What rear shocks for a 2004 Taco Prerunner TRD driven fast on rocky bumpy roads?

dentedvw

Wire twister
Imagine you have a 2004 tacoma trd that isn't empty, has camping junk, recovery junk, water, food, toys, all the doodads in the back. I have Rancho RS999180 now and they get "tired" quickly, and the dampening is reduced enough within a few minutes of driving up a favorite mountain road (go up a few times per week if possible) that they become overwhelmed and seem to stop damping. Soon it's full droop to full stuff to full droop to full stuff and it's a ****show with wheels hopping all over and wouldn't you know, it can be hard to keep your heading when your wheels aren't in contact with the ground. :Wow1:
Right. So, remote reservoirs, or what? Is it just overheating?
Yeah, I could slow down, but then it's rocking all over and it takes ages to get to where I am headed. Which for some isn't a problem but when the goal is get to launch (paragliding) while the wind is good and the thermals are there and you gotta get home before a certain time because you're still expected to make dinner and put away that thing and pick up the whatsit and so on.
On pavement it seems fine. No wheel hopping. But once I hit the dirt and the bumps are non-stop it gets wild, things go pear shaped and traction is lost.
When I say fast I mean between 20 and 40mph. Less in corners, I am not a complete mad man. It's a northern Utah mountain road. I don't cut corners, either. Don't judge me. :)

JLee

Adventurer
Icon/Radflo/Fox/King remote resi shocks. Call Mark at MetalTech4x4 and he'll help you out.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Shocks are never going to make up for the design deficiencies of a leaf spring rear suspension. Want to drive fast then it's long arm trailing link suspension and coilover shocks and springs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94