2004 Dodge 2500 Cummins. Build thread +Advice/help

Splash4cash

I have recently purchased my 2004 Dodge Ram 2500. Its a 4 door long bed. I got new tires because the old ones were shot, I stayed with 35x12.5r17 to fit the fuel rims that came with the truck. I don’t know the backspacing. The truck has what looks to be a 2” leveling spacer in the front. Now let’s get down to the advice....

Questions

The tires rub when turning, what size lift do I need to clear. I don’t really want to go much higher as I will have a full size cab over on he truck most of the time.

What are your opinions on the 2.0 remote resivor fox shocks?

What springs in the front would you recommend for ride quality? Mainly hwy and desert dirt roads.

Do I need to replace the back leaf springs? Airbags for camper, etc...?

Mechanical issues.

Besides the normal leaks I need to locate, the abs brake light, and parking brake light as well as the chime go off/light up when the said wheels are turned past half way to lock. Any ideals?

I’m getting surging rpm (6speed MT) in N after driving normally between 650-850 settling around 700. Marvel mystery oil has helped but not stopped. Is this the fuel pressure regulator?

Camper stuff

What tie downs do you recommend. I am looking for the most secure ones. Right now the back hitch is rounded not the squared off one. Idk if this is the stock hitch or not. The camper I have now is a 1989 lance squire 4000 but I plan on getting a 8’ camper eventually that won’t stick out the back.

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
I had the exact truck but 2005

To keep your rims you may benefit from slightly longer control arms this should help clear rubbing

You may consider a real coil spring vs spacer. I think Remote res shocks may be overkill for your application. A good quality shock paired with a good coil will give you a nice ride.

This is what I had in my 2003 with camper
Thuren 2'' coils
Bilstein Shocks
Sway extensions
Track bar
extended control arms.
Firestone bags
Daystar cups

Bed mounted happi jack tie-downs

On my 2005 Long Bed I bought all the same stuff bu8t sold truck and camper before I got around to installing it

toastyjosh

Adventurer
Ok first things first, How old is the stock fuel filter? If your not sure replace it, run a can of diesel purge, or diesel keen in your tank. Second, buy a secondary fuel filter kit 2 micron. This will save your injectors. Like this one http://www.glacierdieselpower.com/product.aspx?pf_id=MK20306-BLK

fox shocks are great! go for it if you can pull it off.

Dodge off road steering brace, http://store.dodgeoffroad.com/Dodge-Off-Road-Steering-Brace--3rd-Gen-03-08_p_49.html

fox steering stabilizer http://store.dodgeoffroad.com/Fox-20-IFP-Steering-Stabilizer_p_95.html

or if you have the cash http://store.dodgeoffroad.com/Carli-High-Mount-Stabilizer-03-12_p_96.html

ditch the level kit and get some good springs

airbags for the back

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I have recently purchased my 2004 Dodge Ram 2500. Its a 4 door long bed. I got new tires because the old ones were shot, I stayed with 35x12.5r17 to fit the fuel rims that came with the truck. I don't know the backspacing. The truck has what looks to be a 2” leveling spacer in the front. Now let's get down to the advice....

Questions

The tires rub when turning, what size lift do I need to clear. I don't really want to go much higher as I will have a full size cab over on he truck most of the time.

What are your opinions on the 2.0 remote resivor fox shocks?

What springs in the front would you recommend for ride quality? Mainly hwy and desert dirt roads.

Do I need to replace the back leaf springs? Airbags for camper, etc...?

Mechanical issues.

Besides the normal leaks I need to locate, the abs brake light, and parking brake light as well as the chime go off/light up when the said wheels are turned past half way to lock. Any ideals?

I'm getting surging rpm (6speed MT) in N after driving normally between 650-850 settling around 700. Marvel mystery oil has helped but not stopped. Is this the fuel pressure regulator?

Camper stuff

What tie downs do you recommend. I am looking for the most secure ones. Right now the back hitch is rounded not the squared off one. Idk if this is the stock hitch or not. The camper I have now is a 1989 lance squire 4000 but I plan on getting a 8' camper eventually that won't stick out the back.

A forged aluminum stock wheel will cure the rubbing. I'd trust them over any Chinese cast one especially with the heavy load.
The 2.0 reservoir Fox's should be fine. Thuren can help with the valving considering your camper will be on sometimes. He doesn't recommend his soft rate coil for your application or mine. I use Kore coils which have a stiff rate but works well with my camper.
Lastly a Hellwig swaybar will improve road manners.
For carrying a hardsided cabover I think the Torklifts are the best.
Join http://www.cumminsforum.com/ for much more Ram specific information.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior