My first FG

Hawky4x4

Hi everyone!
Im thrilled to have very recently purchased my 2000 FG637 camper, i flew from Broome WA to the sunshine coast QLD and am currently driving back.
I had a rough start since 2 days in to the roadtrip my gearbox essentially blew up and ive been stuck in Longreach QLD for a week waiting for the new box to arrive...
Hopefully ill be back on the road monday.

I have a couple of rookie questions,
Firstly, how do i upload photos? I would like to show you guys what i got :D

Secondly, the beast has singles on the back even though it has stock rims (the inner rims are still there just no tyres), ive been reading about super singles till the point it feels like my eyes are going to fall out but i cannot find an answer to this... can i take the inside rim off so as to not push the tyre out so far from the bearing? Or is there a reason that the inside rim has to stay there?

After buying the truck and now forking out for a new gearbox i simply cannot afford super singles at this stage or in the near future and i really dont fancy putting 2 tyres on the inner rims either.

Thanks everyone hopefully i can get some photos up asap! ✌🍻

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Firstly... welcome. :)

Sorry to hear about your gearbox issues. That must have seriously peeved you off when it broke.

If your truck is still rated at the maximum GVM it is probably illegal to be running a single rear wheel setup using standard tyres/rims. What's on the back of the truck?
Having the inner rims without tyres would seem like a bit of a red flag to the police. Don't know if I would be comfortable doing that.

Hawky4x4

Firstly... welcome. :)

Sorry to hear about your gearbox issues. That must have seriously peeved you off when it broke.

If your truck is still rated at the maximum GVM it is probably illegal to be running a single rear wheel setup using standard tyres/rims. What's on the back of the truck?
Having the inner rims without tyres would seem like a bit of a red flag to the police. Don't know if I would be comfortable doing that.

Thanks mate :)
I wasnt too impressed but these things happen so not worth being upset about.

I believe its an ex touring truck that still has the back shape but the inside is now fitted out as a camper.
I thought it was weird being the way it is, does the inside rim need to be there or can i take it off and run one?

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Even if you did do this, you are not going to change the track all that much, unless you fit the rears like inners, but then your track would be pretty narrow, which could give you stability issues.
You would just have to use the dually studs (the ones with the square drive) but as I have already said, I doubt that running standard wheels as singles on the rear is legal.
I would not recommend doing it.

The safest thing for now would be to get a couple of tyres and tubes and run duals on the back, plus, it would definitely be safer and it would be legal.
If there are any truck wreckers near where you are you could probably pick up some decent second hand tyres. Those trucks use a pretty common tyre, Not ideal, but it would save you some bucks.

Clyde4x4fuso

Hi everyone!
Im thrilled to have very recently purchased my 2000 FG637 camper, i flew from Broome WA to the sunshine coast QLD and am currently driving back.
I had a rough start since 2 days in to the roadtrip my gearbox essentially blew up and ive been stuck in Longreach QLD for a week waiting for the new box to arrive...
Hopefully ill be back on the road monday.

Secondly, the beast has singles on the back even though it has stock rims (the inner rims are still there just no tyres), ive been reading about super singles till the point it feels like my eyes are going to fall out but i cannot find an answer to this... can i take the inside rim off so as to not push the tyre out so far from the bearing? Or is there a reason that the inside rim has to stay there?

Gooday and welcome
What a bugggar of a start mate, but must say there are worse places you could have broken down in.
As for your wheels, sounds very suss to me, as Skifreak said, I also can not see how it could be legal; or even how someone could sell it to you set up that way.
Hope you make it back home without any more problems. Cheers and good luck.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
I'll second what everyone else is posting, you are probably way over the weight for a single stock tire!
The only 'reason' I have heard for running a tireless rim on the back is to 'protect the brake drum', not for spacing. The rim is not that thick to change the track much.
And the 'protect the brake drum' seems to be a very rare if ever used reason.

gait

Explorer
what sort of tyres? It used to be that some put XZL on original rims as singles.

the wheel nut arrangement for duals is different to singles. The inner tyreless rim just acts as a spacer. If I can find them I have a couple of spacers (centre cut out of standard rim).

My recollection is the change to new rims and tyres for singles was sparked by availability of tyres and authorities cracking down on rural fire brigades and a few others with singles on original rims. Whatcharterboat will recall the history.

Also, the original rims were prone to cracking in single arrangement.

Wyuna

Observer
I'm not sure how that would have passed a rego for transfer here in QLD.

but i can only assume it didn't have one, sorry to hear about the gearbox

Hawky4x4

I'm not sure how that would have passed a rego for transfer here in QLD.

but i can only assume it didn't have one, sorry to hear about the gearbox

Im not sure how either now that ive done a bit of research but it definitely passed i have the paperwork
Cheers i appreciate that :) it was supposed to get fixed and back on the road today but the box didnt arrive, fingers crossed for tomorrow!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles