Looking for Jeep TJ rear foot well storage...

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
... for my 2006 wrangler TJ...These fit but are a bit small; https://www.amazon.com/22-24145-WEA...09908844&sr=1-1&keywords=24145+equipment+case
41hCvmDjBBL._AC_UL115_.jpg

13.5x11.5x6" external dims.
Harbor freight has a nearly identical one (cheaper with a coupon).
...these are too big (front seat hits badly/will not lock down); https://www.harborfreight.com/watertight-protective-case-large-63927.html
63927_W1.jpg

16 1/4" x 12 7/8 x 6 11/16" approx. external dims.

...I hear that a grenade box fits well Even though the 19" measurement seems much too large; dims 19"L x 12"W x 6"H but have been unable to locate one;
https://www.majorsurplus.com/metal-grenade-box.html
08-1161000000.png

Thanx, in advance...

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Superduty

Adventurer
Where exactly are you planning on putting these? Rear foot well? The recessed spot just behind the driver and passenger seat tracks? I assume your back seat is removed? Assuming my definition of footwell is correct, on the passenger side rear footwell I have that space occupied by a Scepter MWC. My driver's side isn't really being occupied by much, so I will be following this thread for ideas.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Yes, the ~ 6" deep (below the rear deck) recessed areas just behind the front seats...
The rear seat and belts were removed as about the second prep step... a front seat lift was installed to help remedy the poor German (I assume) low rider seats/design influence.
The 10 L Scepter water carriers will likely be placed on/in fabricated holders over the rear wheel wells (worked very well on the old CJs but will need a bit more of fab on the TJ).
... the rolled snatch strap, the jumper cables and 2 shackles fit behind the drivers seat in the smaller, 13.5x11.5x6" black box, above. So far I have found that that about my only choice for storage on the passenger side (need more room than the 13.5x11.5x6" box) will likely be two 7.62/30 cal. ammo cans on their sides (one for the compressor and likely one for tools). I will probably install footman loops and use nylon straps to secure the boxes (in case of flop/roll). NOTE; the box probably will not fit without installing a seat lift first. (edit) I noticed when taking the pics that the seat is sitting on the top of the closed box so I will be adding at least another 1/4" of lift to the seat

footwell box 33 DSCF0293.jpg

TJ strap storage 50 croppedDSCF0294.jpg

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=424475&d=1510167765&thumb=1

Sorry! for some reason I cannot post pics right now... (edit works now)

I need to find room for spare fluids and things like tire plugs, stop leak, epoxy putty etc...
I will likely strap the Svensaw (and the, hard to pack, extendable hot dog forks) either below the hard top over a rear fender well or alongside the driver's seat below the door along with the USGI Matt-ax (The trifold E-tool in wedged under the back part of the drivers seat).
I did find a quite nice square piece of rubber/carpet/mat from a Cadillac, at the local salvage yard, that almost exactly fits the rear cargo area (much higher quality than the OEM carpet with seat/belt mounting holes).
I need to check out the newer Grand Cherokees in the salvage yard for jack bar extension rack/clips, to use in place of the (missing) Velcro secured bag the came in TJs.
...so far, I am amazed at how much less stowage space the TJ has compared to the old CJs and YJs.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

jgaz

Adventurer
In my LJ I use a large tool roll on the drivers side along with a Husky tool bag that holds some addition tools and my Misc repair goodies. The tool bag is too tall for the space but if you don’t place longer tools on end in the pockets the top will kinda “crush” over to fit as required.

On the passenger side foot well I store a Duluth Trading jumper cable bag with cables, tow strap, shackles, etc. I keep this bag here due to the fact that it is more out of sight at hiking trail heads where my Jeep spends a lot of time. It is secured by a carabiner that clips to salvaged seat belt anchor loop anchored by a seat mounting bolt.

My tri fold Etool is also wedged under the drivers seat.

I am not near my Jeep right now so I can’t take a picture but I’ll post a link to a thread that I posted elsewhere that will explain a tie down modification I did at the rear that replaces the sad, little loops that the factory provides.
https://offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4532

I like your idea of the 10L MWC over the wheel wells. I’m going to have to look at that. I’d be interested to see what you come up with.

Last edited:

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Threw a mockup of the MWC shelf together to illustrate the basic idea; I may not use the Blitz Gerry can holder (from the old CJ) but may bend up something from Lexan instead...
(edit apparently the pic stopped showing... here is a link.
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=424574&thumb=1&d=1510241497

MWC carrier mockup 33 DSCF0295.jpg

(edit) ...Odd this is the only board that I have problems uploading/displaying pics on....
(Edit) when I place it in the final location I will position the holder far enough away from the roll bar to let me use a 20 liter MWC as an option. I found on the CJ that the 10 liter cans would ride pretty well without a strap, when running with the top on but when using a 20 liter can I will run a strap up over the can and through the handle from the bottom and, perhaps, one around the handle and upper part of the roll bar
Enjoy!

Last edited:

jgaz

Adventurer
Happy Joe,
When I posted the link in post above I didn't realize that a person couldn't see the picture without joining the forum.

Here is a picture of the tie down track I installed to replace the factory tie down loops. I used the two original threaded inserts in the tub to secure my track. I countersunk the fasteners I installed but I'm not sure it was worth the effort.
2F435D3E-A477-4E6E-805C-C47C577852F7.jpg

Certainly not an earth shattering modification but it does make it easier to tie down cargo

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Thanx!
I do need to remember to remove those child safety seat sheet metal tie downs in back (really poor design, IMO).

Enjoy!

jgaz

Adventurer
The track is nothing fancy as I'm sure you know. I just grabbed a length from Home Depot for my installation.

Question: In your footwell picture, did you use the hard case you listed from Amazon or the Harbor Freight unit?

Also, if you are going to lift the seat, raise it at least an inch. I'm 6' 2” and really like the height increase 1” made.

If you want to do a test sit you can try my “natural composite” (wood) test blocks, PM me your address. I used these as a test before making a set out of aluminum

Last edited:

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Question: In your footwell picture, did you use the hard case you listed from Amazon or the Harbor Freight unit?

Also, if you are going to lift the seat, raise it at least an inch. I'm 6' 2” and really like the height increase 1” made.

If you want to do a test sit you can try my “natural composite” (wood) test blocks, PM me your address. I used these as a test before making a set out of aluminum

Sorry for not getting back sooner;
The box pictured is from Amazon however it looks identical to the Harbor Freight 13.5" x 11.5" x 6" case (the Harbor Freight case just has thin metal protectors around the padlock holes).
Rather than mess around I just spent $30 for a commercial plastic spacer seat lift (don't remember who made/sold it) ... (Thanx! for the offer of trial parts though).
The commercial spacers (look like glass filled nylon) measure 1 1/4 high by a bit over 2" in diameter and really should be spaced upward by another 1/4" (I'll use Lexan and a hole saw) to avoid putting pressure on (bending) the top of the case, when every thing is in place (box closed and seat down).

Enjoy!

(Edit) I pulled a 2 1/8" hole saw out of the tool box and made 4 quarter inch thick lexan/polycarbonate washers (very good fit to the diameter of the commercial spacers)... Just need to drill the center holes out and stick them in the Jeep.

Note; I just found out that Harbor freight has the cases on sale with a coupon;
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/188213-Harbor-Freight-quot-Pelican-quot-knock-offs

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles