Help with ideas for a fishing/beach camping rig

Felipe

Observer
Hello,
I need help with ideas for a fishing/beach camping rig that I’m planning to build. The vehicle is a MAN TGM 13.240 4x4 DoKa that I already own. The purpose is to have an off road capable rig for fishing trips to the beach and be able to stay there for 2-3 days. It is going to be used mainly in Baja.
What I have in mind so far is a mix between a flat bed truck and an expedition trailer, but I’m open to any suggestion. The free length of the chassis is 4 meters.
I will love to be able to carry a small boat.

Musts are:

Double bed (Could be a roof tent)
Fresh water
Cooking capabilities
Cargo space for usual camping equipment (chairs, table, awning, etc)
Fridge/freezer/ice box to keep food and hopefully the catch of the day.
Porta potti or cassette toilet

Any advice that points me in the right direction will be much appreciated

Regards
Felipe

DSC_2217.jpg
DSC_2218.jpg
C S6000029.jpeg

Paddy

Adventurer
Go for composting toilet. They are awesome. Also, having made a camper using a cab-over UD chassis, I will not do that again. The ride is too rough down the highway. Then again, in the American west we have huge space that needs to be covered. In my sprinter van we would routinely cover 600+ miles in a day. That would suck in a cab over.

Last edited:
For beach use tires are very important. Are the ones you have now 315/80R22.5 or 385/65R22.5? For sand the 385s would be much better. But 22.5s have not so good bead retention at low psi.
Better still would be 395/85R20 Michelin XZL2s, which have a speed limitation of 110kph (most other 395s are only good for 90-100kph) and cost about 900euros for new 2016 built ones out of the Netherlands. If course they need different rims, these MIGHT fit - work with beadlocks for low pressures so you don't debead (been there, done that).
https://www.vrakking-tires.com/20-inch/806-39585r20-michelin-xzl2-tire.html
http://wartimefinds1.homestead.com/Tires-Wheels.html

Charlie

Felipe

Observer
For beach use tires are very important. Are the ones you have now 315/80R22.5 or 385/65R22.5? For sand the 385s would be much better. But 22.5s have not so good bead retention at low psi.
Better still would be 395/85R20 Michelin XZL2s, which have a speed limitation of 110kph (most other 395s are only good for 90-100kph) and cost about 900euros for new 2016 built ones out of the Netherlands. If course they need different rims, these MIGHT fit - work with beadlocks for low pressures so you don't debead (been there, done that).
https://www.vrakking-tires.com/20-inch/806-39585r20-michelin-xzl2-tire.html
http://wartimefinds1.homestead.com/Tires-Wheels.html

Charlie

Hello Charlie,
Thanks for your answer and information.
I have a set of Michelins 385/85R20 XZL (not XZL2s) on Hutchinson two piece rims with beadlocks ready for the truck. Im also installing CTIs.
Thank again
Regards
Felipe

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Connect with Grant Wilson. He does lots of beach / fishing camping. He built the well known Subaru Outback wagonofdoom. He’s been building up a really nice Tacoma recently lots of his gear ideas no doubt come from his beach / fishing camping trips.

Very nice guy Im sure he has lots of great ideas.

Felipe

Observer
Might be worth talking with David Deere about his experiences and suggestions. One of his campsite pictures I saw on his blog

Thank so much to all for your comments and suggestions.
What I have in mind so far is more like a kind of a BIG pick up in which I can set up in the back a roof tent and other camping/fishing gear, maybe a small boat.

Regards
Felipe

Der-BMW-335i-GT-von-vorne-fotoshowBigImage-c304efb5-191890.jpg
img_0383.jpg
img_0372.jpg
img_0258-1.jpg
p0006125.jpg
417e4071e9d4c07d252d7e10d4c47a61.jpg

Maninga

Adventurer
Makes sense. I'm converting this to a big pickup/ute in the next few months, we bought a farm and needed a vehicle for it, truck is otherwise perfectly set up

DSC_9887.JPG

Edit: Check out Unidan (www.unidan.com.au), they have some nice slide on ideas

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste