All Things 3.4 Swap

Tokarev

I'd been wanting to do a swap for a long time. I've seen plenty of photos, read a lot of threads, and exchanged a few emails with people who have done it. I talked to a local garage that I trust about doing some of the wiring, etc.

After all this, I decided that the best route for me was to go with toyonlyswaps. I had the rig trailered to their shop in Oregon and let them do all the work to include a finding the donor engine.

I paid a bit extra for a low mileage 3.4 engine (2001 Taco with slightly over 110,000 miles) and also had them do a few other things like put in a new radiator. The cost of the conversion was probably more than the value of the vehicle but it should give me a rig that will run for 5 or 10 years with minimal fuss. At least that's my hope.

The swap was completed ahead of schedule and the installation looks totally professional. If you didn't know the engine wasn't original you wouldn't be able to tell by looking.

I only have about 2,500 miles on it since the work was done but it is running smoothly, has nice power and I don't see any signs of burning or leaking oil.

Merry Christmas!

BEFORE:

b54414bdcad10427cf9b3e8bb75d4215.jpg

AFTER:

826f968171e41328547585d402a1c221.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tokarev

I spoke too soon, I guess. The rig has been running very well but developed a horrendous rattle coming from underneath the vehicle.

Flexplate had cracked! Probably something to add to the list of things to inspect very well for those of you who are doing your swaps.
3c8058a5935a78bee8ba09f1bed6354d.jpg

Arktikos

Explorer
For those possibly interested in this, I've heard it's necessary to do a body lift in order to make this swap.

battleaxe

Captain Obvious
For those possibly interested in this, I've heard it's necessary to do a body lift in order to make this swap.

That's somewhat subjective. You don't HAVE to do a body lift. If you look at Tokarev's photo, the shop just clearanced the hood by removing the centre section.

Personally I don't like body lifts, so I'd definitely just clearance the hood.

OR, if you're doing a 22R to 5VZ, just fab your engine mounts low enough to clear the hood. That's really all the body lift is achieving.

OR... Build some spacers for your hood mount bolts. Looks kinda goofy, but also helps with cooling as well.

flyinsquirel

That's somewhat subjective. You don't HAVE to do a body lift. If you look at Tokarev's photo, the shop just clearanced the hood by removing the centre section.

Personally I don't like body lifts, so I'd definitely just clearance the hood.

OR, if you're doing a 22R to 5VZ, just fab your engine mounts low enough to clear the hood. That's really all the body lift is achieving.

OR... Build some spacers for your hood mount bolts. Looks kinda goofy, but also helps with cooling as well.

First post, I had to wait until I could add some value.

Having swapped a 3.4 into an 84 I'll say that I don't believe it's possible to get the motor low enough to clear the hood without notching the frame to sink the motor mount into it. The pulley on the drivers side(believe it's the PS off hand) will also need a clearance notch if you go this route. You may be able to get a shorter than standard belt and avoid the pulley notch, not sure.

Not being a fan of body mounts I opted to cut the hood as most others have. I did a reverse hood scoop that faces the windshield. Side benefit being that your engine will help defrost your windshield and you'll have to try really hard to overheat.

The 3.4 was the best mod I ever made to that truck. Lockers and and the super low TC gears being the second.

aaronglenn

SongDog
So I bought jumped the gun and bought a 3.4 out of a 2001 4x2 4runner. I now realize that I have made a lot of hurdles for myself to get this going. It didn’t come with the engine harness or ECM. I have found a 4x2 ECM on eBay that is relatively cheap but can I make this work? Do I need to buy an engine harness and ECM that are already paired up? Or can I purchase an ECM from another 2001 and match up an engine harness ? I’m at a loss right now and really wishing I’d just bought a complete donor car for this swap.

Tokarev

So I bought jumped the gun and bought a 3.4 out of a 2001 4x2 4runner. I now realize that I have made a lot of hurdles for myself to get this going. It didn’t come with the engine harness or ECM. I have found a 4x2 ECM on eBay that is relatively cheap but can I make this work? Do I need to buy an engine harness and ECM that are already paired up? Or can I purchase an ECM from another 2001 and match up an engine harness ? I’m at a loss right now and really wishing I’d just bought a complete donor car for this swap.
Give Cliff at Toy Only Swaps a call. He can probably get you sorted out.

TheCascadeKid

Observer
@aaronglenn, I would look at junk yards for an ECM that matches your donor year and transmission. This will save a lot of time by minimizing the # of wires you have to hunt down in the EWD and re-pin. It's also best for your donor to be of the same transmission type (auto/manual) as the vehicle you're swapping it into but not a requirement.

Let me know if you need any help. Wiring was the most daunting part for me, but turned out to be pretty straight forward once getting into it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles