Looking to build my first rig

Neosapian

Innate Outdoor Co
Here explemifies why I seldom post on messege boards. Member's who quite obiously fail to interpret words as they've been written, but instead respond emotionally with extreme owner's bias and brand prejudice. Because I think this thread could be useful to the OP and future firs time buyers I'll reitterate my position using different words that are less likely to hurt people's internet feelings.

There is nothing inherenty wrong with the GX. As i stated before, the OP will
Be happy with a 470. For my money, and for off road oriented builds, I do not see the appeal. My personal preference is a vehicle with only what I deem necessary ameneties, without any unnecessary weight or complication. For
My money, the V8 Runner represents Tacoma level reliabilty, with better brakes & larger fuel tank and higher payload, a Land Cruiser-derived drivetrain, with just enough on road interior comfort, at the most reasonable curb weight possible.

Lexus vehicles inhabit the luxury marketplace. I were to purchase a vehicle in the luxury sector it would not be a GX. I do believe there are good reasons for their current low resale value. They are overlooked and perhaps under-served by the 4x4 community in part because they were originally released into segment dominated by more exceptional 4x4 luxury vehicles that admittedly may not deserve the all of the attention.

I stand corrected on any false claims of technical data that might have caused irritation and bruised egos.

And to clarify once again... I never compared the GX and the LR3 in terms of reliability. But keep laughing. I forgive you. :)

Last edited:

JLee

Adventurer
Here explemifies why I seldom post on messege boards. Member's who quite obiously fail to interpret words as they've been written, but instead respond emotionally with extreme owner's bias and brand prejudice. Because I think this thread could be useful to the OP and future firs time buyers I'll reitterate my position using different words that are less likely to hurt people's internet feelings.

Be happy with a 470. For my money, and for off road oriented builds, I do not see the appeal. My personal preference is a vehicle with only what I deem necessary ameneties, without any unnecessary weight or complication. For
My money, the V8 Runner represents Tacoma level reliabilty, with better brakes & larger fuel tank and higher payload, a Land Cruiser-derived drivetrain, with just enough on road interior comfort, at the most reasonable curb weight possible.

Lexus vehicles inhabit the luxury marketplace. I were to purchase a vehicle in the luxury sector it would not be a GX. I do believe there are good reasons for their current low resale value. They are overlooked and perhaps under-served by the 4x4 community in part because they were originally released into segment dominated by more exceptional 4x4 luxury vehicles that admittedly may not deserve the all of the attention.

I stand corrected on any false claims of technical data that might have caused irritation and bruised egos.

And to clarify once again... I never compared the GX and the LR3 in terms of reliability. But keep laughing. I forgive you. :)

I'm still waiting to hear what the unnecessary complications are of a GX vs a 4Runner, notably because you bought the 4Runner that has the GX driveline in it.

Also, take a gander at the Landcruiser Prado. Look familiar? ;)

ttfjc

weekend wheeler

Your right, why pay 50% less for the same frame, same engine, same drivetrain, and hey guess what, we will throw in leather seats. Your telling to OP to go buy a more expensive, harder to find version of the exact same truck. Just with a differnt logo on the front.

Lexus anything is apples to oranges when compaired to a LR. Your perception is flawed. Simple supply and demand is the reason for the low resale. Everyone wants the V8 4R but no one knows about the Lexus and all the soccer moms are upgrading.

And dont let the land cruiser guys hear you say a 4R is a LC. Just sayin''

And again Jlee beat me to it...

I dont even own a lexus..

JLee

Adventurer
Your right, why pay 50% less for the same frame, same engine, same drivetrain, and hey guess what, we will throw in leather seats. Your telling to OP to go buy a more expensive, harder to find version of the exact same truck. Just with a differnt logo on the front.

Lexus anything is apples to oranges when compaired to a LR. Your perception is flawed. Simple supply and demand is the reason for the low resale. Everyone wants the V8 4R but no one knows about the Lexus and all the soccer moms are upgrading.

And dont let the land cruiser guys hear you say a 4R is a LC. Just sayin''

And again Jlee beat me to it...

I dont even own a lexus..

Don't forget more headroom! The GX has a higher roofline than the 4Runner. Two years ago, I'd buy the argument that the GX aftermarket is lacking (my options were limited in Jan 2015 when I bought my first GX). Today, not so much. There are multiple vendors offering skids, sliders, front bumpers, rear bumpers, roofracks, and as already discussed the suspension is the same as a 4Runner so the world is your oyster on that front.

The only thing I can think of that makes a GX more complicated is the air suspension....which is also available on Limited trim 4Runners. I have coil springs in mine. My bolt-on KDSS-fitting sliders and bolt-on rear bumper were delivered yesterday. :)

ttfjc

weekend wheeler
Don't forget more headroom! The GX has a higher roofline than the 4Runner. Two years ago, I'd buy the argument that the GX aftermarket is lacking (my options were limited in Jan 2015 when I bought my first GX). Today, not so much. There are multiple vendors offering skids, sliders, front bumpers, rear bumpers, roofracks, and as already discussed the suspension is the same as a 4Runner so the world is your oyster on that front.

The only thing I can think of that makes a GX more complicated is the air suspension....which is also available on Limited trim 4Runners. I have coil springs in mine. My bolt-on KDSS-fitting sliders and bolt-on rear bumper were delivered yesterday. :)

True story: gave my old rear coil springs to a Lexus guy in our local 4x4 club and thats all he needed to delete the rear airbags from his GX

JLee

Adventurer
True story: gave my old rear coil springs to a Lexus guy in our local 4x4 club and thats all he needed to delete the rear airbags from his GX

Ahh I almost forgot. Your earlier mention about the rear diff being possible is correct -- you can swap the locking differential in from a 4Runner or FJ (or swap for an entire 8.2" instead of the 8", if you want).

Neosapian

Innate Outdoor Co

And dont let the land cruiser guys hear you say a 4R is a LC. Just

Maybe more relevent is how "Land Cruiser derived drivetrain" can be interpreted as "A 4runner is a Land Cruiser". As for which logo is displayed on the front grill, well I wasnt going to go there, but I can tell you which logo looks most at home outside of a Nordstrom. So there's that. LoL. Well you started it! :)

Im not sure I paid 50% more for the Runner than I would have for a comparable GX. Possibly. As I stated, the aftermarket and community support was compelling and well worth the 'Yota tax / price premium, although I do admit that used Toyota truck prices are badly inflated in some parts of the country. Some times you do have to pay to play.

Now, if the GX has better final gear ratio or the more durable diff components of the Cruiser...There would then be a convincing technical reason for me to buy the GX.

The budgetary argument for the GX is one that i agree with. I could have gotten into an Xterra and had it fully equiped for less than a stock Runner. The same could be said for some other platforms. I had my reasons and so far they remain valid to me.

There are compromises baked into each truck.

Lots of stock vehicles can complete the rubicon. Not sure if that's a valid metric to justify a truck purchase but it is cool!

JLee

Adventurer
Maybe more relevent is how "Land Cruiser derived drivetrain" can be interpreted as "A 4runner is a Land Cruiser". As for which logo is displayed on the front grill, well I wasnt going to go there, but I can tell you which logo looks most at home outside of a Nordstrom. So there's that. LoL. Well you started it! :)

Im not sure I paid 50% more for the Runner than I would have for a comparable GX. Possibly. As I stated, the aftermarket and community support was compelling and well worth the 'Yota tax / price premium, although I do admit that used Toyota truck prices are badly inflated in some parts of the country. Some times you do have to pay to play.

Now, if the GX has better final gear ratio or the more durable diff components of the Cruiser...There would then be a convincing technical reason for me to buy the GX.

The budgetary argument for the GX is one that i agree with. I could have gotten into an Xterra and had it fully equiped for less than a stock Runner. The same could be said for some other platforms. I had my reasons and so far they remain valid to me.

There are compromises baked into each truck.

Lots of stock vehicles can complete the rubicon. Not sure if that's a valid metric to justify a truck purchase but it is cool!

I don't fault you for your choice - I still would really like to hear about the "excessive amount of electronics" and "unnecessary gadgetry" in the GX.

For perspective, I've owned the following Toyota/Lexus 4x4's since 2005: '98 Taco, '99 Taco TRD, '05 Tundra, '97 LX450 (triple locked), '07 GX470, 05GX470.

ttfjc

weekend wheeler

You paid more for the SAME THING. Lexus = Toyota. You do realize that right? The gx is a 4R with different body panels. Toyota makes Lexus. They polish up a toyota add 20% and sell them to the nordstrom crowd. Im convinced you think they are there own seperate thing but they are literally the same car. Any arguement to pay more is just crazy talk.

Why would you even mention an xterra?

JLee

Adventurer
You paid more for the SAME THING. Lexus = Toyota. You do realize that right? The gx is a 4R with different body panels. Toyota makes Lexus. They polish up a toyota add 20% and sell them to the nordstrom crowd. Im convinced you think they are there own seperate thing but they are literally the same car. Any arguement to pay more is just crazy talk.

Why would you even mention an xterra?

To be fair, in the ~2008 range there won't likely be much price disparity. The big advantage the GX has is you're guaranteed AWD/V8 with any one you can find, which gives you a vast pool of vehicles to choose from (rather than finding a 4x4 V8 Limited 4Runner, you can simply find any GX ever). Not to mention stereotypical Lexus owner dealer maintenance (which can be retrieved for free via the Lexus Owners website - for any Lexus, so you can snoop on them before you buy). Value drops dramatically with age/mileage. I paid $18,400 for an immaculate 2007 Sport with 103k in January 2015. I paid $8,150 for a lil-bit-rough 2005 non-Sport w/KDSS and 179k in October 2016.

OEM nav sucks on the GX because it's integrated with the HVAC controls. There haven't been replacement options...*drumroll*....until now! That's actually in the works as I type this -- a 10.4" Android touchscreen unit that completely replaces the OEM nav/HVAC controls/tape deck is being tested with a couple of GXOR members. I'm excited. :D

Generally non-nav units have been valued/preferred because of easy upgrade options, but hopefully that point will be rendered moot soon. Both of mine have had nav and I just used the aux jack (standard on 07+) or a ~$132 Grom Bluetooth adapter (what I'm running now).

Neosapian

Innate Outdoor Co
Some data points that I found interesting when I was truck shopping...

Curb Weight

GX470: 4871 lbs.
4Runner: 4530 lbs.

Max Payload
GX470: 1329 lbs.
4Runner: 1475 lbs.

Ground Clearance
GX470: 8.3 in.
4Runner: 9.1 in.

Max Tow Capacity
GX470: 6500 lbs.
4runner: 7000 lbs.

These figures alone matter to me. Foregoing air suspension, some electronics, thicker window glass, etc. are all important to me, as I move forward with my truck build. Unnecessary gadgetry is defined as anything that I absolutely do not need to enjoy my daily commute or off road travel. This can be characterized by over 300 pounds of "stuff" added to the GX that will not improve my experience in any significant way.

To put that into perspective: With the V8 4runner, I will be able to fill a 15 gallon Aux fuel tank and a 15 Gallon water tank with Aluminum skid plates and barely meet a GX470's stock weight. That is HUGE for me. On top of that, an additional 11% of rated payload means I can add more and stay within Insurance/Legal parameters. I value these figures. A lot of people pay little attention to vehicle weight but It is my intention to stay as close to GVWR as possible for several reasons.

Okay, ttjc. You may feel like I've ignored you. So I want to give you some quality 1 on 1 time.

I am fully aware that the GX and V8 Runner are the same vehicle platform with different cladding. Refer to aforementioned specs & comments on aftermarket support. One could argue that - myself - as well as everybody else who bought and modified a 4runner, paid more, for more. Maybe all of us Toyota owners are completely Crazy. If you are dogmatically dead set on convincing North Americans that the 4runner is a waste of money and that we're all wrong for not having bought the Lexus, I think you're fighting a loosing battle.

What next. Explain why I cross shopped the Xterra, so you can Internet Shame me? Come on Dude... A lot more built Xterra's wheeling in the backcountry than there are GX470's. I guess all of the Nissan guys are crazy as well. Lets bash Wranglers while we're at it, right? Lets not get into that on Expo Portal. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz