4x4 Australia magazine 12 volt winch test

67cj5

Man On a Mission
12 volt winch test: pics, looooots of words and numbers, plus a video.

https://www.4x4australia.com.au/gear/recovery/1708/12-volt-winch-test-results

The Long Paddock.
(Mark Allen)
I know this is and older thread but this Winch test of Marks was a true Tried and tested shoot out, needless to say the results were impressive, I have used the winning Winch be it under another name, and that the testing was done pulling a 5000kg/11023Lbs load and seeing as most of the Winches were factory rated at 9500LBs or 4309kgs They were tested by a whopping 16% beyond their Rating, It does not sound like much but on a 9500Lb winch that is exceeding it's rating by 1523Lbs or 691kgs which is almost 2/3's of a Ton,

Over they years I have read a few of Marks Tests/Reports and they are well worth keeping an eye On.

Thanks Mark for taking the time to piece this all together.

Last edited:

The Long Paddock

www.thelongpaddock.net
I know this is and older thread but this Winch test of Marks was a true Tried and tested shoot out, needless to say the results were impressive, I have used the winning Winch be it under another name, and that the testing was done pulling a 5000kg/11023Lbs load and seeing as most of the Winches were factory rated at 9500LBs or 4309kgs They were tested by a whopping 16% beyond their Rating, It does not sound like much but on a 9500Lb winch that is exceeding it's rating by 1523Lbs or 691kgs which is almost 2/3's of a Ton,

Over they years I have read a few of Marks Tests/Reports and they are well worth keeping an eye On.

Thanks for your comments 67cj5, (not sure who you are sorry), I try very hard to be fair, even and unbiased with my comparisons and testing. This winch test was a massive undertaking and could not have been done without the help of a handful of people as per the article.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Thanks for your comments 67cj5, (not sure who you are sorry), I try very hard to be fair, even and unbiased with my comparisons and testing. This winch test was a massive undertaking and could not have been done without the help of a handful of people as per the article.
G'day Mark, I also followed both of your compressor tests and the Fridge shootout all of which are saved in my favourites, "Hope you don't mind" In the later compressor test I ended up buying both of the ARB portables and all their gauges due to your testing and a few video's, In the earlier test you did on compressors it was a real eye opener to see just what some of the cheaper brands are made of and These Winches are no different The winning Winch is known as the Champion/ Now/ Warrior in the EU and North America and I own one,

There have been many tests on winches over the years but non went as far as your make or break testing, I urge people to read the article and watch the video and read between the lines because your test is about as good as it gets when it comes to real world testing to the point where most folks push their winches to the limits, The Runva is a heck of a winch and it comes with all the "free" accessories that are added extras with other brands,

Anyway Mark, Thanks again for taking the time to piece it all together.

J.

Coachgeo

Explorer

what was other name it has been sold under?

67cj5

Man On a Mission
what was other name it has been sold under?
The First Name it had before it was called the Runva EWX 9500 was Champion EWX 9500 In the UK,

NOW In the UK and US and North America / Canada and the EU they are called

Warrior Samurai S9500 / 950SS12 In the UK and US etc,

See here, https://www.electricwinchshop.co.uk...-samurai/warrior-s9500-samurai-12v-steel.html

AND HERE is the range of their 4x4 models and they do make some even bigger.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Looks like a thoroughgoing test.

found a typo that obscures the meaning -

"or use a double line pull to get more rope of the drum to start with. "

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Looks like a thoroughgoing test.

found a typo that obscures the meaning -

"or use a double line pull to get more rope of the drum to start with. "
Yep and the Runva/Warrior Winch carries a life time Guarantee as well, I bought the version that the SAS use which is the EWX 9500SD which is the Sort Drum Version which Warn copied with their Rock Winch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles