House Batteries in Spare Tire Location?

On Belay

Observer
An update if anyone is interested...

I refined my plans a bit more and took detailed dimensioned drawings in to a local metal fabrication shop as well as the pre-made cardboard template. I explained in detail what I was looking for before leaving. I opted to use 11 Gauge steel plate rather than aluminum to save costs. But as they say the best laid plans...

The plan was to keep the skid plate itself more or less as detailed above but to have 3" edges bent at 90 degrees front and rear to keep the battery locked in place from sliding fore and aft. When I went to pick up there were multiple errors made. I was given two skid plates - one with the bent ridges and one an exact replica of the cardboard template. The plate with the ridges was made using a 21" outer diameter rather than inner diameter (as clearly indicated on the drawings), leaving the interior space 1/4" too small to fit my batteries. As well as the battery retention top plate again bent with outer diameters rather than interior diameters (and no holes for the bolts), luckily I accounted for a bit of extra wiggle room here. The shop itself was thoroughly unwilling to accept any responsibility even after recognizing that they had not produced the product to the dimensions indicated. I left with the plates and began contemplating a modified setup that would avoid me being left with an overpriced stack of scrap metal.

I should be able to use the flat plate (sans ridges) as the lower plate and the top plate just fits over both batteries with just enough room for a 3/8" Grade 8 bolt to slide between. The top plate (with 3 through bolts) should provide enough clamping force to hold the batteries in place with out the added security of the ridges (which would have also added to the overall stiffness of the plate. Not the ideal solution but should still be workable.

Battery Retention Top Plate:

37863159785_b055e662e5_c.jpg

37863159785_b055e662e5_c.jpg

Main Skid Plate:

38033892604_38e2d6049a_c.jpg

24877176718_6ef4fe1bd5_c.jpg

Test fit under the van:

26974083779_a2fc3e4d5c_c.jpg

The second plate with ridges that is unusable for me (if anyone in the Front Range happens to need a plate for water tank or slightly smaller battery bank let me know):

37863158215_ae481034eb_c.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles