New JL???

bdp1978

Adventurer
@unkamonkey +1

The only comment I'm willing to offer, is that one should be prepared to endure failing electronic components on this wrangler, mainly the ESS system. To us the ESS was a deal breaker, thou we are still interested in the future 2 door jeep truck.. we will not be the beta testers for this new jeep. So again, if one can handle the ESS (engine start stop) then by all means this retro/throw back offspring of a TJ & CJ should please you. But I'd hold out for the diesel unless the ESS is going to be standard on that model too..

Jeep has been using the ESS system for 4yrs now......press a button and it goes away.

Dalko43

Explorer
The leaked owners manual aboslutely 100% confirms there is an export 2.2 turbo diesel, and the 3.0 Eco diesel for the North American market.
(Same engine in the GC and the RAM 1500)

From the info we have, it sounds like the 3.0 diesel will be for next model year, so approx. 12 months from now.

-Dan

FCA is really going to put the 3.0l v6 ecodiesel in the new Jeep? That seems like a bit of an overkill for that size of vehicle. The 2.8l VM Motori-derived engine that's currently used in the GM Colorado seems far more appropriate both in terms of size/weight and torque output. I believe they actually use that engine in the Jeep variants sold overseas.

I guess we'll have to wait and see which engine they go with.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
FCA is really going to put the 3.0l v6 ecodiesel in the new Jeep? That seems like a bit of an overkill for that size of vehicle. The 2.8l VM Motori-derived engine that's currently used in the GM Colorado seems far more appropriate both in terms of size/weight and torque output. I believe they actually use that engine in the Jeep variants sold overseas.

I guess we'll have to wait and see which engine they go with.

The leaked user manual makes it explicitly clear.

The 3.0 turbo eco diesel will be in the Wrangler for the North American market.
(I agree, it's overkill for the Wrangler)

The export market will get a 2.2 turbo diesel.
(Which I personally think makes more sense)

I will be curious to see what gets better mileage in real-world use.

-Dan

have you driven a diesel Colorado?

I have and I was underwhelmed . I drive a 08 rubicon jku that has a 166,000 on it so it isn't hard for me to be overwhelmed.

MOguy

Explorer
I've had my TJ for over 15 years and it is plenty comfortable for me it works really well for me but I would love the extra room of the new Wranglers.

I do take mine off road often which I know the newer Wranglers are perfectly capable in that respect but things get dirty and I drive with the top off a lot. I have been caught in quite a few rain storms a lot of dirt inside my Jeep. I don't want all the electric switches in my Jeep.

I have a very very cushy crossover/SUV for the family car. I appreciate all the niceties in that but in my Jeep I just don't want all that extra stuff to get messed up.

I want to be able to keep my Jeep for a very very long time I just like things simpler for my Jeep.

Dalko43

Explorer
I have and I was underwhelmed . I drive a 08 rubicon jku that has a 166,000 on it so it isn't hard for me to be overwhelmed.

A lot of other people who have driven it have found that 2.8l diesel is more than adequate for normal driving. It doesn't drive the same as a v6 gasoline, but with the torque and fuel economy it provides, I would take it over GM's v6, or any naturally aspirated v6, without hesitation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94