Maranda Slide In / Just Cut a Hole in the Roof for a Vent

TheRedDawn

Observer
Just got a used Maranda camper for my Tacoma. Before this, I had Northern Light and before that, a 4WC.

This is a new, more simple and much lighter option for me @ 440 pounds. Plus, it doubles as more space for work without concern I'm going to damage or scratch something.

Anyways, I needed some ventilation so I traced the outline of the vent. Happened to have a drill bit roughly the same angle as the edges so used that for the corners. Then went to town with a sawsall. All went well. It rained last night and no leaks.

Attachments

• IMG_0974.JPG
    IMG_0974.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_0976.JPG
    IMG_0976.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0979.JPG
    IMG_0979.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_0998.JPG
    IMG_0998.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 196

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Congratulations on the acquisition and the lack of leaks !

Looks very nice and interested to see how you outfit the interior...

Will you be adding some windows as well ?

Tonymorr

Awesome! Following. I'm thinking about doing the same to my F150.
IU-OG-trades-spacekap5.jpg

Last edited:

mrblah

Observer
Sweet! I was wondering if that could be done!

Maranda says that it's not designed to fit on a Tacoma though? Any issues fitting it in?

Tonymorr

I took the plunge and ordered today with the following options: front slider window, rear door windows, MaxxFan 7000, rear camera compatible with the truck screen. Can't wait to get it!

mrblah

Observer
I'm surprised these caps haven't been more popular as DIY campers.

I'm looking at them (used) and they are relatively cheap (less than 2k$ CAD). Add a cheap truck and camping gear and you're done!

The only thing I wish would be that getting a compatible flatbed for them be easier. To me the OEM bed is a waste of exterior storage space...

mrblah

Observer
Just got a used Maranda camper for my Tacoma. Before this, I had Northern Light and before that, a 4WC.

This is a new, more simple and much lighter option for me @ 440 pounds. Plus, it doubles as more space for work without concern I'm going to damage or scratch something.

Anyways, I needed some ventilation so I traced the outline of the vent. Happened to have a drill bit roughly the same angle as the edges so used that for the corners. Then went to town with a sawsall. All went well. It rained last night and no leaks.

I was in contact with Maranda and they where telling me that these aren't sdesigned with the Tacoma in mind.

any issues?

erstwild

I took the plunge and ordered today with the following options: front slider window, rear door windows, MaxxFan 7000, rear camera compatible with the truck screen. Can't wait to get it!

I'm very interested in doing something similar myself. Which vendor did you order from (Maranda, SpaceKap, Tufport, etc.) in the end? How have things turned out?

Tonymorr

I'm very interested in doing something similar myself. Which vendor did you order from (Maranda, SpaceKap, Tufport, etc.) in the end? How have things turned out?
I got mine through Composite Truck Bodies in Connecticut. Working out pretty well I think. I started a little build thread here.

erstwild

I got mine through Composite Truck Bodies in Connecticut. Working out pretty well I think. I started a little build thread here.

Thanks Tony! I stumbled across your build thread this morning after some additional searching. If you would not mind, I do have one question. These SpaceKaps supposedly have insulated, double-walled shells. Can you comment on their insulation? Is it a foam sandwich? Just reflectix?

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I'm surprised these caps haven't been more popular as DIY campers.

I'm looking at them (used) and they are relatively cheap (less than 2k$ CAD). Add a cheap truck and camping gear and you're done!

The only thing I wish would be that getting a compatible flatbed for them be easier. To me the OEM bed is a waste of exterior storage space...

I am also surprised they are not more popular as camper too. I think they just too hard to find here in the USA.

Tonymorr

Thanks Tony! I stumbled across your build thread this morning after some additional searching. If you would not mind, I do have one question. These SpaceKaps supposedly have insulated, double-walled shells. Can you comment on their insulation? Is it a foam sandwich? Just reflectix?

My unit does not have insulation and I believe it is identical to a Spacekap Diablo.

Jonnyo

Observer
My unit does not have insulation and I believe it is identical to a Spacekap Diablo.
tony, i had a question i posted in your build thread if you ever have time.

for the other poster, i seen some people using spray foam for insulation. The factory insulation is some kind of foam and finishing panel but not a true sandwich panel. I only saw the medical unit with this option

erstwild

tony, i had a question i posted in your build thread if you ever have time.

for the other poster, i seen some people using spray foam for insulation. The factory insulation is some kind of foam and finishing panel but not a true sandwich panel. I only saw the medical unit with this option

Thanks Jonnyo. I emailed SpaceKap for a quote and options list. It appears that there is a factory urethane foam option for $640 which should work just fine for me. I'm just looking forward to having a hardshell with some adequate insulation in my upgrade from my RTT.

Jonnyo

Observer
i have a shell that i m finishing very basically....and i have to say insulation would be great as it s 85-90 outside and it s very hot inside. I will find a way to insulate it at same point but most of my camping will be in the mountain of bc or coast so i should not have to deal with much heat.... but for fall/winter..insulation is a must!

they are amazing shell...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles