New JL???

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I really like the new addition. But I am not a big fan of the light in the fender. I cant wait to get new detail about the diesel engine.

The leaked owners manual aboslutely 100% confirms there is an export 2.2 turbo diesel, and the 3.0 Eco diesel for the North American market.
(Same engine in the GC and the RAM 1500)

From the info we have, it sounds like the 3.0 diesel will be for next model year, so approx. 12 months from now.

-Dan

moabian

The official unveiling will be at the LA Auto Show on Dec. 1...even though a lot of photos are out there already. The easier to fold windshield and flatter dash appear to be throwbacks to the CJ era. A step backwards is a step in the right direction. I only kept my JKUR for a couple of years. I never liked it...and a huge reason for that was the virtually-impossible-to-fold windshield. It was never as much fun as my ol' Scrambler, which I'm incredibly lucky to have gotten back.

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador
Someone driving a 2016 JKU Hard Rock is ragging on the new JL???? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA......

Someone that actually beats the **** out of a hard rock AND a 65k+ AEV JKUR is ragging on the new JL actually. No tire shine mall squatters here. Fake anodized plastic trim, led fog light (?) strips built into the fenders which is great because I'm sure that's cheap to replace if you bash a fender into an obstacle, heated steering wheel, tft center display, stop/start... But I digress. I forget the target audience of these is now people that think the gravel parking spaces at a state park is offroading. This is truly the grand cherokee of jeep wranglers.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
lol that was the JKs target too. Vary few people take their 4x4s off-road. That goes across the board. Cj guys said the same thing about the TJ which is a better off-roader than a cj or a Jk. Trindy Jeep if memory serves me right is what they called it. One could argue that more Subaru outback's see serious back country use in jeeps Land Rovers or Toyotas. Let's not forget the dirtbags first love the Toyota pick up. All jeeps are made for people who drive on the pavement. the few of us who Offroad are the minority. I just think the Looks better than the Jk. I've had a TJ and Two JKs. Currently I hate driving my LR3.

Last edited:

ivers

Observer
Someone that actually beats the **** out of a hard rock AND a 65k+ AEV JKUR is ragging on the new JL actually. No tire shine mall squatters here. Fake anodized plastic trim, led fog light (?) strips built into the fenders which is great because I'm sure that's cheap to replace if you bash a fender into an obstacle, heated steering wheel, tft center display, stop/start... But I digress. I forget the target audience of these is now people that think the gravel parking spaces at a state park is offroading. This is truly the grand cherokee of jeep wranglers.

And who cares if one does not go in the hardest place with his jeep? This is a modernized wrangler.

JL

I have been following the JL very closely because I have 166K on my 3.8, I am a geologist and go places where roads don't. Talk about beating the crap out of a jeep that is me. I have hauled 1/2 ton of sod to redo my lawn in the back of this thing, towed max trailer weight allover CA, an average trip of about 2000 miles, drive over rough grading jobs an into areas being developed where no roads exist.. Here is the thing just because the new JL gets a-lot of refinement doesn't make it any less the 4 wheeler than the jku hard rock or recon ( assuming comparable models rubicon - rubicon) FCA has gone out of the way to cure many of the complaints on the JK series. The newer pentastar is coming an 8 speed transmission the axels are stronger yet the size remains within 2 inches of the JKU. however it has a wider track. Slam it if you must. but it will be an improvement over the best off roader ever built. The jku is an awesome vehicle and there are is no reason to think the JL will be any less in fact from what I have seen it will be better. Having started with a 77 cj-7 and now going to the JL god and $ permitting.

in the old CJ my fabric covered doors would blow open during high winds and I had to use bungees to hold them on. Something that the majority of JK owners have no clue about. ( the good old days) I was used to driving with layers gloves and hoodies (IN 1977) on just to keep warm in so cal. in the winter, SO CAL can you even imagine.

SO heated seats ( which I installed in my current ride JKU rubi, and a upgraded radio do not render a jeep less capable off road. Just because it has creature comforts doesn't make it a less capable off roader . Take a 97 Toyota land cruiser. Full lockers front, center, and rear full ladder frame, pretty much anything you want in a an off road vehicle but wait oh it has leather heated seats, sunroofs, a nice interior good dash Hmm how can that be?
I wish my current Jk had leather because then I would not have the mud, coffee and other stains in the cloth seats.

so here it is the New Jl can fit 35s with no lift comes standard with 33's and will fit 37s with a 2 inch lift. To do that Chrysler must be pretty sure of the axel strength of the new axles.
To me that speaks to credibility and ability

Mako1114

Adventurer
As far as creature comforts go in the JL, I like the Auxillary switches. I'm not sure if the JKs have them but my LJR surely doesn't.

Cheers

bdp1978

Adventurer

This argument makes your distaste for the JL even more of a cliche'....you realize that right? We could literally replace JKU with TJ...and JL with JKU in your argument and just turn back the clock 11yrs.

rkj__

Adventurer
so here it is the New Jl can fit 35s with no lift comes standard with 33's and will fit 37s with a 2 inch lift. To do that Chrysler must be pretty sure of the axel strength of the new axles.
To me that speaks to credibility and ability

Ok, that is awesome.

It cracks me up with all of these comments. Who cares if you are not a hard core rock crawler and like the Jeep for what it is and use it to get groceries? We all share the interest in Jeeps and that is cool with me. New JL has some cool stuff and the new features will be great to some, and not to others.

AgentOrange76

Adventurer
I actually quite like it. Tons of pictures and videos from New Zealand circulating on Instagram too. I think I was expecting it to lose many of the classic Jeep features and it didn't. I like the CJ cues in the grille, I love the new interior (especially the body-colored dash), I love that it has an honest-to-God ragtop, I love that it keeps the folding windshield and a straight drive. I can dig it. I'm excited to test drive one just because and REALLY excited to see the new truck now. I think Jeep knows their customer base and knows the value of the Wrangler in their lineup, and I was expecting the worst and got something I think I like better than the JK. Still can't get into the lines of the 4 door though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles