LS vs. SR

Woodweller

I've got a line on a pristine, rust free high mileage 1994 LS for $2K. Is it worth getting instead of holding out for an SR?

Eric M

Adventurer
Would rather have a rust free LS than a rusty SR, but that's just me. 2k sounds a bit steep, though, depending on how 'high mileage' it is.

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
$2k is good for what you're describing.

these threads confuse me often, folks post up 'is this a good idea' but dont include information about how they use a vehicle or what their needs are;

how much time do you intend to spend 'off road'? How much will traction matter to you? are you often in areas that might need a locker or traction aid? If you're into light wheeling, weekend camping or overlanding, an LS is gonna work fine. If you're into week long back country camping and technical offroading, you'll end up with SR axles under the LS or you'll want to hold out until you find an SR.

Either way, it's a decent price for what you've laid out. Assuming 'high miles' means under 300,000... but even then, if it's cared for, miles wont matter so much.

SONICMASD

Adventurer
The biggest problem with the Gen 2 LS is the 3.0 motor. Monteros are slow even with the 3.5L and I can't even imagine having to deal with less horsepower. But on the plus side, I think the 3.0 is a non-interference engine. $2k is not bad for AZ prices, but not an amazing deal. I'm not sure about your neck of the woods though because like you said, rust-free is a big bonus.

If it's for city driving on streets under 50mph at low elevations it will probably be fine. If it were me though, I'd want the 3.5L. But I do like the LS cloth seats much more than the SR leather.

brad2274

Adventurer
The gen 2 LS will do you just fine, where you live im guessing rust free is harder to find. Yes the power is not the best but i love it for the ease of repair and reliability. The DOHC SR motor is just more difficult to service and its known to be more likely to fail after 140k or so. Look around and you can find a decent amount of blown motor SRs on craigslist, and the other day i found an LS on copart with 415k miles. Mine is 203k and climbing.
I feel like at low RPMs the power is good, i have no issues wheelin it. it's highway where you've got very little juice. The 2.5 gen 3.5 sohc will give similar results, as it only has about 8 more horsepower.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz