New to the forum

Wilkes704

My dad decided he was looking for a new vehicle and asked if I wanted his 2006 tundra double cab. Who turns down a gift truck? I don't plan on doing any real serious excursions with this truck, but I am working on turning it into my family adventure truck. The girlfriend isn't what I would call outdoorsy, but her little 4 year old is always up for an adventure with me.

It's only rwd, but from what I've read and having talked to coworkers, that can get you far. I'm in the south east and I've got some trails where I plan on trying out and seeing what limitations I do have, so I can plan on what changes I can do this winter.

I'm really excited about this and ready to plan some adventures. I plan on taking the little one on her first camping trip this spring and setting the truck up as a camping vehicle will be perfect for that. It's going to be a work in progress.

truck.jpg

So far here are the changes I've made:

- cooper discoverer at3
- bilstein 4600
- a leveling kit on the front for a bit more clearance
- a roof rack
- catching up on maintenance

What I plan on doing/adding:
- putting in a truetrac
- since I'm a fabricator I'm going to start on a roof basket next week
- I'll make new bumpers once I ruin my factory ones.
- a truck bed tent with air mattress

Last edited:

AlexCold

Observer
Recommend some type of recovery gear since it's 2wd. 2WD can get you far and will definitely improve your driving skills, but eventually you will get stuck, so I'd say some type of recovery gear would be helpful. A winch would be high on my list.

A shovel, some Maxtracs or similar, a good jack, your camping gear, leave your trip plan/itinerary with somebody, and then go have some fun. You’ll discover pretty quickly what you need...and it won’t be as much as you might think. :sombrero:

Welcome to ExPo.

Wilbah

Adventurer
All you need is the will, and a sense of adventure. Welcome to the forum.

THIS^^^

Recommend some type of recovery gear since it's 2wd. 2WD can get you far and will definitely improve your driving skills, but eventually you will get stuck, so I'd say some type of recovery gear would be helpful. A winch would be high on my list.

And this^^^

A winch, or come-along, recovery strong, tow strap, shovel, hi-lift (make sure you have jacking points) and a heavy plank. You'll be good for a lot. Does that have any type of LSD? If not keep in mind that once you get in mud and nasty sand and lose traction you'll have one tire with power.

The good thing about doing it in 2WD is you will be less likely to take stupid chances and you will learn a lot about driving lines, how to avoid things in the first place etc. And when you do get stuck (which you will, just don't get worried about it) it will be easier to get out. And it will make you a better driver assuming you do upgrade to 4WD at some point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior