Wind Proof Jacket for -20 conditions

Dan8383

Hi,

I was looking at some down jackets for a coming trip to Murmansk which can have -20 days or lower and can be quite windy.
Then I found a NZ maker of jackets which look quite well made but they are more waterproof and wind proof designed for outback hunting in cold wet conditions. My understanding is their type of material they use is breathable but wind proof and water proof.

If I layer up correctly and get one of these jackets instead of a down jacket would I be just as warm as if I was using a down jacket?
Here's a example I have attached a photo.
RWC-Wapiti-Coat-Tussock-Green-799x1024.jpg
Thanks,

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Welcome to the forum.

Looks like a nice shell ---- albeit a pricey one.
Pick your layers well and you should be able to make it work. Kiwis know cold weather ---- maybe pair it with some of their wool...

Dan8383

Thanks,

I asked a person on TripAdvisor from Russia and he reckons it wouldn't be good enough for artic winter even with some good layering. I thought with good enough layering and this jacket to cover and block wind and rain then it would work fairly well with keeping the wind oit but letting sweat out.

Yeah it is fairly pricey, but it is NZ made so I guess I would pay a bit extra for it and should last me a life time.

Welcome to the forum.

Looks like a nice shell ---- albeit a pricey one.
Pick your layers well and you should be able to make it work. Kiwis know cold weather ---- maybe pair it with some of their wool...

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I've got a Superior from Duluth: https://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens/mens-outerwear/mens-work-jackets/93226.aspx
Mine is an older design and is rated to colder temps. It has an additional very thin layer of some sort of tech fabric they make Olympic ski clothing from. I've camped in zero degree weather with just a shirt and sweater under.

They also have their Alaska Hardgear line: https://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens/mens-outerwear/mens-work-jackets/32225.aspx
I've never seen this coat but Duluth is easy to deal with. Their gear is mostly designed for fat guys though and sometimes is funny about fitting ---- that's the only thing I don't like about them.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Do you know where Duluth is made hilldweller?
Thanks for the suggestions.
Different items in different places.
It's a rare thing these days to find an affordable jacket that isn't made in Asia.

I'll take a look at the label on my Superior jacket when I get home. That thing's been keeping me toasty for about a decade now.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
What activities are you going to be doing in that weather? Will you be stationary or mobile? Will you be working continuously or from time to time? Are you going to be physically working all the time or not? I ask because the wrong coat can become more uncomfortable depending on activity or lack of. Plus, a wrong jacket that doesn't "breath" or vent may cause condensation to get trapped that will quickly chill and may cause comfort issues and in the most extreme circumstances may be life threading.
Unfortunately, I can't recommend a specific brand due to not knowing your work/activity. But, living, playing and working in the Rockies (Colorado) and having access to high tech textile products and gear through work and our business I've learned the hard (and cold way) of what works and what doesn't. Good luck and be safe in that weather.

Dan8383

I'll be going to see the northern lights. I'll probably be doing a lot of walking but no actual physically working just walking.
I understand what you mean and I do sweat a lot as I am a fast walker and I notice the NZ gear is supposed to be breathable.

pluton

Adventurer
Seems like just about any solution for -20ºF that is relatively lightweight is going to involve goose down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles