Favorite car camping sleeping bag

pluton

Adventurer
I just used a Western Mountaineering Sequoia for sleeping in the 4Runner in Utah, and it was nice. Oh, and it is made in the USA.

CSG

Explorer
I just used a Western Mountaineering Sequoia for sleeping in the 4Runner in Utah, and it was nice. Oh, and it is made in the USA.

For $745 and up, it damn well should have been "nice"! I'd love one of their bags but for car camping in cold weather, those big Teton bags are just as comfy and warm (and well under a hundred bucks).

This is the one I bought from Sportsman's Warehouse a few years ago. I use it only in the van for cold weather camping and have been toasty warm with overnights where the temp has dropped into the low teens. It's bigger than a twin mattress:

https://www.tetonsports.com/Sleeping-Bags/Canvas/Sportsmans-0.htm

main.jpg

But don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of down and that's all I use at home (comforters). My summer bag is a now ancient USA made Marmot down semi rectangular bag that I usually unzip to a near rectangular comforter.

My wife and I have been very happy with a North Face Dolomite Double.

It wasn’t terribly expensive and most of our REI Dividend covered it.

I’ve slept in one half alone down to 36° with a hot water bottle in the foot.

Sleeping together, we’ve been comfortable at temps a little lower than that.

B

BPD53

I really like my Sierra Designs Backcountry Bed. It's my current favorite. I own several bags, but keep coming back to it for car camping and hammock use down to the teens.

https://sierradesigns.com/bed-style/

A former all time favorite was my Kelty Cosmic 0 degree bag. It's the old style with the foot vent. Awesome cold weather bag for the price.

https://www.kelty.com/cosmic-0/

Warm weather stuff I use whatever down hammock quilt I have handy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Freebird

Adventurer
Depends. What time of year? What temp? What kind of shelter? Rainy, or dry climate?

Real cold and damp....? Wiggy's.
The rest of the time, lots of good options.

dcg141

Adventurer
I carry a 0 degree Teton Mammoth and a couple of woobies. Its huge and comfortable for 2 people. If its too warm we sleep on top with the woobies. Its only downside..did I mention its huge.

Shooter235

Use a very light Kelty bag in the summer. Fall/spring bag is a standard issue Coleman 40deg. My winter bag is an old Moonstone 0deg down mummy. By far the nicest bag I've ever owned, just rarely gets cold enough to use it.

Exploring the outdoors

Exploring the outdoors
We got the same one. Teton Mammoth 0 degree for 2 adults. We used it during our recent Mojave trip which got very cold at New York Mountains and did pretty good. You are right this sleeping bag is super big, we always have a hard time placing it back into our duffle bag and takes a lot of room inside our 4Runner.

KYC

Adventurer
We've been using a north face dolomite? 2 person sleeping bag for a while and it works pretty good. We also use it as a pillow or footrest when inside the stuff sack.

We've tried regular coleman doubles and they were warm enough but didn't compress into a small size.

Before that, the coldest we've been was 5 below 0 and a north face snow leopard and cats meow were adequate. Sometimes too warm.

Unless you are car camping is below freezing weather, any 3 season single or double sleeping bag is good. Put in liners if you need a little more warmth.

colb45

Observer
Thoughts between the Teton Mammoth and the Teton Fahrenheit Mammoth, from my understanding is the liner. Difference being one is a brushed flannel versus the 100% cotton flannel.Anyone seen the difference between the two models or have experience with them? Also the pictures show that it compresses down fairly small, but some reviews say they are bulky and huge?

Leaning towards the Teton Fahrenheit Mammoth for winter camping in our RTT.

chet6.7

Explorer
Thoughts between the Teton Mammoth and the Teton Fahrenheit Mammoth, from my understanding is the liner. Difference being one is a brushed flannel versus the 100% cotton flannel.Anyone seen the difference between the two models or have experience with them? Also the pictures show that it compresses down fairly small, but some reviews say they are bulky and huge?

Leaning towards the Teton Fahrenheit Mammoth for winter camping in our RTT.
I bought the cheaper model as I use it to cover a pet carrier in cold weather,so the lining was not important.I would select the other model if you are not going to use a comfortable lining of some type.I have not seen the better model so I can't comment on that lining,but I would not want to sleep on the cheaper model's lining.I do want to say this bag is huge,I will never get it back into the way to small stuff sack,I will try to find a huge duffel somewhere.Did I mention is is huge and difficult to manage?:)

BMWJNKY

I like all the different bags in this thread, gives me some ideas. I currently have an older Sierra Designs mummy bag that is supposed to be good to 20 degrees Fahrenheit but fails to keep me comfortable in high 30s low 40s even with a 2" thick Big Agnes pad and an extra liner.

adamhoward

I have a North Face Homestead Twin

The bag is very wide, the twin-bed-size rectangular cut could fit for two people if they wanted to cuddle. The 20-degree rating is a little ambitious, because of the wide cutlets warm air out, plus there’s no hood. I’d trust this bag in the forties but would pack a blanket or wear extra layers if there’s any chance of a freeze. Me and my wife we all loved the loud graphic on the front and the bag gets bonus points for its special cell-phone pocket.

colb45

Observer
I bought the cheaper model as I use it to cover a pet carrier in cold weather,so the lining was not important.I would select the other model if you are not going to use a comfortable lining of some type.I have not seen the better model so I can't comment on that lining,but I would not want to sleep on the cheaper model's lining.I do want to say this bag is huge,I will never get it back into the way to small stuff sack,I will try to find a huge duffel somewhere.Did I mention is is huge and difficult to manage?:)

For the price point and buying off of amazon (worst case return it) I am going to try one of them. Look pretty decent and any of the other reviews people have been more than happy. Just need something that is going to be decent in the RTT for a bit of Canadian snow camping.

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
I like things to be lightweight and compactable even for car camping; don't want to wrestle with flannel. My favorite sleeping bags: LL Bean down 20 and 35. Put the 35 inside the 20 and you'll be warm below zero. I tested it at 5F above and was hot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles