Security cameras for overland vehicles

Kali

Anyone have experience with setting up security cameras on their rig? I was watching a video of the new Earth Roamer (https://youtu.be/941pHjq_EfQ?t=209) and they have installed a GOST security system. I am getting a camper built and was simply going to install 3 wireless Voyeur rear view cameras on each side, im not too sure how that will turn out. I would like a system to monitor outside at nights. Any other security/alarm features out there? I did have a shop hard wire 2 cameras to a cheap small palm sized DVR then to the main tv, it left much to be desired.

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I have wondered if there was any networked cameras that can operate without webconnection. But as long as your within range to the camper you can see the system? And in places where you have web connection you can monitor the camper from remote location?

NotAMog

Observer
This is the closest device I've found -

https://larryalert.com/

I saw it at the Overland Expo West earlier this year. I picked up one but I haven't really used it enough to comment on how well it works.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

MLu

Adventurer
Wi-Fi cameras operating on an onboard Wi-Fi hotspot combined with an Android tablet with something like Alfred. Dunno if Alfred works with dedicated cameras or just with other Android devices, but there are a whole bunch of other similar alternatives, take a look at the home automation stuff.

(Or get a dog. Or stop worrying about what people are doing outside. I had to get that in before this turns into one of those perimeter claymores in the night type of threads.)

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
I think the angle you can see on reversing cameras mean you won't need that many, and I assume you could use them on a cab monitor when driving and a camper monitor when not. But looking out of the window also works. Truck camper windows are above peoples head height so in the past we have looked down unnoticed on people being curious, or even sheltering against our truck from the sun or wind. PIR lighting might be useful to you as well as a deterrent, but also a nuisance to others and wildlife. Are you going to watch the camera feeds all night?

Kali

I think the angle you can see on reversing cameras mean you won't need that many, and I assume you could use them on a cab monitor when driving and a camper monitor when not. But looking out of the window also works. Truck camper windows are above peoples head height so in the past we have looked down unnoticed on people being curious, or even sheltering against our truck from the sun or wind. PIR lighting might be useful to you as well as a deterrent, but also a nuisance to others and wildlife. Are you going to watch the camera feeds all night?

I was camped in Glamis last year with my RZR outside, everyone in our group had left, I stayed a final night. At 3am someone was banging on my toy hauler very hard, I came outside with a large baton type flashlight, the guy pretended to be drunk and saying this was his toy hauler. A few times he reached for his waistband like he had a gun. After yelling at him for several minutes he wouldnt go away but eventually he did, I couldnt sleep after that. I am assuming he thought my camper was empty (everything was stowed away only the RZR was outside) so he can steal my RZR or parts off of it which does happens in Glamis. Next time something like this happens, I will be more prepared and handle it differently.

The main reason for the security system is if I do hear something in the middle of the night I can look at the cameras and properly address the situation, especially boon docking in places where there is no cell phone coverage or law enforcement close by. Another advantage of having a front facing camera is to avoid the lovely pin stripes from tree branches. I am installing hardwired motion sensor lights as well.

Questor

Huge member
I recently purchased a hand held Pulsar Quantum Thermal Imaging scope.
I can see heat sources such as footprints, motors, and people out to about 100 yards.
Real easy to see if anyone is around.
Q~

Kali

I ended up getting 4 rear wireless cameras on each side of the camper, I have to scroll through each camera. Not sure if I would go this route again. Camera cost was $1200 installation was another $1000.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Loud banging to see if anyone is home is thief SOP. They do it on houses too.

Had it happen once when I was taking a crap at home. My son had left the front door unlocked on his way to school.

By the time I wiped my butt and wandered out to see who had been banging on the door, the thief was happily piling my son's electronics up in the middle of the bedspread.

He was somewhat dismayed when he turned and noticed a 6'4" 300lb. biker standing there in his tighty-whiteys blocking the doorway...

Since it was a teenager, I let him go with a warning that if I ever spotted him wandering around my neighborhood in the future, I'd just shoot him and dump his carcass in the desert.

Never did see him again.

Had it happen while camping as well. By the time I put on my boots, grabbed the 12ga., and stepped out, he had the hood open and was reaching for the battery.

I hate theives.

Zybane

Ya nothing is worse that scum looking to steal your stuff rather than work hard and earn it like the rest of us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles