Charliedontsurf FJ Cruiser Build...

prerunner221

Adventurer
Looks like you want to undertake a pretty big build. The only thing I might suggest you stay away from is that Road Armor bumper. That thing is beefy, but it weighs a ton. You can get some serious protection without getting into something so huge. The ARB (what I have) offers a ton of protection which I have personally tested successfully, and I've seen some Domellos take some big hits while protection the vehicle. You're going to be mounting a bumper, winch, lights and maybe even some coms up front so take all of that into consideration.

As for tire size, I first upgraded to 285, then later stepped into 295s. If I had to do over again, I'd stay 285. The small size difference has made a big difference in shift points and they rub, even with an aggressive chop. I love the way they look, but I'll be going back to 285's soon than later (I'm on a OME heavy lift for reference).

The rest of the list looks good. Lots of money, but I did the same thing. If you're going to try to get a few things put on before going to Expo, I'd do your lift, tires, rack and tent, and maybe some Maxtrax. Lift and tires to gain some clearance and you'll need the suspension to carry the added weight of the tent and all your gear. I never felt comfortable using the factory rack with my tent, but with the Bajarack up there I have no issues with the tent, or Thule box depending on where I'm going and what I'm doing.

Driving from Florida to Expo west, let me make another recommendation. A fridge. I did the drive from Orlando to Colorado last year with a Canyon Cooler (outstanding product) but having my Dometic fridge for the trip to Expo East this year made me a believer in the fridge. It's so much easier. No worries about finding ice, no loss of interior volume (half the cooler is ice). Can't recommend a fridge for extended travel enough.

The only other thing I put into all of my rigs for long travels is a DVD player. The passenger has something to do during those long stretches, especially if you're like me and do all the driving. It's also really nice for the driver just to listen to the movie while driving. The area you'll be driving from here to Expo will be full of areas that don't get radio reception so you can listen to the movie in those areas too.

48023781-303C-4C7E-B0E8-3A153DF150E2.jpg05FD0F89-6FDE-4738-88BB-13578BAD1534.jpg

Got my Rhino Rack Backbone and Pioneer Platform and installed my James Baroud Grand Raid over the past couple days.

The Backbone and Pioneer Rack system seems made fairly well. But it was about the biggest PITA to install that I've ever seen on a roof rack. I had to drill 3 sets of holes in order to fit the cross support bars on the FJ. Not a huge deal but not exactly “plug and play” as you may be lead to believe. I also wasted at least a couple hours trying to figure out what was going on with some of the screws. I thought the problem initially lay with my FJ bolt holes but it turns out that Rhino Rack sent me a handful of bolts that were out of spec but looked identical to the other bolts they sent. I was also missing some washers. The next issue I had was that while installing everything on the FJ, it was impossible for me to fit my hand underneath the Pioneer Platform in order to tighten down and secure the bolts on the middle pillar where the Backbone system attaches. I had to have my wife do that part Asher hands are much tinier than mine. I can't count how many times I said to myself, “why in the f#%* would they design it this way”!? Anyway, I got it all installed and it's nice. If I could do it over I may have gone with maybe Front Runner or something. But it's there now and it's not coming down!

I have nothing but awesome things to say about the James Baroud Grand Raid. This thing I AWESOME!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles