M116A2 build

rraulston7

So I purchased an M116A2 trailer and thought it would be a good basis for an overland rig. I think it is and Ill tell you why. Overbuilt is an under statement. I began by disassembling and sand blasting the frame and steel top. After a brief education on the breaking system, I removed it. All of it. Weight savings were over 100 Lbs., probably 150.

Attachments

• M116A2-2.jpg
    M116A2-2.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 110
  • M116A2-1.jpg
    M116A2-1.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 104
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 100

rraulston7

Once it was cleaned up, I figured out a way to replace the removed military hitch system. I also welded on a jack. Notice the placard indicating 740 pounds. My guess is now were at 600 or so. When I lift my jeep, I will be able to adjust the hitch and keep the trailer level...

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 84
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 86
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 80

rraulston7

So after everything was individually painted, I reassembled it with all new hardware. That's about $160 worth of paint and primer. Ill address the wheels later. It sucks they are 8-lug. Notice I started on the steel frame....

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 77
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 76

rraulston7

Well, I have had a big case of "paralysis by analysis". Things are starting to add up in weight. And, I was never happy with the 74 inch width. So off with the top and a trip to the metal store... Lots of expensive 6061-T6. .100 floor, the square is 1.5x1.5x1/8. Its beyond sturdy now and once I skin it, it will be structurally sound. One interesting note. I needed a wheel bearing set as one hub was discolored. The trailer store indicated it was a 9K axel. I found no markings on the tube, the he seemed to know exactly what it was. Weight? Who knows. The top was heavy gauge steel. I bet there went a good 200 pounds. Now it feels more in proportion. Ill have it skinned in a week or so. Most of the ideas here came from other posters who took the time to post! I figured if they did, I would too....

Attachments

• 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 82
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 2111.jpg
    2111.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 77
  • trailer1.jpg
    trailer1.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 82

DMax82

Looking great! I have a M116a3 and am not sure what to do with it. Have considered mounting a utility truck bed.

rraulston7

No updates. I had to get through Xmas. Now that's over, I will be attaching the skin. I plan on using 6061-T6. I will either polish it or paint it. The latter is complicated. I found side and top opening doors. Ill add the link. As soon as I skin it , I will add more pics. I am trying to decide if I want to run a standard ball hitch, or the military type. I designed this to have options with the hitch.....

http://www.protoolboxes.com/images/Manuals/ATBCatalog.pdf The doors are about 3/4 of the way down the page....rr

rraulston7

So here we go. Purchased some .050 50 series Al for the skin. I choked. .050 is too thin, but I live so far away from the Steel store, I'm stuck with it. My structure is so strong it wont matter, but I was hoping the skin would add to the structure. It will, but not as much as I thought. The 1.5 inch insulation is bonus material. It will keep the skin from noisily flexing and add insulation simultaneously. I will get it riveted on with the Huck fasteners then the front then sides.

Attachments

• 113.jpg
    113.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 114.jpg
    114.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 45
  • 115.jpg
    115.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 49

rraulston7

I swear I posted an update and it didn't show up. Oh well, More progress...

Attachments

• 32.jpg
    32.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 31.jpg
    31.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 56

rraulston7

Good progress this weekend.....All that's left is to insulate the rest of the interior, Interior siding, Fenders and rear door. A side door will follow. Then shopping begins for a RTT. I'm estimating weight at around 600 lbs. Ill take it to a scale soon.

Attachments

• 50.jpg
    50.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 44
  • 51.jpg
    51.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 43

rraulston7

Its been awhile, but I finished. One of the major changes is I traded the Rubicon in for the Tacoma. Twice the tow rating and putting stuff in the bed is nice. My Climateright Central air/heat unit is in enroute and that will make the wife happy. This has been a fun project!!

Attachments

• Taco1.jpg
    Taco1.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 66
  • Taco2.jpg
    Taco2.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 68
  • Taco4.jpg
    Taco4.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 62

m.reed.1

Wildebeest_Overland
Its been awhile, but I finished. One of the major changes is I traded the Rubicon in for the Tacoma. Twice the tow rating and putting stuff in the bed is nice. My Climateright Central air/heat unit is in enroute and that will make the wife happy. This has been a fun project!!

Did you have to narrow the wheelbase of the trailer for the tacoma? I have been looking for a M116 near sacramento, but afraid that the wheelbase is going to be too wide.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles