Thread: Wrist watches for the adventure-minded?

I've been wearing a Seiko SSC017 Chrono Diver on a nice 'Bond' style Nato Strap for the last few weeks. It's quickly becoming my favorite.

Kinda like the OP, atomic Eco-drive is my daily, it's just great to have perfect time and never have to fiddle with it as far as batteries or anything else. Nice watches that are kind of sporty but nice looking, although I wouldn't want to beat mine up.

On the weekends or outdoor trips I go to my Suunto Core, pretty easy to find on sale. I like the big readout and having all the toys if I want them. I'll re-calibrate occasionally but just treat it for what it is, an approximation. If I really want accuracy I'd probably be carrying a GPS. And agreed on the GPS watches. Awesome in theory or maybe for weekend trips, but I don't want to deal with charging and short life when I'm in the woods. The Core does go through about a battery a year, but I just get the packs from Amazon and they are super cheap and the watch warns you for a couple weeks before it dies.

I've tried the automatics, wore an SKX007 for a long time, but they just didn't turn out to be for me. Fine if you are wearing it everyday so it gets wound but even then the time tends to creep. and if you are switching between watches having to reset it all the time sucks. Solid watch though for durability, etc.

Like someone else said, kinda depends if you just time/date, or a few functions. I tend to use my stopwatch/timer, sunrise/sunset, and a couple other functions quite a bit. I've thought about a Luminox a few times, not sure if I want to go back to super basic.

I've got a SKX007 as a daily watch and its my go to watch every chance I get BUT if I'm on a hiking or expedition trip, I'm always grabbing the Casio G-Shock, 10+ years on the original battery and still kicking...

Maxxis is giving away a Casio G shock if you buy 4 tires. Is this a decent G Shock? Any idea what model it is?
    http://www.maxxis.com/maxxis-razr-mt-promotion
    Arizona

Rolex Sub....... always worn everywhere I go.

Garmin Fenix 3 sapphire. I love it, in normal watch mode it lasts a number of weeks. I use it when I workout usually 5 days a week and it lasts me at least about 10 days. I wear it hiking and backpacking to track my routes. There is nothing I dislike about it. Worth every penny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wear a Luminox 3050 most days, it survived the Army and 8 years later it's still here; a lot first responders favor them as well. I don't like to rely on a watch that requires I plug it in every few days, that said, I would love one of the new Garmin Fenix 5 watches with built in HR monitors. I have an Omega Speedmaster Professional "Moon Watch" that I wear when I need to be more formal yet not dressy, that is however, IMHO far too much money for an everyday wearer or for beating around in the bush, same goes for a Rolex, but different strokes......

Default Watches

Quote Originally Posted by Tex68w View Post
    I wear a Luminox 3050 most days, it survived the Army and 8 years later it's still here; a lot first responders favor them as well. I don't like to rely on a watch that requires I plug it in every few days, that said, I would love one of the new Garmin Fenix 5 watches with built in HR monitors. I have an Omega Speedmaster Professional "Moon Watch" that I wear when I need to be more formal yet not dressy, that is however, IMHO far too much money for an everyday wearer or for beating around in the bush, same goes for a Rolex, but different strokes......
    Good watches, really good watches are meant to be worn.... not hidden in a watch box only trotted out on special occasions..... wear them, you can't take them with you in the end!

Quote Originally Posted by old .45 View Post
    Good watches, really good watches are meant to be worn.... not hidden in a watch box only trotted out on special occasions..... wear them, you can't take them with you in the end!
    Bingo! About the only time I'll switch out of wearing one of my Rolex's or Omega Speedmaster Professional is when I know I'm going to be doing hard physical labor.
    2002 Lexus Land Cruiser (LLC)
    2002 Pleasure Way Traverse Class B pop top van
    2001 GMC 4x4 2500HD EC, LB
    2007 Nash 27-5B fifth wheel

Quote Originally Posted by old .45 View Post
    Rolex Sub....... always worn everywhere I go.
    Same here, I have owned 22 years
    2011 3500 crew, dually, Ram (sold)
    45' Zephyr DP, ISM (sold)
    1150 Artic Fox TC (sold)
    2016 RAM DRW crew cab Limited
    2011 KLR 650 sold
    2011 33 fiver(sold)
    2017 Host Mammoth Camper
    2018 RAM 5500 crew (ordered)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast