Looking for an '06+ LR3 with HD package...

gabrielef

A mint 2006 SE with the rear locking diff (no towing package), with 137K miles and in absolute mint condition, just sold in Auburn CA for $7500. Had nav, climate package, DVD. New compressor (Arnott), tires, expansion tank, control arms, etc. Was sad to not snag it in time.

Blaise

Keep looking. I paid less than your target price for a loaded 06 SE V8 HD with 110k miles. Of course I have since done tires, LCA bushings, a battery, tie rods, lots of misc fixes, TB/MAF, all fluids, hubs, etc etc etc.

A well sorted truck with full records will fetch far more coin. I've spent over 3k on parts/fluids alone... but now I know it's done and it's done right.

For me, the key was to look for LR3s that hadn't ever seen dirt and were driven as kid haulers.

Deshet

Adventurer
I am not a Land Rover expert by any means....
Is the HD model denoted by a vin code?
It looks like it was available in the HSE and SE. I understand what to look for when I see the car in person but is there anything lets you know it is an HD

Is a HSE with Navigation a HD by default?

Thanks

Deshet

Adventurer
From the VIN the options list can be decoded, and you will know how it came. Think I used this one in the past: https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/Land Rover Look for info related to the rear axle.

That link did not show anything indepth details....
Did you pay for the history reports?
I am looking for a manfacture style build sheet based on the VIN

is there a button or switch for the rear locker that I can ask for pictures of?

Thanks

Attachments

• 00k0k_39UmRYTc15G_1200x900.jpg
    00k0k_39UmRYTc15G_1200x900.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

ar4me

Adventurer
That link did not show anything indepth details....
Did you pay for the history reports?
No. Enter the VIN for a candidate vehicle, hit search, and look through the options list it provides - look for information pertaining to "rear axle", open diff or locking. The information is buried in there.

LR Max

Local Oaf
After driving my LR3 for 10 months, if you find a very nice non-rear locker vehicle that checks all the boxes other than rear diff lock, get it. The traction control on these is pretty darn good.

krick3tt

Adventurer
The idea of adding something to a vehicle that is low cost (relatively speaking) doesn't sound off the wall to me. Mine came with the locker but there were other costs that were unknown at the time of purchase. PO was not forthcoming about some things and I was not aware of them even though it was inspected. When I went to the local LR dealer I discovered that he (PO) was aware of them but did not let me know.
So finding one that is absolutely pristine could be wonderful but it is a used vehicle and unless you rode with the PO for their entire time with the vehicle it is still a crap shoot.

Ray_G

Explorer
After driving my LR3 for 10 months, if you find a very nice non-rear locker vehicle that checks all the boxes other than rear diff lock, get it. The traction control on these is pretty darn good.
^ This.

The HD is nice, but far from essential for the vast majority.

Jwestpro

Explorer
I am not a Land Rover expert by any means....
It looks like it was available in the HSE and SE. I understand what to look for when I see the car in person but is there anything lets you know it is an HD

Is a HSE with Navigation a HD by default?

Thanks

Seems like nobody answered the end question. NO is your answer. HD was a line item option not included w anything else. Only on the Supercharged Sports and full size RR did the locker automatically also come with the SC level build. In that case it was standard.

It is basically unnecessary but better in some aspects would be the ARB air locker which you can just have on as needed and not depend on the system deciding for you - although as I understand it is a pretty instant lock and then off your mind.

I would 100% not make it a factor required in finding a used lr3.

Jaiso

A normal VIN decoder isn't reliable enough to tell you. You can use the Genesis tool from Nanocom/Blackbox Solutions though.
  1. Go to Genesis
  2. Enter the vin and click continue
  3. Click CCF Edit
  4. Click Edit for the As Built data
  5. Review the diff info under powertrain, if "Rear Axle Differential Lock" says " Rear differential lock-up is fitted." then that VIN has the HD package

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier