Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Big Bend National Park - Nov 2017

Quote Originally Posted by NoahGenda View Post
    Thanks for the writeup! We will be heading to Big Bend for about 5 days starting on the 28th or so. Hoping its pretty quiet midweek so we can get the good camping spots.
    The week of Thanksgiving is supposed to be one of their busiest of the year so hopefully next week will be quieter. I would recommend printing off the campsite request form and having several alternates picked ahead of time. The guys ahead of us in line took about 30 minutes to get situated and the Ranger really appreciated that we came prepared. We were in and out in under 5 minutes. She said that made her life much easier.
    1998 Stewart and Stevenson M1078
    2010 Nissan Titan Crew Cab 4x4
    2015 Nissan Titan Crew Cab Pro 4X
    http://overlandroad.life/

Quote Originally Posted by M1078 View Post
    We did get a lot of pin striping but it wasn't as bad as I initially thought. I had a pretty good coat of dust that protected it. Still there's some minor scratching in the clear coat. I bought this truck specifically for doing this so knew it had to be christened sometime.

We shot the whole thing with an iPhone 7+ mated to a DJI Osmo Mobile. Once we figured out the issue with the Osmo after the start everything seemed to work fine. I really need to figure out a way to mount it to the truck though as the wife was really tired of holding it for an hour (I know there's a joke in there but this is a family forum).

I have a GoPro Hero 3+ but have never been able to keep the batteries going long enough to do a video of this length. I've tried multiple batteries and it still dies about 20 minutes in.

I use Adobe Premier Pro for editing. It takes a while to get comfortable with it (I'm still not) but it's a good program. Here's a short clip I did from our last trip to Ireland - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9GHzZJJh8g
    That video was shot with the GoPro.
    Very nice response. Thanks for all that info. Glad you guys figured out what was wrong with the DJI Osmo Mobile. And yes, your wife did an awesome job holding that thing for that long.

I will look into that Adobe Premier Pro to see if I can have it. Too bad it is a monthly subscription service.
    2012 Infiniti QX56..., KING OF THE ROAD
    2008 Nissan Maxima SE..., CATCH ME IF YOU CAN

My Build/Maintenance/Modification thread...
    http://www.clubarmada.com/forums/sho...=24056&page=43 King of the Road
    http://my6thgen.org/f13/emiles-petitfreremaxima-17985/ Catch Me If You Can

Quote Originally Posted by M1078 View Post
    I would recommend printing off the campsite request form and having several alternates picked ahead of time.
    PERFECT! This is exactly the type of information I come here for, thanks!

Hi guys,
    I'm here. I just haven't had a chance to jump in and share yet. Until I have a chance to write a more complete report, here is a cool pic of my mountain-goat subie with the rooftop tent.

See the bigger version at imgur. https://imgur.com/BVYSpN2
    NM_Aguirre_Springs_Organ_White_Sands-E-M1MarkII-02538.jpg

You can also look at my evolving Flickr album https://www.flickr.com/photos/trailp...57689242322921

and here is a map of my whole trip.
    TX_NM_TRACK.jpg

I got a hat.
    IMG_3533.jpg
    Last edited by fike; 12-05-2017 at 04:26 PM.

On my last day at Big Bend, I did a reconnaissance of a few sites that I thought looked interesting. The first one I went to was Buenos Aries along the West River Road. It's about four miles from Ross Canyon Scenic drive. The road was pretty easy for the Subie, though there was some deep sand and several creek beds that would be impossible for a Subaru if it rained. Otherwise there were some steep rutted spots and rocky, dry riverbeds. The Subio handled the road better than my nerves.

I give it three thumbs up.

Here is a pic of a very-easy sandy part of road...it is a nice scenic area.
    Big_Bend_TX_Day6_Chisos_Basin-E-M1MarkII-02002.jpg

Here is a pic of the campsite view from a bluff overlooking the cottonwood of the Rio Grande canyon.
    Big_Bend_TX_Day6_Chisos_Basin-E-M1MarkII-01994.jpg

This pic of the River Road West doesn't give you much sense of the ruggedness. A two-wheel drive vehicle would not make it down this road, regardless of the clearance.
    Big_Bend_TX_Day6_Chisos_Basin-E-M1MarkII-02000.jpg
    Last edited by fike; 12-05-2017 at 06:02 PM.

Default Pine Canyon Campsites

Another campsite that I checked out was Pine Canyon 1,2, and 3.

Pine Canyon 1 is fairly boring. It is at the bottom, along the intersection of Pine Canyon and Glenn Springs roads. It has some wide vistas across the valley and would be easy for a normal car to get to. I didn't take any pics.

Before you reach Pine Canyon 2, there is a difficult spot that was okay for Subie, but would not work for a 2-wheel drive vehicle or a lower AWD vehicle. Getting up with a sube required picking a good line, getting a little bit of momentum and letting it's electronic traction control kick in. It would be easy in most four-wheel drive trucks. I took a pic, but as all of you (undoubtedly) know, taking pics of rough roads never captures the difficulty of the terrain. There were several ruts that lifted at least one of Subie's tires. The ruts were deep enough to scrape bottom of 8.5" of clearance (as much as a grand cherokee, by the way). The little segment was steep and probably gained ten feet of vertical in a short space (I have no idea how long, but it was steep).

Big_Bend_TX_Day2-E-M1MarkII-00561-crop-small.jpg

Pine Canyon 2 is nice, but the drive to Pine Canyon 3 is trivial. There aren't ANY challenging spots between Pine Canyon 2 and 3, so if you get up the little steep spot, go to #3. Here are a few shots that give you an idea of the cozy shelter of the canyon at 4,100' above sea-level.

Four thumbs up for site 3.

In this first shot, you are heading up to the left of that small mound in the center foreground.
    2047_a_BIG_BEND_TX_DAY7_TO_ABILENE-E-M1MARKII-02089 Panorama-small.jpg

In this second shot, you are going through a narrower part of the canyon.
    2046_a_BIG_BEND_TX_DAY7_TO_ABILENE-E-M1MARKII-02107 Panorama-small.jpg

In this final shot, you are deeper into the canyon. This view is from Campsite #3 as the canyon opened up a little bit..
    1941_a_BIG_BEND_TX_DAY7_TO_ABILENE-E-M1MARKII-02082 Panorama-small.jpg

I didn't go into campsite 4+, so I don't have info about the road. Actually, because I was alone, I walked from campsite 2 to campsite 3, and I was tired of walking. I felt really stupid when I found the road to #3 to be so gentle and easy. That first little challenging spot functions to keep out anyone except those with a rugged vehicle.
    Last edited by fike; 12-05-2017 at 08:43 PM.

Default A few shots of our campsites

Here are a couple shots of our campsites.

Here is the sunset at Glenn Springs
    Big_Bend_TX_Day1-E-M1MarkII-00407.jpg

Here is the sunrise at Grapevine Hill
    Big_Bend_TX_Day3_Cottonwood-E-M1MarkII-00709.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by fike View Post
    Before you reach Pine Canyon 2, there is a difficult spot that was okay for Subie, but would not work for a 2-wheel drive vehicle or a lower AWD vehicle. Getting up with a sube required picking a good line, getting a little bit of momentum and letting it's electronic traction control kick in. It would be easy in most four-wheel drive trucks. I took a pic, but as all of you (undoubtedly) know, taking pics of rough roads never captures the difficulty of the terrain. There were several ruts that lifted at least one of Subie's tires. The ruts were deep enough to scrape bottom of 8.5" of clearance (as much as a grand cherokee, by the way). The little segment was steep and probably gained ten feet of vertical in a short space (I have no idea how long, but it was steep).

Big_Bend_TX_Day2-E-M1MarkII-00561-crop-small.jpg
    PC4 is the best campsite we found in the entire park, its absolutely MAGIC!

Also you could totally do that road in a 2WD I believe, I drove about 200+ miles in the park and never had to engage 4WD. Im in a T100 with no fancy lockers or anything either. Its bumpy but passable.

I did Black Gap solo in October in a 2012 Tacoma with a FWC on back. They had a fair amount of rain the weeks before so there were some significant washouts that required building up the road a bit. At the gap, the drop off was pretty big so spent a bit of time building up a ramp but got through fine.

That whole park is truly amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by kmacafee View Post
    I did Black Gap solo in October in a 2012 Tacoma with a FWC on back. They had a fair amount of rain the weeks before so there were some significant washouts that required building up the road a bit. At the gap, the drop off was pretty big so spent a bit of time building up a ramp but got through fine.

That whole park is truly amazing.
    Thanks for doing the work. I’m guessing that saved me from doing it
    Last edited by M1078; 12-06-2017 at 01:30 AM.
    1998 Stewart and Stevenson M1078
    2010 Nissan Titan Crew Cab 4x4
    2015 Nissan Titan Crew Cab Pro 4X
    http://overlandroad.life/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast