DIY Composite Flatbed Camper Build

lostih

Observer
Keep coming back to your thread as a reference for my build...

Did you use a primer with your sika to bond the panels to the aluminum?

Thanks!

Everlanders

IMG_20150827_195811.jpg

Your results may vary of course depending on your surface prep. I don't mean to alarm you, but it's worth a quick test.

Terra Ops

Adventurer
View attachment 434375

Your results may vary of course depending on your surface prep. I don't mean to alarm you, but it's worth a quick test.

Thanks for the concern, I appreciate it.
I did several tests before starting the build and was amazed at the bonding strength.
From your picture, I can see why it peeled off; the surface almost looks like smooth plastic, much different than
the exterior surface of my panels.
I enjoy your video's, keep em coming!!

Britboaters

Observer
Filon RV fiberglass siding

I was up in Indiana / Michigan where they build lots of RV's, checking out the surplus stores in Goshen and White Pigeon. They had rolls of Filon - a thin, maybe 1mm thick sheet of fiberglass on large rolls, maybe 8 to 10 feet wide. Really nice gel coat finish on one side.
This is what is used for laminating to create the exteriors of RV's.
Priced as low as $1 sq foot. We were thinking to use it for the interior of our RV conversion, but could not imagine how we would handle and apply big sheets to existing walls. Probably would be ideal for laminating as Terra has done here.
It's also available on Ebay, with free shipping. Not sure how thay would ship it though.....
Though this might help someone
Bob

Terra Ops

Adventurer
Without actually seeing, it sounds like it may be too thin for panel construction. If it's what I think, this skin is for
covering only. May explain the price at $1. However, it wouldn't hurt to do some testing first. The carbon nanotube epoxy
is very strong.

SquirrelOnCrack

I am actually building an Expedition Vehicle out of a C7500 4x4 and have the shell wrapped with an Aluminum Composite Panel held to the frame with 3M tape. I will also be using Filon sheets over the aluminum panels and will be adhering the Filon with SCIGRIP. Basically an adhesive with sick overall properties.

Any Idea how much epoxy resign used per square foot when laminating the skins onto the foam?

I was thinking I would be fiberglassing my camper project, but seeing this I am curious about the skins now. They look great and I suspect you don't need as much resign as when your laying cloth so maybe they wouldn't end up costing much more...

lostih

Observer
I was up in Indiana / Michigan where they build lots of RV's, checking out the surplus stores in Goshen and White Pigeon. They had rolls of Filon - a thin, maybe 1mm thick sheet of fiberglass on large rolls, maybe 8 to 10 feet wide. Really nice gel coat finish on one side.
This is what is used for laminating to create the exteriors of RV's.

This is the stuff I am using in my build, but as Terra Ops said, I think its too thin on its own. I am laminating up with plywood skins. If you choose to use it they adhere it with a special contact adhesive that would NOT be good for structural adhesion. I'm still testing my panel assembly techniques...haven't arrived at the skill level of Terra Ops yet :)

Terra Ops

Adventurer
Any Idea how much epoxy resign used per square foot when laminating the skins onto the foam?

I was thinking I would be fiberglassing my camper project, but seeing this I am curious about the skins now. They look great and I suspect you don't need as much resign as when your laying cloth so maybe they wouldn't end up costing much more...

Here is my best guess:) Approximately 1.5 cups epoxy which consists of equal parts resin and hardener, covers approx. 20 square feet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier