A few days in Baja

dman93

Adventurer
Although I've done a fair amount of off-pavement travel in the US and Canada, on two and four wheels, I can't say I'm any kind of overlander. And last week's trip certainly wasn't anything daring or rugged, so I hesitated before starting a new thread about what was really just another road trip with my wife. But it was my first time in Mexico, despite being in my 7th decade as a California native and resident, and perhaps my best vacation ever. So for those folks a bit intimidated by Baja, or just putting it off, I say go now.

We went in at Mexicali, then headed back west on Hwy 2, a spectacular drive, up to La Rumerosa then off pavement towards Laguna Hanson. Camped there, then more dirt down to Hwy 3, then Hwy 5 to San Felipe. Camped by the beach, then on down 5 past Coco's Corner (Coco is doing well) to Bahia San Luis Gonzaga. Stayed at Alfonsina's hotel, then continued south to Bahia de Los Angeles, where we camped for two nights at Campo Archelon by the beach (outstanding) with great kayaking and swimming. Then we turned back north and west across the Peninsula, hoteling it at San Quintin (Jardines, excellent) one night and Ensenada (Estero Bay, not worth the $$) the next. Back across the border at Otay and home the following day. About 100 miles of dirt, including a few miles detouring onto the SCORE race course when it seemed smoother than the highway, lots of good food, including fresh clams we dug up ourselves at LA Bay and cooked at camp, and lots of cold beer. No problems finding gas, water, ice, or beer. Met some great fellow travelers and many friendly locals. Always felt totally safe. We'll be back!

DVD

Adventurer
Sounds like a great trip. I hope I come back to this sometime when planning a trip to the area.

Photos?

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Thanks for the Campo Archelon recommendation...I'm heading that way later this month and will check it out.

-H-

dman93

Adventurer
Thanks for the Campo Archelon recommendation...I'm heading that way later this month and will check it out.

-H-
We got there pretty early and got a palapa site. They were turning people away by the end of the day, at least for palapas on the beach ... they did have a few cabanas available which have private indoor kitchen, toilet and shower. Antonio, who runs the camp now with his mother Betty, told me that by November you'll need reservations, as the prime season starts.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
We got there pretty early and got a palapa site. They were turning people away by the end of the day, at least for palapas on the beach ... they did have a few cabanas available which have private indoor kitchen, toilet and shower. Antonio, who runs the camp now with his mother Betty, told me that by November you'll need reservations, as the prime season starts.

We stayed there a couple of years back and camped in his empty airplane hanger. Probably not empty by now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne