Looking to build my first rig

Leibbrand

Adventurer
buy a taco or a runner, year depends on the amount of cash you have and how big you want.

Buying an unsupported vehicle takes a very long time to build up and is more expensive as it's either custom or new. Not much used parts from people unbuilding/selling thiers to put on yours.

ttfjc

weekend wheeler
Buying an unsupported vehicle takes a very long time to build up and is more expensive as it's either custom or new. Not much used parts from people unbuilding/selling thiers to put on yours.

i'm wondering what exactly your referring to in this case...all Toyota are basically the same pieces but different configurations..

climblife

you guys are legends for all the advice. Lets narrow down to gx 470, 4runner and 100 series landcruiser... if Jlee didn't need a solid front axle then I doubt i do on my first rig.

What about lifting these trucks? id like to run some 35's if i can. 2 inch lifts look pretty stock to me but i know lots of guys swear by OME lifts..... I just want to go bigger for looks lol Big tires and small wheels :victory:

ttfjc

weekend wheeler
you guys are legends for all the advice. Lets narrow down to gx 470, 4runner and 100 series landcruiser... if Jlee didn't need a solid front axle then I doubt i do on my first rig.

What about lifting these trucks? id like to run some 35's if i can. 2 inch lifts look pretty stock to me but i know lots of guys swear by OME lifts..... I just want to go bigger for looks lol Big tires and small wheels :victory:

2 inch OME 33's and sliders on any of those three will get you well on your way. To do 35's RIGHT it gets expensive fast.

And something to keep in mind too that all of the vehicles you mention are AWD (if you find the V8 4R) so full sized spare is required when you upgrade too

also there's this for the hundys

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/newbie/newbieUZJ100.htm

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
No Toyota/Lexus will be a unique choice. If you have room I would suggest a car for a daily drive and an older SUV for adventures. Cost is a wash but the versatility is much higher and opens up the option to learn how to wrench and have something much more entertaining for the weekends. It's very handy having a back up vehicle and having one more dedicated to camping.

I would suggest a Montero, Trooper, VehiCross or Tundra/Tacoma regular cab standard bed.....or take your 20k and by a barely used Subaru Forester or a more used Outback XT and do it all....

ttfjc

weekend wheeler
No Toyota/Lexus will be a unique choice. If you have room I would suggest a car for a daily drive and an older SUV for adventures. Cost is a wash but the versatility is much higher and opens up the option to learn how to wrench and have something much more entertaining for the weekends. It's very handy having a back up vehicle and having one more dedicated to camping.

I would suggest a Montero, Trooper, VehiCross or Tundra/Tacoma regular cab standard bed.....or take your 20k and by a barely used Subaru Forester or a more used Outback XT and do it all....

ill see your outback and raise you a RAV4, even less exciting and less head gasket issues. At least suggest that he gets a stick shift Baja. those are stupid rare and expensive lately.

or take your 20k and by a barely used Subaru Forester or a more used Outback XT and do it all....until your stuck in the ditch, because subis dont have low range and dont have even a solid rear axel. dont get high centered when you pull off to camp, and your going to need to figure out which fuse to pull to disable the traction control

JLee

Adventurer

That's going to get expensive -- you can fit 35's on an 80 without too much work, but on a 4Runner/GX (unsure about 100) you're going to have to do some cutting. Your gearing will be way off, your braking will get worse, and you'll make everything work harder (steering, etc).

climblife

So Ive pretty much decided on the GX 470. so I'll go for 33" tires and as big of a lift as I can. I really only want to buy one lift kit so what should I get? icon looks interesting as well as OME... what is the tallest on the market? also will I have any issues putting a Roof top tent on? shouldn't be a problem right? any recommendations for wheel and tire sizing? I'd like the wheels to sit flush and the tires to poke slightly. i was thinking 16"...

JLee

Adventurer
So Ive pretty much decided on the GX 470. so I'll go for 33" tires and as big of a lift as I can. I really only want to buy one lift kit so what should I get? icon looks interesting as well as OME... what is the tallest on the market? also will I have any issues putting a Roof top tent on? shouldn't be a problem right? any recommendations for wheel and tire sizing? I'd like the wheels to sit flush and the tires to poke slightly. i was thinking 16"...

A tall lift plus a rooftop tent is a good way to roll your truck - you want your center of gravity as low as possible. Icon, Radflo, Fox, King all made high-end suspension. I have Ironman Foam Cell Pros on mine - they're a good mid-range option. 16" wheels will not clear the brakes on a GX - you need 17" or larger.

Join GXOR - there's tons of info here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/LexusGXOR/

Neosapian

Innate Outdoor Co
I recently purchased (in February) my first 4X4 Vehicle with it's primary focus being long distance remote off-road camping and travel. I'm coming from a modified twin turbo Audi A6 and also have a 2016 GTI. Deciding which truck to purchase is no easy task. Coming from posh leather interior and super smooth ride quality, it was difficult to shift my paradigm towards what's practical, versus what's "cool" or "comfortable".

With a $20k max purchase price, I researched long and hard, cross shopping 2nd Gen Tacoma, 3rd & 4th Gen 4runner, ~2008 Discovery LR3, Xterra, and Jeep JKU. I did not consider the GX470 because of its relatively excessive weight and an excessive amount of electronics that can be expensive to fix or perhaps a annoyance in the back country. Have you considered the pricing and breadth of the aftermarket parts eco system for the GX? It isn't compelling to for me, personally.

The 4th Gen 4runner Limited with the 4.7 V8 represents an excellent combination of highway ride comfort, affordability and simplicity with the same power and drivetrain as the GX. I found a 2008 4runner V8 Limited fully loaded with 119k miles for $17,200. $1200 below blue book. I picked it up in Chicago and took it for a 2000 mile test drive home to Bellingham, Washington. in the middle of February through some gnarly winter weather. Heated leather, full time AWD, IFS, and a minimal amount of unnecessary gadgetry. Zero regrets.

I do as much DIY wrenching and maintenance as possible, because I believe it is imperative to understand how to fix things if/when they break in the backcountry. It is strongly recommended you consider field-repairaility heavily before finalizing your decision.

If the GX470 fits your needs, you will be super happy. For me, there aren't enough compelling reasons to get a GX over a V8 4runner or a well-maintained Discovery LR3.

Cheers.

ttfjc

weekend wheeler
I recently purchased (in February) my first 4X4 Vehicle with it's primary focus being long distance remote off-road camping and travel. I'm coming from a modified twin turbo Audi A6 and also have a 2016 GTI. Deciding which truck to purchase is no easy task. Coming from posh leather interior and super smooth ride quality, it was difficult to shift my paradigm towards what's practical, versus what's "cool" or "comfortable".

With a $20k max purchase price, I researched long and hard, cross shopping 2nd Gen Tacoma, 3rd & 4th Gen 4runner, ~2008 Discovery LR3, Xterra, and Jeep JKU. I did not consider the GX470 because of its relatively excessive weight and an excessive amount of electronics that can be expensive to fix or perhaps a annoyance in the back country. Have you considered the pricing and breadth of the aftermarket parts eco system for the GX? It isn't compelling to for me, personally.

The 4th Gen 4runner Limited with the 4.7 V8 represents an excellent combination of highway ride comfort, affordability and simplicity with the same power and drivetrain as the GX. I found a 2008 4runner V8 Limited fully loaded with 119k miles for $17,200. $1200 below blue book. I picked it up in Chicago and took it for a 2000 mile test drive home to Bellingham, Washington. in the middle of February through some gnarly winter weather. Heated leather, full time AWD, IFS, and a minimal amount of unnecessary gadgetry. Zero regrets.

I do as much DIY wrenching and maintenance as possible, because I believe it is imperative to understand how to fix things if/when they break in the backcountry. It is strongly recommended you consider field-repairaility heavily before finalizing your decision.

If the GX470 fits your needs, you will be super happy. For me, there aren't enough compelling reasons to get a GX over a V8 4runner or a well-maintained Discovery LR3.

Cheers.

i'm sorry if this offends but you cannot be seriously bashing a GX470 for complicated electronics and then immediately suggest a Discovery LR3. :Wow1:i guess you did say "well maintained"

And in all seriousness the main reason to get a GX over the 4runner is that there the same vehicle. Your more likely to find a deal on the GX just for the simple fact that are alot more around and everyone wants the V8 4R. Sure there's more bumper options for the 4R but all the suspension is FJC/4 gen 4R/TACO parts.

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/d/lexus/6377333190.html

jsut found this $11k and 139k miles.. in like 2 minutes of looking. ill take that extra $6200 and buy a lift sliders, tires and change every fluid in the thing. its a private sale so i bet $10 cash buys it.

A tall lift plus a rooftop tent is a good way to roll your truck - you want your center of gravity as low as possible.
IMG_3135.jpg

I run a RTT on top of a OEM FJ cruiser rack and a high lift. 3 inches and 33's ..you feel it and its not ideal but your probably fine. I think the tippy problem is overstated a bit, yeah its a concern but i havent ever felt like i was limited by my tent, i just needed to keep that in mind. i also still have my sway bars

Last edited:

Neosapian

Innate Outdoor Co
i'm sorry if this offends but you cannot be seriously bashing a GX470 for complicated electronics and then immediately suggest a Discovery LR3. :Wow1:i guess you did say "well maintained"

And in all seriousness the main reason to get a GX over the 4runner is that there the same vehicle. Your more likely to find a deal on the GX just for the simple fact that are alot more around and everyone wants the V8 4R. Sure there's more bumper options for the 4R but all the suspension is FJC/4 gen 4R/TACO parts.

A tall lift plus a rooftop tent is a good way to roll your truck - you want your center of gravity as low as possible.
View attachment 424619

I run a RTT on top of a OEM FJ cruiser rack and a high lift. 3 inches and 33's ..you feel it and its not ideal but your probably fine. I think the tippy problem is overstated a bit, yeah its a concern but i havent ever felt like i was limited by my tent, i just needed to keep that in mind. i also still have my sway bars

I do not recall ever "bashing" the Lexus. But I do believe that if a Luxury brand vehicle (like a Lexus) were a top priority, a ~2008 Dicsovery LR3 is a nicer option at a convincingly low price. If a Practical off road vehicle with some amenaties is the top priority, a 4runner V8 is a nicer option at a convingly low price. returning to one of my arguments: I cannot easily change a water pump or alternator in the field on a Land Rover...But I can do that on a 4runner.

If i were looking to get a 4X4 luxury yacht, i would have picked up an LR3 with a warranty. Great vehicles with outatanding heritage and aftermarket support. They do not have the same repuation for dependability as Toyota, but they are a distinguihed choice for the light duty work the OP has outlined. But i digress.

If the T4R & GX are indeed the same vehicle, I'd be inclined to choose the lighter, simpler variant... Tough time convincing me that this is not a legitimate perspectve... Plus, things such as GVWR and Aftermarket parts selection are paramount to me.

Seems to me, to reach climbing & hiking locations out in the bush and general 4x4 camping,, 32's and a conservative lift or level with upgraded shocks is all the OP will need. Keep fuel range in mind when choosing a V8 truck. I got 9mpg out of my VVT-I V8 on parts of White Rim Trail with stock tires with a light load in 107 degree temps.

YMMV.

JLee

Adventurer

Cheers.

The vast majority of people taking GX's offroad have converted the rear airbags to coils (with suspension components identical to a 4th gen 4Runner, FYI). I'm at a loss as to what "excessive amount of electronics" and "unnecessary gadgetry" you could possibly be talking about - could you enlighten me? I'd also really like to know how the GX is more complicated than a V8 4Runner, especially since you bought the V8 Limited in order to get...basically...a GX driveline.

On the price topic, I paid $8,150 for my 2005 GX470 over a year ago. I have KDSS (not an option on the 4th gen 4Runners) and Lexus owner maintenance. I have a buddy who's on his way home right now with a 2006 Sport that he got for $10,200.

Mentioning an LR3 in the same category as a GX when you're talking reliability is simply laughable.

Last edited:

JLee

Adventurer
I do not recall ever "bashing" the Lexus. But I do believe that if a Luxury brand vehicle (like a Lexus) were a top priority, a ~2008 Dicsovery LR3 is a nicer option at a convincingly low price. If a Practical off road vehicle with some amenaties is the top priority, a 4runner V8 is a nicer option at a convingly low price. returning to one of my arguments: I cannot easily change a water pump or alternator in the field on a Land Rover...But I can do that on a 4runner.

If i were looking to get a 4X4 luxury yacht, i would have picked up an LR3 with a warranty. Great vehicles with outatanding heritage and aftermarket support. They do not have the same repuation for dependability as Toyota, but they are a distinguihed choice for the light duty work the OP has outlined. But i digress.

If the T4R & GX are indeed the same vehicle, I'd be inclined to choose the lighter, simpler variant... Tough time convincing me that this is not a legitimate perspectve... Plus, things such as GVWR and Aftermarket parts selection are paramount to me.

Seems to me, to reach climbing & hiking locations out in the bush and general 4x4 camping,, 32's and a conservative lift or level with upgraded shocks is all the OP will need. Keep fuel range in mind when choosing a V8 truck. I got 9mpg out of my VVT-I V8 on parts of White Rim Trail with stock tires with a light load in 107 degree temps.

YMMV.

Please note that I'm not talking down on 4Runners - they're great trucks. I have two comments:

1) claiming a 4Runner is nicer than a GX is just a little bit silly (and they're not much cheaper, if at all).
2) you bought the heaviest, most complicated 4th gen 4Runner that exists. If you want light and simple, you should be driving a V6 without full time AWD.

The GX's popularity has exploded - I get the impression you're one of those guys who looks at us with a confused expression when you run into us on the trails, but it'll be more and more common as time goes on and the word gets out. GXOR had a couple hundred members two years ago and it's over 3000 now. :)

Last edited:

ttfjc

weekend wheeler

Let me start over. Your not buying the Lexus for the leather seats, your buying the drivetrain. The same one in your 4R. Everyone wants the V8 4Runner but you buy the Lexus becuase its the same car with a nicer dress on. And no one knows that(YET) so the resale value on the 4R's are high and there are a ton ox GX's out there. See the CL ad above. Only 30K more miles, 3 model years older(not really a difference since Lexus just gets the new updates sooner then the toyotas do) and the OP would have the same DRIVETRAIN for $6200 less, and not to mention he could probaly find one local and not drive across the country.

The leather seats are just a bonus. And the fact that soccer moms always get them serviced at the dealership and hardly any have ever seen a puddle outside of the one in the starbucks parking lot.

8AF11C34-0B96-4829-8608-5AAF83E7ED6A.jpegFCDE1017-6630-4C03-A327-3FBF46D76E59.jpeg

The GVWR argument is pretty much non existant because the upper weight on the 4R is for your V8 version. So a difference of 200lbs is like one passenger of difference. Winches/bumpers/tires/full tank of gas and the difference is non existant

Per google
GX470: wheelbase : 109.8 width: 74
4 runner: wheelbase 109.8 width: 75
THEY ARE THE SAME FRAME! SAME TRUCK!!! How is the GX a land yacht compaired to the 4R

The aftermarket is there..but i guess you just cant buy the ARB for it? ITs all toyota.. all the same.. pretty sure you could even bolt on a FJC rear locker axle and now your really going places.

Does you 4r have the a-trac button? IDK im just curious

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94