Considering a 2005 Tahoe Z71.

03tahoe

Not my Tahoe but this is what it looks like. You could even get luck and find some like this with the steering wheel controls and the front bench.
C2011.jpg

mccustomize

Explorer
Yup, I believe that all GMT800 series ('00-'06) trucks/SUVs had an option for a front bench. It's the one with the fold down center console. I'll get a picture if you want proof, haha. You could also get a front bench in many of the GMT900 ('07-'13) trucks/SUVs. The thing with the GMT900 SUVs was that the center seat in the front bench was useless with the new dash design that stuck out rather than being more flat across like in the GMT800 and GMT400 series. We looked at a GMT900 ('08) Tahoe with the front bench before finding the GMT800 ('03) Tahoe that we have now. What I've never found, but would like to know about, is if you could get a GMT900 Avalanche with a front bench and if so would it have the truck or the SUV dash? The GMT900 truck (Silverado/Sierra) dash was flat across so the middle seat was usable.

Good luck on the hunt for a front bench!

That's not a bench seat by any means, they are still individual bucket seats, the console is a separate seat that bolts in between the two, the only two options were thcenter jump seat w/ flip up console, of the full length center console with captains chairs on Tahoe's and Suburbans

kidphc

I love the bench option. Almost all the fleet and ls 2500's come with the bench. Four bolts and the center seats come out easily, you can replace it with an old police console for you year. Which you can use to mount, scanner, displays etc.

Keep in mind the gmt800's the center row benches do not recline, if that is a need then you want the captain chairs in the second row. I have them and love them until I lower the seat to have extra payload space, then there is a channel between the seats and not a completely flat floor. Kids love the walk through though.

As far as the gmt900's they do come with a bench option. Case in point this one at chicago motors, which specializes in used police cars.
e153b628afb45b1746c3607092b9e7f007d22b13.jpg

**EDIT for spelling error

Last edited:

mnutz

Observer
Well that 05 Tahoe LT was a bust. Airbag light and TPMS were both on, and they refused to move off the $6500 price. It's now on their lot at $9300. Yeah that's right, $9300.

I found another one that I'll look at tomorrow. Not sure how I missed it before, it's only a half hour away. 2004 LS with the 5.3 and 3.73 rear. 175k. Not a speck of rust anywhere, looks super clean inside and out. White with tan cloth. Front and 2nd row benches. They're asking $6300 but say it's a 90 day unit and it's got to go this week.

I'm gonna exhaust all my options locally before I do a fly and drive.

mnutz

Observer
I have looked at some 800 series suburbans now too, and I just don't think we need the space. Most camping trips are just 4 of us.

We're also looking at getting a small camper to pull, maybe a pop-up.

rayra

Expedition Leader
You'd do better to get the Sub and have the space for any future need. And an 8-man two- or three-room ground tent costs well under $300. And a Sub is no longer than a standard cab longbed pickup.

And the highway ride in the Sub is pretty plush. But so is the Tahoe's really. And both will tow fine.

Should't be difficult to retrofit a same model range pickup bench / fold-up console into a Sub or Tahoe, either. You're looking at 10-12yr-old vehicle, why hesitate to modify it any way you want to?

mnutz

Observer
We're fully covered on the tents. We've both been tent camping for years, since before we were married. My wife and I both did a lot of backpacking, winter camping, mountain climbing, technical climbing, etc. As we've gotten older we continued to primitive camp with the kids, but have quit climbing.

We're contemplating going on the road long term. Our house is paid for so we've got a home base.

This has been in the discussion phase for some time now, and just this week we've changed it up to serious talk.

We would head out in spring 2019 when our oldest graduates. The other 2 kids will be 9 and 3 then.

We would be doing this on a very tight budget. So I guess at this point I'm now looking for the most budget friendly option for long distance towing a 25' travel trailer.

Crazy how a plan comes together.

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
well if you plan to tow a 25' trailer continuously you'll want a 3/4-ton /2500 series Suburban with the 4L80-E trans. The 1/2ton / 1500 series vehicles use the weaker 4L60-E and they don't seem to handle regular or heavy towing very well.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
We're fully covered on the tents. We've both been tent camping for years, since before we were married. My wife and I both did a lot of backpacking, winter camping, mountain climbing, technical climbing, etc. As we've gotten older we continued to primitive camp with the kids, but have quit climbing.

We're contemplating going on the road long term. Our house is paid for so we've got a home base.

This has been in the discussion phase for some time now, and just this week we've changed it up to serious talk.

We would head out in spring 2019 when our oldest graduates. The other 2 kids will be 9 and 3 then.

We would be doing this on a very tight budget. So I guess at this point I'm now looking for the most budget friendly option for long distance towing a 25' travel trailer.

The little voice in the back of your head keeps whispering....buy an Airstream!

Bayou Boy

Adventurer

If you aren't heading out until spring of 2019 then save up for a year and look for something in the $12-15k range rather than the $6k range. A $40,000 SUV that you are buying now for $6000 is going to be fairly close to it's last leg, frankly.

$12-15k gets you something at or less than 100k miles significantly newer than what you are looking at now. I just put my wife's 2010 Expedition Limited into NADA with 89,000 miles and it spit out an average trade value of $10,500 and clean retail of $16,000. I would take off tomorrow in that truck headed anywhere in North America. A $6000 Tahoe, not so much. Not without $4000 in the bank just in case.

08Sierra

If you aren't heading out until spring of 2019 then save up for a year and look for something in the $12-15k range rather than the $6k range. A $40,000 SUV that you are buying now for $6000 is going to be fairly close to it's last leg, frankly.

$12-15k gets you something at or less than 100k miles significantly newer than what you are looking at now. I just put my wife's 2010 Expedition Limited into NADA with 89,000 miles and it spit out an average trade value of $10,500 and clean retail of $16,000. I would take off tomorrow in that truck headed anywhere in North America. A $6000 Tahoe, not so much. Not without $4000 in the bank just in case.

Well we can see you've been plagued by Fords in your lifetime :bike_rider:

There is 2 yukons in my fleet. 02 Denali, and an 05 Yukon cloth model SLE. I've have 2 more in the past and plan on replacing the Denali with a 3/4 ton suburban. Parts are cheap, they are available pretty much anywhere, and its a very easy platform to work on. Why would he spend more money on the 07-13 gen when they are plagued with AFM issues. I've gone cross country in a $4000 tahoe for work and its served me well on the road for over 2 years as my primary vehicle. People are too scared to turn a wrench might be more in line with your advice

Last edited:

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Well we can see you've been plagued by Fords in your lifetime :bike_rider:

There is 2 yukons in my fleet. 02 Denali, and an 05 Yukon cloth model SLE. I've have 2 more in the past and plan on replacing the Denali with a 3/4 ton suburban. Parts are cheap, they are available pretty much anywhere, and its a very easy platform to work on. Why would he spend more money on the 07-13 gen when they are plagued with AFM issues. I've gone cross country in a $4000 tahoe for work and its served me well on the road for over 2 years as my primary vehicle. People are too scared to turn a wrench might be more in line with your advice

I turn wrenches plenty. In my garage is a 78 CJ7 with fuel injection, Air lockers, Tcase swap with 4:1 low range, etc. I just don't want to be doing it with my family in the truck on the road. Maybe you do. Have fun with that. I was simply making a suggestion that he could save a little money and purchase a newer more reliable vehicle since his target use date is about 18 months away. I'm not sure how you twisted that into a reluctance to turn a wrench. haha

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader

We just took a 6k mile road trip in our $5k SUV, aside from gas it didn't cost us a dime. But I see that you drive a Ford, I would definitely be worried if I were driving a $5k Ford....

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Apparently I need to update my signature. I've driven a 2014 Ram 3500 Cummins since 2014, haha.

I'm still trying to figure out how my suggestion that since his planned time to use this isn't for over a year to save a little more money and get a slightly newer vehicle with less mileage is a bad idea?! How does that not make sense?

You guys' personal attacks are lame. Get a life.

Last edited:

ExplorerTom

Explorer
. But I see that you drive a Ford, I would definitely be worried if I were driving a $5k Ford....

I've driven my $4k Ford on several round trips from: Colorado to Florida, Colorado to Louisiana, Colorado to Wisconsin, Colorado to Wyoming (taking 4 days worth of back roads) and Colorado to Kentucky. Plus served as a daily driver. 48k miles in total that I've put on it. It's got more than twice the miles on it than any Chevy product I've ever owned.

Proper prior maintenance is key.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94