Uconnect and topo

Has anyone with any kind of u-connect system or model radio system like as found in the new jeeps or chevy Colorado ( not sure what others have the touch screen and nav latest generation) found a way to upload a navigation app like Gaia Back country explorer topo USA etc. to the radio directly? seems like it should be doable

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I'm bringing this back. The new JL my be in my future. I'd like to be able to use Gia, or TOPO USA through the Uconnect. There is also the potential of mirroring, but not sure if that is possible on the Uconnect yet.

Has anyone been able to use various phone mapping apps, or been able to mirror their phone?

same here but htis i I know on the chevy colorado it would not read allof the apps ( including topo usa) but it did read some like audible. I was looking at the Jeep wrnagler build and price and I noticed it said thatteh 8.4 uconnect has terrain maps . Now I am not sure whatthe terrianmaps are like but if they are like Google maps used to be to it my be epic.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
While the nav system in the JK was designed by Garmin, there was no way to load any topo maps to it.

I heard one short blurb about the JL having some kind of trail map built into the nav.
Only heard it once, and absolutely no details. :(
Since the display takes up so much dash room, it would sure be nice if they would provide this option. :)

I may install a radio with Android Auto in the truck, but for that to happen it would have to mirror BCN, or one of the other good apps first.
Otherwise I'll continue to use the Notepad.

spagthorpe

Observer
There are a ton of true Android head units you can install which will run the popular maps. I continue to use a standalone GPS for things like this though.

greg.potter

Adventurer
Not sure about what is going in the JL but the 430N units that went into the JK only supported the maps provided by Garmin/Jeep. You can load routes and waypoints built in Mapsource or Basecamp into the unit using the Garmin POI loader application (free) and a USB drive, but you are stuck with the non topographical maps on the unit.

Here is the link to one of the best articles I have found on how to do it.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-...s-waypoints-into-430n-navigation-head-274576/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles