frustration from reading too many forum posts... like this one.
:elkgrin:

And with the near arrival of the Ford Ranger, we'll have yet another choice which will make the mid-sized truck market that much more better for the customer. Even if I have no intention of buying this thing, I'm glad it was produced because it forces other companies to refine their existing products or put out new ones in order to compete.

Bob Laublaw

Love it.

Tires are too big for my tastes, and all the things are too much $$$ compared to what I can do myself (but working it into a deal through dealer financing is a better option for others).

Options for the platform (and especially the ZR2 with its wizard-sourced suspension) are always great.

ZR2 will be my next truck.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
You know what might be a nice balance is a 34" tall tire, like a 285/75R 17. About an inch narrower at the tread, but almost as tall.
Playing in the big rocky trails out here I like as tall a tire as possible, and am used to seeing the big doughnut look. :)

Even better would be the 34x10.50r17 Bfg ko2's.

ttengineer

Adventurer
As with all AEV turn key models, I believe this is in excess of $60k.
And as with all AEV products it will be YEARS, not months, before this is even close to ready for purchase.
If I recall the prospector took 3 years after it's SEMA debut before it was available at AEV dealerships. Parts were even longer if I remember.

Now having said that, I love the concept. I doubt there will be as big of a market for a $60k+ Colorado as there is for JKs, and Rams though.

If AEV moves forward I imagine it will be a slightly less aggressive version with 33-34 in tires, bumpers, snorkel, and badging.

I hate that rear bumper though. Those tubes look like butt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior