Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Expedition Vehicles: ridiculously overpriced or not

Quote Originally Posted by rruff View Post
    Wondering what Toyotas you are thinking of that would be suitable for a luxury overland camper?
    As far as building luxury camper, and whats available presently, I would look at a Coaster or Dyna.
    Years past Toyota made a variety of bigger trucks too. But I think they leave that market now to their Hino subsidy
    Last edited by Verkstad; 11-19-2017 at 05:39 PM.

Middle of Nowhere, Outer Skin of Space Ship Earth, 1 A.U. from Sol, Outskirts of Milky Way.
    Quote Originally Posted by charlieaarons View Post
    26000 lb , not 30000. I was trying to get to a good beach for camping by crossing a "dry" lake.
    And I for one have been in the Gobi.Attachment 425744
    Ah yes, 26,000. I stand corrected.

Middle of Nowhere, Outer Skin of Space Ship Earth, 1 A.U. from Sol, Outskirts of Milky Way.
    Wondering what Toyotas you are thinking of that would be suitable for a luxury overland camper?
    Sorry, I actually meant to say Mitsubishi and brain farted. But now that you mention it...

Quote Originally Posted by dwh View Post
    "Traveling the world" and "really going off-road" are two different things.

According to many world travelers, pretty much everywhere has roads - but they are usually bad roads.

Hence the common distinction:

"An overland campervan is not an off-road vehicle - it is a bad road vehicle."

Big overland campervans are designed and intended to be motorhomes that can be lived in for years and survive 30,000 miles of bad road.

If they won't fit down someone's favorite little trail, that's fine - running trails is off-roading, not overlanding, and overland campervans are not off-road vehicles.

There are, of course exceptions to every rule, and some guys do like to off-road in their campervans. I seem to recall a guy with a 30,000 lb. mog getting it stuck in a dry lake bed that wasn't as dry as it looked (Hi, Charlie!).

But most try to avoid it if they can.

For world traveling, one of the main reasons for platform choice is global service and support. Mercedes and Toyota you can always get parts for and find a mechanic who can figure it out.

2018 F-650...no doubt it could be done, but maybe not as convenient.
    There are paved roads in national parks where these monster rigs cannot go.

Quote Originally Posted by downhill View Post
    There are paved roads in national parks where these monster rigs cannot go.
    like the road in Yosemite Nat'l Park through the trunk of a redwood tree? True, but a pickup camper won't fit either. At 11'9" my "monster rig" is lower than a Lance on a F450 4x4. Anyways it fell down in 1969.
    https://www.nps.gov/seki/faqtunnel.htm

Charlie
    Last edited by charlieaarons; Yesterday at 02:50 AM.
    Unimog U500 with Unicat camper; diesel BMW X5 35d, diesel BJ40 Landcruiser and diesel M37

There are very few places I can't get my MB917AF. My truck has been to more than 45 countries.
    1993 Mercedes-Benz 917 AF

I suspect the great majority of the $500k+ expedition RV owners are not doing anything extreme. Mild dirt road traveling would be about it. If you wanted to travel the world and really go offroad, a Mog with a custom box would be a better choice vs a Ford truck chassis.
    Actually if world travel / cruise is the plan then the EXpedition Rig has been around for 100+ yrs already. It floats and sails via wind power. The land based crazy built madness is simply a by product of a strong economy. Patigonia was done 50yrs ago in beater 2wd vans and crude dirt bikes.

Many friends cruise the world on sailboats that cost a fraction of what these fancy RVs sell for.

There are many parallels between sailboats and expedition vehicles, from systems to costs to owners.(sailboats, ridiculously overpriced or not)
    1993 Mercedes-Benz 917 AF

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567