Any anti-hydroplaning tires also good on ice?

Haraald

Observer
I'm struggling to figure out what kind of winter tire strategy I should have for the PNW / BC winter. I do a lot of highway driving so obviously hydroplaning-resistance is a priority, but that seems to always come at the expense of good ice performance, and I do spend several weekends in the mountains. Safety is the priority. Should I just get a hydroplaning tire and carry chains? Or get an ice tire and just drive slow in heavy rain? Or a studded tire? I have a highlander hybrid converted to a camper, so it's at max payload.

sargeek

Adventurer
Studded tires are useless unless you drive on hard pack snow or ice all the time. I do not understand everyone fascination with 50 year old technology. In wet and dry conditions you will add considerable lenght to your breaking distances and reduce conering ability. In your case you want to reduce you overall safety for potentially a couple trips to the mountains - not worth it.

My other question is why do you think winter tires are not sutible wet weather tires? Rain, freezing rain, sleet slush are what winter tires are made for. They generally have deep groves to move water, many have the rain tire directional tread the moves water away from the tire, smaller sipes for increased traction. A true winter tire performs better at temperatures under 45.

Can’t let loose winter tires.

rkj__

Adventurer
Why do you think winter / ice tires have poor hydroplaning resistance? I've literally never read that before.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Betarocker

Adventurer
Every tire is susceptible to hydroplaning above 60km/h if the water is deeper than the tread.

A true winter tire is going to be the best choice for the varying conditions of the Pacific Northwest.

I'd use true winters if they made them in a size that works on my truck, but I'm limited to a M+S in the 37"-38" range.

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
The Hankook Winter I pike rw 11 is an awesome winter tire that can come studded or non studded. It does excelent in the water and snow.
We get a lot of snow in my part of the world. It makes large berms that trap the water on the road on the sunny days. I am going into my third winter on a set of them studded on my tacoma. Hands down the way to go.

If you want to spend a bit more money, the Nokian Winter tires studded or non studded are no doubt the best winter tires that you can buy. They are the folks that invented the winter tire. I run a set of the Haka 8s on my wifes rig in the winter and they are amazing. I have also used a set of the Nokian AT tires which are snow flake rated on a tacoma. Great tire for year round driving but I prefer the softer tread of the full on winter tires. It is like driving on velcrow. They just stick.

One final option to look into is the Cooper ATW. Based off the AT 3 it has a different tread pattern and a softer compound. It is non studded. It is a " winter rated AT tired" aka it has super soft grippy rubber, great tread blocks for the hydroplaning you are looking to avoid. But unlike most snow tires, it has a 50k mile tread wear warrenty. I would have a set on my truck right now if they had them in stock the one day I had the two hours to drive to the tire shop. I am currently running the cooper AT3 and will swap to the hankook winter tire in a bit. We have gotten plenty of rain and its grip in the wet is impressive at highway speeds. We have also gotten a few big snow dumps. Its handling is impressive in the snow consindering it it is not a snow tire.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The water shedding treads focus on big water channels Though I think most modern M+S rated tires have lots of design with channeling in mind but they also focus on sipping which acts as a gripping affect. I would think any top rated respected name brand modern M+S rated tire would be pretty good. My only complaint are the really soft rubber compounds that wear really fast especially on a heavily packed rig.

Ive been enjoying the BFG tires the last few yrs their newer modern treads are pretty good and they seem to be using harder compounds that wear pretty good, but at the risk of cold temp snow traction possibly not as good as a softer compound.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I personally would rely more on common sense than a tire mfg's claim to resistance to hydroplaning, but we all know how uncommon sensible thinking can be these days.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
GY Duratrac's are my go to tire for the conditions you mention. I doubt they're as good as dedicated winter tires, but they're better than any M&S tire I've tried. (just a little wiggly for the 1st 5000 miles)

Haraald

Observer
Why do you think winter / ice tires have poor hydroplaning resistance? I've literally never read that before.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

I've read it in multiple places:

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/tires/best-and-worst-tires-in-all-weather-conditions

"Winter tires that have a tight tread pattern with lots of siping (slits) to bite into snow and squeegee on ice don't resist hydroplaning well. These include the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 winter tire, which started hydroplaning at a relatively slow 45 mph, and not much better, were other popular winter tires including the Michelin X-ICE XI3, Bridgestone Blizzak WS80, Dunlop Winter Maxx, and Continental WinterContact SI."

"Winter tires generally don't stop well on either dry or wet surfaces, often needing several more car lengths more than all-season tires. So it's no surprise the longest stopping tire on dry and wet roads was a winter tire, the Toyo Observe Gsi-5. Stops from 60 mph were 168 and 189 feet on dry and wet roads, respectively. That's reason enough to remove winter/snow tires once the snow stops falling."

The article supports a Firestone Winterforce for my needs I think

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I should also add that I'm in Ohio.

Snow tires are a no-go here. We have Michigan-ish heavy snow, that can quickly melt into heavy rain. Ford Superduties suffer a bit in braking with snow only tires. Which also sways my opinion towards GY DT'd or Cooper ST Maxx type tires.

I'm currently running STT's, but they are overkill for me (lately). I'll likely drop down to the Maxx's for my next tire, then Murphy will inevitably throw lots of mud in my future, and make wish for the STT's again.

kayadog

Adventurer
I’ve never had a problem running good all terrain tires with a relatively narrow tread all year round and I live in a snowy icy area in northeastern MA. Currently very happy with Hankook ATM’s. 4x4, traction control, and winter driving skill are your friends.

rkj__

Adventurer
I've read it in multiple places:

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/tires/best-and-worst-tires-in-all-weather-conditions

"Winter tires that have a tight tread pattern with lots of siping (slits) to bite into snow and squeegee on ice don't resist hydroplaning well. These include the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 winter tire, which started hydroplaning at a relatively slow 45 mph, and not much better, were other popular winter tires including the Michelin X-ICE XI3, Bridgestone Blizzak WS80, Dunlop Winter Maxx, and Continental WinterContact SI."

"Winter tires generally don't stop well on either dry or wet surfaces, often needing several more car lengths more than all-season tires. So it's no surprise the longest stopping tire on dry and wet roads was a winter tire, the Toyo Observe Gsi-5. Stops from 60 mph were 168 and 189 feet on dry and wet roads, respectively. That's reason enough to remove winter/snow tires once the snow stops falling."

The article supports a Firestone Winterforce for my needs I think

Very interesting, thank you for sharing the link.

I think one of the key issues with some popular snow tires is the lack of open circumferential grooves, like all season tires tend to have. Snow tires often have a more zig-zag type of tread pattern, which helps with forward propulsion and braking traction in snow, but potentially negatively affects hydroplaning resistance, if the tread pattern is too tight.

No circumferential grooves (Nokian):
10001010440021-Half.jpg

7 circumferential grooves (Firestone)
Winterforce_RTB.png

A word of caution on the WinterForce tire: it makes a fair bit of road noise on pavement. If you are used to mud tires, or other aggressive off road tires, you may think nothing of it, but if you are used to the low noise levels of passenger all season, or mild all terrain tires, you may be a little taken back by the noise.

For what it's worth, I have Yokohama Geolander A/T G015 on my truck right now. However, I have not tested them on ice, and have not tested them to their hydroplaning limit either. But, the are winter rated, have some siping, and are quiet on the highway.

Tread.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior