Expedition Vehicles: ridiculously overpriced or not

Factoid

Three criminal heroes
Nothing is overpriced if it continues to sell. Capitalism is driven by supply and demand. This is why the market leaders are often those first in and the laggers suffer UNLESS they find an advantage, significant innovation, price reduction, etc. So, no they are not overpriced and if they were people would stop buying them, players would drop out and/or prices would come down. Given the current lead times of the big players, I don’t see that happening anytime soon.

tby6q

It's been touched on elsewhere in the thread, but as someone who has been looking for 6 months I think it's worth pointing out that there is at least a little bit of "thin market" dynamics happening in the US for the big rigs. Low volume, low supply, high prices.

For example, if you know exactly what you want and only GXV makes it, there are probably 0 on the used market. When it finally does come up for sale, you're not the only bidder. The other option is to buy new, and that's where the $500k+ price tags can be found. If there were simply more of these vehicles out there, I think both the new and used prices would settle down quite a bit.

It doesn't look like this in Europe. More trucks are for sale, and there is a relatively active used market (see Expedition Truck Brokers). They don't list the asking prices often, but I've seen some really reasonable asks on ETB for really full featured trucks. Of course, for many reasons it's not worthwhile to import them to the US and so the market is isolated to Europe.

Roverchef

Adventurer
For those of you that have never touched or driven one of these larger expo rigs then I would advise you to do so before burning them @ the stake. Just because you can't or won't afford one of these rigs doesn't mean they are overpriced. I know 1st hand from building 2 of these "larger than life" rigs from scratch that the #'s aren't that far off. Wheel what you can afford!

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
For those of you that have never touched or driven one of these larger expo rigs then I would advise you to do so before burning them @ the stake. Just because you can't or won't afford one of these rigs doesn't mean they are overpriced. I know 1st hand from building 2 of these "larger than life" rigs from scratch that the #'s aren't that far off. Wheel what you can afford!

Do you also think people kayak only because they can't afford a motorboat? Or that people only travel on motorcycles because they can't afford a car or a motorhome?

Last edited:

Peneumbra2

Badger Wrangler
Fellow Comrades!
You are seeing downfall of capitalist system with prices only rich merchant princes are being able to afford!
When the Peoples rise up they will smash the unfair imperialist economy and everything is belonging to everyone!

- Boris Badenov

Peneumbra2

Badger Wrangler
@ Verkstad: You are perhaps looking for tastefully painted Surface-To-Air missile? Or maybe latest in long-range torpedo?
All is available and at majorly less prices than finding on e-bay!

Boris B.

Darwin

Explorer
Kali,

Have you heard of the Adventure Truck. It's a new class of affordable overland vehicles.

w
Affordable in subjective, especially in this case. I believe with the truck pictured above optioned with mastervolt etc. the price is 270K. That's cheap if your income is a 1,000,000 dollars a year.

Not sure how any could claim 270k and let's face it, a luxury item is "affordable" . It's too bad there are not as many builders as there are in Europe, they have a lot more options overthere.

Affordable in my opinion would be more than a typical truck camper RV but less than the "adventure truck". Nobody seems to get to that segment of the buyers, who are stuck with either junky typical RV garbage or unaffordable earthroamers etc.

MJCake1

To add insult to injury, per some youtube videos Sportsmobile is busy until a year out for 100k+ builds. I really dont get it. Maybe there should be more competition for this or a builder overseas to have turn key products. I recently ordered a triple slide camper and have purchased bigger AT tires/rims for my dually f, to give it a more offroad capacity and a better look (yes I am that superficial) . This will be my poor mans build of an Earth Roamer, also considering the 12k Kelderman suspension upgrade if it seems worthy. I do not plan to do major offroading but want the 4x4 ability, if I get stuck or get in tight places. 60k for camper, 60k for truck, we will see how it goes.

There is a market for someone to build a capable ************ looking camper for around 150k.
Don't forget winches, solar, inverters, batteries, lights, radios, aluminum custom made racks, bumpers, Italian refrigeration, marine grade components for everything, all the wiring including dual battery ACR's, Navigation, entertainment systems, super single rims, or military bead locker, water tanks, filtration, pumps, showers,zero pottys for instance and I could on... It adds up but labor and profit margins are the killer deal.

AdventureTrucks

Affordable in subjective, especially in this case. I believe with the truck pictured above optioned with mastervolt etc. the price is 270K. That's cheap if your income is a 1,000,000 dollars a year.

Not sure how any could claim 270k and let's face it, a luxury item is "affordable" . It's too bad there are not as many builders as there are in Europe, they have a lot more options overthere.

Affordable in my opinion would be more than a typical truck camper RV but less than the "adventure truck". Nobody seems to get to that segment of the buyers, who are stuck with either junky typical RV garbage or unaffordable earthroamers etc.
The Standard Adventure Truck starts at $198,000.

Jesse42

Kali,

Have you seen the EarthCruiser EXD? I believe it fits on the back of a bunch of different US pickup trucks. I watched a build thread here (sorry, I don’t have the link handy) and then saw it in person at Expo East and it was very impressive. They packed most of the features from the traditional EarthCruiser house into it. I am not sure what the entry price is, but it is much lower than the standard EC.

https://earthcruiser.com/our-vehicles/earthcruiser-exd/

Jesse

waveslider

Outdoorsman
There is a market for someone to build a capable ************ looking camper for around 150k.

Boom! Problem solved. Here is a ************ looking camper for right around $150k

https://www.hunterrmv.com/for-sale/

11-1024x668.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier