what is best GPS navigation unit for 12 month roadtrip from US to South America?

outwestbound

Observer
Hello. I travel in the US fulltime in a fifthwheel travel trailer and use my iPhone 6 + my 2011 F350 Lariat's in-dash navigation, which is a no brainer.

I bought a small class C recreational vehicle, that has no navigation, for a year long vehicular trip in South America. I'm going everywhere except 3 countries. I'm looking for a good navigation unit for the vehicle. I don't think my iPhone 6 or a 5 year old iPad will be particularly useful on this trip.

I've used Garmin's basecamp software with a color screen, Garmin Oregon 550t hand held unit for backpacking trips that's about 7 years old. It's been years, but I recall downloading hikes from numerous sites and buying Garmin's higher resolution topography maps and installing them. IF Garmin makes a vehicle navigation unit that happens to work, in some practical way, with my hand held unit, that's great. But if Garmin isn't any good for vehicle navigation, then I'll use the Garmin Oregon 550t handheld independently from the vehicle navigation unit, if I use it at all. I expect to do some hiking, so I'll probably use the 550t.

Any thoughts on a good GPS navigation unit? The cell reception down there is very spotty, weak and unreliable. I don't think any platform that requires connectivity to steam could be of much use. I ASSUME Garmin sells maps and/or that there are a number of open source maps available for Central and South America.

The last twist is that it would be great of the unit was "RV" friendly, so I could use it in my fifth wheel in the US. These "RV" units identify "low bridges", which is extremely useful when you're 13'9" like my rig is. If I have to buy a dedicated unit for South America, I'll decide that based on the economics.

Thoughts on good units for this trip are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Parras

In Mexico any smartphone with google maps is good, I used android based navigation apps in the past, but google maps is faster and more updated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles