How often do you clean your Solar panels?

java

Expedition Leader
Simple question: How often do you clean your Solar panels?

Thinking of putting some of the roof of my truck, but they would be inaccessible realistically. I could clean occasionally when home off a ladder. They would be flat mounted, so easy to collect "stuff". How much efficiency will I loose?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
My big house system 29 panels twice a yr. once after the pine pollen is done and once after the fire season. Which means next week. 45minutes with a ladder and a 30ft pool pole with a window squeegie on the end.

A van? 5 minutes do it when ever they are dirty.

java

Expedition Leader
My big house system 29 panels twice a yr. once after the pine pollen is done and once after the fire season. Which means next week. 45minutes with a ladder and a 30ft pool pole with a window squeegie on the end.

A van? 5 minutes do it when ever they are dirty.

Yeah I cant reach the top of my van without a step ladder..... Its ~12' to the roof. Which means rarely in all likely hood.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I clean my panels randomly, because they are a pia to reach... when I do clean them there isn't much of a difference in output. I use rainx each time I do clean them and it seems to help significantly.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Never used Rainx but that is a good idea. I usually clean mine a couple of times a year, but not on any sort of a regular schedule.

Joe917

Explorer
I clean the panels probably 4 or 5 times a year. They are flat mounted 11' up, access via roof hatch.
Rain keeps them clean even flat. The most useful thing is a meter easily readable inside. If you notice amps are low stick your head out the hatch and check the panels, usually is leaves. Snow is a PITA

java

Expedition Leader
Thanks guys. My old panels always seemed to make a little power under an inch or two if snow, but I didn't have a good meter on that truck, anyone have experience with snow loss?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Joe917

Explorer
Any snow on the panel causes dramatic power loss.
Get yourself a meter. Trimetric highly recommended.

java

Expedition Leader
Any snow on the panel causes dramatic power loss.
Get yourself a meter. Trimetric highly recommended.
I have a Victron meter in the new truck, just no panels yet....

Do you have any info from your setup?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

java

Expedition Leader
My camper modules are 10° or so from flat & makes a huge difference how clean they remain compared to my trailer modules what are flat. (I live where rain about 700mm/year) That .5mm or so protrusion of aluminum frame captures water and assures collected muck evenly distributed. Maybe I should put blocks under its wheels as its parked to assure water runoff...
Yes, dirt affects my system output. An oldschool D’arsonval meter indicates for me.

Exactly what I ran into with my old truck, that little lip keeps everything nicely on the panel. I don't have enough height to tilt them much I don't think. We get lots of rain around here too.

jonyjoe101

Adventurer
I havent cleaned mine in over 3 years, it always puts out the same amperage. Last time I looked at them they looked dirty but not dirty enough to clean them. If it affects output it's probably minimal where I don't even notice it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94