Favorite car camping sleeping bag

Bakes5

Ok....what is your favorite bag you don't have to worry about carrying? Mine is that -35 or -40 monster XXL canvas rectangular one you get at Bass Pro or Sportsmans warehouse. They are dirt cheap at ~$150. In the summer I sleep in top of it with a lightweight bag or quilt and it's like a friggin feather bed in the outdoors. In the fall or winter I snuggle up in it. Never been cold in it once.

CSG

Explorer
I've got one of those Sportsman's Warehouse bags that's oversized, rectangular, and rated to 0. It's what I use in my van and is a great bag with its flannel interior. Weighs a ton and is bulky so it's definitely a bag you don't want to hump around but I have slept warmly in low teen weather. It's a Teton that's 40" wide and 80+" long. Best thing is they're about $60 but is excellent as a cold weather comfort bag. In warmer weather, I use my old semi-rectangular Marmot (made in USA) down bag that I've had for 25 years. Usually, unzipped as a comforter.

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Wife and I have the double Teton going on 4 yrs great value for the $. I have a single Teton xtra long I use when solo. Bulky yes but roomy and comfy. I hate my mummy bag, only use it /like it when tarp camping in miserable places.

monty99xj

Hands down best ever sleeping bag I've owned is the North Face Cat's Meow. Used it during summer, winter, fall and spring all usually in the West Virgina thru New York Appalachain area but it has made a couple trips to the Rocky's. I use a little fleece blanket with it and I have never had a bad nights sleep in it.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
We use 3 different bags based on weather, but for the colder trips we use Grizzly over size bags, not small but very comfortable.

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
In the suburban I use 3 inches of memory foam under a grizzly van bag, super comfy and warm in the cold and a sheet on top in the warm weather, plenty of room with 2 dogs and occasionally a camp partner.

Choff

Adventurer
In our conversion van we use Cabela's -20 Down rectangle sleeping bags, not zipped together, and have nice air camping mats ,1" thick.
some times bags are a little hot, but never to cold!!
like sleeping in heaven!!

Hummelator

Adventurer
I have two.
A woods oversized rectangle bag rated for -4C that I use in the summer ( the spots I camp may get to +30C durning the day but at night the temperature drops significantly)
The other is a cabelas brand barrel bag- think a roomy mummy bag. It's rated for -15c and it's probably my favourite bag. I used it last week during a hunting trip. The trailer ran out of propane at 3 in the morning and neither of us wanted to get up and change tanks so we slept in the cold. -20c that night and I slept perfectly warm in the bag.

LJFTW

Use the same bag for everything...a Feathered Friends Hummingbird 20F bag. I have separate sleeping pads for backpacking and car camping and I have a big cot for car camping, but I see no reason to have two sleeping bags.

Mucker

Cabela's Alaskan Guide -20deg bag

Another vote for the Cabela's Alaskan Guide -20deg bag. Nice down top, but synthetic below, since it gets compressed anyway. squared off corners with good air circulation control for when it gets really cold

ramatl73

Observer
Marmot 30Deg Trestles X-Wide or Marmot 40deg Nanowave

These two are my go two bags. The Trestles is just right for cold weather camping because I sleep hot. The Nanowave I use mostly in the spring and late fall when sleeping in a hammock. Normally put a fleece liner in it to beef it up.

Mgyver1

Observer
Wiggy’s

I’m a big fan of Wiggy’s. They’re the only bags still made in the USA, they’re comfy and they encourage you to wash it after every use. I don’t think their price is outrageous, given what you get for the money. I have two 0 degree rectangular bags zipped together in my RTT and it’s pretty darn cozy.

C-Fish

Adventurer
In the FJC, 5” memory foam mattress and normal sheets (full). Two down comforters based on temps....works great.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
You might consider a better mattress and using quilts.

I use one of three down backpacking quilts in my RTT (which is car-camping after all). My favorite so far is the JacksRBetter Katahdin . But, I slept in the tent last night and though it only dropped to 25ºF, it is nearing it's limit for me (despite being a "four-season quilt"). When it's cold, quilts can become quite drafty if you toss and turn a lot.

Good thread. I've spent the last three weeks thinking about buying a Western Mountaineering bag for winter camping in the RTT, but can't come to terms with the $s. Thanks to a post above, I'm looking at Wiggys now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online