How often do you clean your Solar panels?

java

Expedition Leader
630W panels, no snow output. snow no output.
Even a dusting will kill the panel's output.
Hmmmm I thought I got a little through the snow still. I realize it will never be near rated capacity

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Joe917

Explorer
Yes you get a little through the snow. In good sun with discharged batteries I expect to see between 20 and 30 amps. If I see 4 or 5 its time to clear the snow!

Janso

As an existing renewables engineer for solar and wind; here's my penny's worth! Clean them twice a year and use deionised water NOTHING else! Bird muck can reduce a panels production to a third depending on coverage. If a panel has darker cells than others get it checked. The cell could be starting to breakdown which in turn can reduce a panel to half output (depending on how the cell circuits are made).
Depending on the system, and if you can (minor maintenance on camper panel layout) check over the cables for nicks, deformation, etc and if competent, see if you can check the dc output using a multimeter or clamp meter. It's fairly easy for a panel to reduce or stop production because of an ground earth leak. The good news; over panels are getting cheaper and more viable so replacement shouldn't be too bad in the wallet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

java

Expedition Leader
Thank you! Appreciate the input.

Any thoughts on snow and loss of production? I'm in snow one of three trips probably. Thinking of way over sizing and hoping for the best.... Sometimes it's a dusting, which should still have some production, sometimes it's feet, which obviously won't...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Haven't cleaned mine (or washed the truck) since I put it on four months ago. This morning it was in bulk and had the batteries up to 13.8v before the sun was even on the panel.

When I checked it first at like 5am the batteries were resting at 13.0v. But even dirty the solar does a good job of charging batteries that are already full. :D

Since my panels are currently portable, I make sure they're clean when I set them out or put them up on the top of my camper.

I have a module that I use to monitor voltage, current and watt hours going into my system from the solar feed. At a recent event in Birmingham where I was camped for 3 days, the dust from the people coming and going on the gravel roads in the camping area settled on the 2 panels that I'd placed on top of the camper...cleaning the dust off on the second day gave an immediate 15% increase in output. That may not seem like a big deal, but in my case, it matters.

If I'm only using 2 of my 4 panels (100W Renogy Eclipse) I don't have enough solar power to run my Norcold refrig off 12V instead of using propane. It draws about 10A at 12V and it will easily drain my 100AH battery pretty low overnight, so maxxing out available solar to recharge during the day is key. I have 100AH LiPO battery coming this week, so that will help a lot in terms of useable Watt Hours from the battery, but I still come up short in terms of power used vs power from solar.

On a good day with the panels angled towards the sun and re-orienting them to the sun every few hours, I can see around 1000WH of power into the system from the 2 100W panels and MPPT controller over the course of a day. I have never used them flat as opposed to angled towards the sun, but I suspect the power over the course of a day would be closer to 800WH or less. At peak solar times of the day, I'll see around 150-170W into the system at the battery, so enough power to run the refrig and some left over to charge the battery, but not much and certainly not enough to bring back to full charge. The refrig will use somewhere North of 2000WH in a day if run purely off 12V. Houston, we have a deficit. After a couple days, I've either got to fire up the truck or a small Honda genny to get me back to 100%...or burn propane for a day or so and let solar catch up with usage. And this doesn't begin to take into account a cloudy or overcast day.

I think my situation is typical of many that are trying to balance their needs with cost, simplicity and space for things like extra batteries, extra propane and space for enough solar to meet their needs. Granted, a lot of overlanders won't be using a refrig that draws 10A at 12V...most of the portables are <3A and the duty cycle is not 100%.

I created a spreadsheet to get a handle on power needs from various loads that I have and when they're needed...day vs night (when solar is available vs night when running off battery)...it was very useful in seeing what my actual needs are and how to meet them or adjust usage accordingly. Will share if anyone is interested.

Joe917

Explorer
I think my situation is typical of many that are trying to balance their needs with cost, simplicity and space for things like extra batteries, extra propane and space for enough solar to meet their needs. Granted, a lot of overlanders won't be using a refrig that draws 10A at 12V...most of the portables are <3A and the duty cycle is not 100%.

Before you spend more money on solar you need a new fridge. http://www.novakool.com/products/two_doors/rfu6200_6800_8000_9000.htm

Joe,

I can buy a lot of solar for $1,300+, given that I've got a perfectly good, though power hungry, reefer in the rig now. If I were starting from scratch, one of the Nova Kool units would be much better choice than the Norcold I have now. I looked at the NK units a couple years ago when I had to replace the cooling unit, but the price put me off. Was able to get a rebuilt cooling unit for $300 and replace it myself. I have a fairly high inconvenience to $$ ratio! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles